Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:17 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

8 GB iPhone 5c Packaging Label Shown in New Photo

Following reports this morning claiming that Apple is introducing an 8 GB iPhone 5c tomorrow, Engadget has received a photo of what is said to be the label from the device's packaging.

The label is from a blue 8 GB iPhone 5c and carries a new part number of MG902 to go along with with the existing A1507 model number that is used on iPhone 5c devices sold in Europe and the Middle East for compatibility with cellular networks in those countries.

Article Link: 8 GB iPhone 5c Packaging Label Shown in New Photo
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:19 AM   #2
JerryCards
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
Memories are dirty cheap nowadays, 32GB chips only cost around $20 in retails. Apple will get them much cheaper. They should put much more in iPhones.
JerryCards is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

Interesting, maybe they'll only offer an 8GB version in the future along the new iPhone 6?

2013 13" MacBook Air + iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.
Eddy Munn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:20 AM   #4
jctech
macrumors newbie

Wow

Another even more useless iPhone 5c
jctech is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

8 GB is very impractical when you need 1.5 GB just to install an update...
Cougarcat is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 AM   #6
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Go home Apple, you're drunk
MacFather is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 AM   #7
carjakester
macrumors 68000

I agree that 8 gb is much too low for todays standards.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Frizers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
8 GB is very impractical when you need 1.5 GB just to install an update...
1.8 gb on my 4s :/

and this may suggest that the base model for the 6 is still going to be 16 gb... ah well
Frizers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Merkie
macrumors 65816

8GB is an insult to customers. 16GB barely cuts it when you're using the iPhone as it's supposed to be used (some music, some photos, some apps).

I know some people with an 8GB iPhone, and they're always running out of space. And these are light users, who only have a few apps and occasionally take a photo or two. I'd say 8GB devices are basically crippled out of the box.

Apple needs to stop this madness.

Last edited by Merkie; Mar 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
Merkie is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:24 AM   #10
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

The whole point is that Apple has spent years getting buyers used to (resigned to?) $100 differences between memory steps that cost a fraction of that, instead of allowing user upgradeable memory.

The same price step concept should work with less memory as well. Even though it only lowers the BOM by about $5, Apple could act like it lowers the retail price a lot more, thus keeping up appearances.

They could also use its limitations as a reason to sell monthly add-on cloud services.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Prof.
macrumors 601

This is what pisses me off about Apple. As stated above, I can buy a 32GB thumb drive for around $20 - maybe even less on sale - and Apple is still offering an 8GB iPhone...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:26 AM   #12
kevinws
macrumors member

I would of considered a 5c after my 4 battery died. If black or grey would of been an option. Instead I went with a Moto X. So far I really like it.
kevinws is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Solver
macrumors regular

Apple is getting new iPhone 4 and 4S users ready for a major future iOS version, which won't work on their devices.
Solver is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Supacon
macrumors member

My guess is that this device is intended as a gateway into Apple's ecosystem - a throwaway product that is sold for slightly less to entice people to get an iPhone where they may otherwise choose a feature phone or low-end Android phone.

Once its owner gets used to the device and starts to use it - and quickly runs out of space, they will be obliged to buy an upgraded model with more storage during the next product cycle.

Obviously shaving off half the (already paltry 16GB) storage doesn't save Apple a lot of money, but it allows them to target a new range of consumers with the latest devices. This isn't a product intended for those who know what they are getting and who want to use all the capabilities of an iPhone to its fullest.
Supacon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:29 AM   #15
Merkie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinws View Post
I would of considered a 5c after my 4 battery died. If black or grey would of been an option. Instead I went with a Moto X. So far I really like it.
"Would of"? I'm not a native English speaker, but I'm pretty sure you mean "would have".
Merkie is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:33 AM   #16
StintheBeast
macrumors member

Apple's products are great. But it's crap like this that actually makes me think they're retarded. I was hoping that the base model of the iPhone 6 would be 32 gb for the 200 dollar price point. Cuz it switched from 8 up to 16 a few years ago. How do you even justify selling an 8 gb phone in 2014!?!?!? Bad Apple.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:34 AM   #17
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
The whole point is that Apple has spent years getting buyers used to (resigned to?) $100 differences between memory steps that cost a fraction of that, instead of allowing user upgradeable memory.

The same price step concept should work with less memory as well. Even though it only lowers the BOM by about $5, Apple could act like it lowers the retail price a lot more, thus keeping up appearances.

They could also use its limitations as a reason to sell monthly add-on cloud services.
Right on... The non-upgradeable memory is to force your money through Apples hands if you need more Mem. They are doing the exactly same thing across the Mac Lines. Being a long time Apple Fan, it has been years of disappointment as I watch Apple move to form over function and in cases like this, money grabbing.
Macboy Pro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:35 AM   #18
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
This is what pisses me off about Apple. As stated above, I can buy a 32GB thumb drive for around $20 - maybe even less on sale - and Apple is still offering an 8GB iPhone...
Flash in thumb drives is not the same, it's much slower and cheaper. That said, I agree, Apple charges way too much for increases in memory. The iPhone 6 should be 199/249/299 for 32, 64, and 128. But sadly this is a good indication that it'll be the same as the 5S.
Cougarcat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:35 AM   #19
Solver
macrumors regular

Brilliant! Here is an iPhone that people will want to upgrade shortly after they buy one.
Solver is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:36 AM   #20
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
$19.99 is what my last SanDisk 32GB thumb drive cost. That was the NAND, connection piece, the plastic to hold it all together, and possibly whatever licensing fee the company paid for the privilege of using USB.

...and I'm sure the company still made a profit on it.

Name-brand 32GB SD cards are going for ~$13 on Newegg.

64GB SD cards are going for ~$29. Apple charges a $200 premium for that.

Storage is one area I cannot defend Apple (or any smartphone maker) on.

In Apple's defense, new Android devices still come in terrible 8GB and 16GB configurations. With many of those, you don't even have the option of paying for a 64GB version.

Maybe if other makers went with 32, 64, or even 128GB as their base/standard, Apple would offer it as well.
Xenomorph is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:36 AM   #21
Nordichund
macrumors 6502

My partner just bought the 16GB 5s and thinks it sucks big time due to low memory. 8GB is a complete and utter joke, just like the high priced 5c compared to the 5s.

I seriously think some of those responsible at Apple are on some way out cloud.

I'm an Apple fan, I'm waiting for the specs of the iPhone 6. If they are poor then my next phone will be non Apple and screw the greedy app store which charges ridiculous prices here in Norway.
Nordichund is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:38 AM   #22
iZac
macrumors 65816

Great, obsolete before it even gets on shop shelves.
iZac is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:38 AM   #23
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

If this phone is free on contract, I can see the market for it. It would be perfect for my mom. She has a 16GB 4S that has no music, no videos, and hardly any apps or photos. I would imagine there are plenty of folks out there that are just like her.
ugahairydawgs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:39 AM   #24
smokestack
macrumors member

Apple has stuck with the 8/16/32/64 GB range for far too long. While the markup at $100 for each increment may have been reasonable 5 years ago, the rapidly declining cost of flash storage has made the price markups unreasonable. Their profit on the markups goes up month by month while the consumer is getting little benefit.

Say what you will about the new PONO player, I am hoping that its 128GB storage will force apple to address the artificial 64GB cap they have put on their products.
smokestack is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:39 AM   #25
sunapple
macrumors member

Sure, it's not much, but I think that 8GB might just be right for me. If your music is on your iPod and you barely play any games or have any photos, there's really not much space to be needed. I currently have 32GB, but I don't really use it. I'd go with 8GB if the price is low enough (might get very low in the secondhand market!).
sunapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion