Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hope for Optical Image Stabilization in iPhone 6 Revived with Supplier Rumors

Late last week, shares of InvenSense rose on rumors that the company had won a contract to supply sensors for Apple's upcoming iPhone 6. InvenSense supplies sensors such as accelerometers and gyroscopes to major phone manufacturers, but the company has yet to publicly land a deal with Apple. The validity of the rumor seems up for debate, however, as a Needham & Company analyst soon released a note saying that he "did not get the impression" from InvenSense's CEO and CFO that such an agreement was in place. Of course, that information would be under a strict non-disclosure agreement with Apple, severely limiting what InvenSense executives could tell the analyst.

Regardless, The Motley Fool speculates on what InvenSense could bring to Apple. While InvenSense could offer drop-in replacements for the current gyroscope and accelerometer sensors in the iPhone, the company also provides Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) technology for mobile phones:
Quote:
There's one additional socket that InvenSense could win on the iPhone -- an OIS gyroscope. The burgeoning technology is used to improve smartphone camera's by stabilizing the image using a gyroscope. Samsung neglected to use the technology in the Galaxy S5, but Apple may decide to integrate it into the iPhone 6. If it does, InvenSense is a clear choice.
Image from Electronics 360
Optical Image Stabilization remains relatively new in the smartphone market, and uses a motion-tracking system to compensate for device shakiness, allowing for sharper photos and video. This video demonstrates the product:

Apple presently offers software-based image stabilization in its iPhone 5s, but has definitely been researching optical image stabilization for the iPhone. Earlier this year, an Apple patent application detailing an OIS system was published. The employee who authored that patent was hired by Apple in 2012 from a company working on the same optical image stabilization technology.

Whether or not Apple is actually planning on incorporating Optical Image Stabilization technology in the next iPhone or not, it's clear the company's engineers are working on it. Historically, Apple has made steady improvements to the iPhone camera with each subsequent generation, and the last several generations have focused on image quality improvements rather than simply increasing megapixel counts.

Article Link: Hope for Optical Image Stabilization in iPhone 6 Revived with Supplier Rumors
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:24 PM   #2
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

there is always room for improvement on iPhone cameras
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

The iPhone will become an all-rounder, if Apple pursues tech innovation such as this.

When it comes with large memory (128+ GB), it can be an entertainment center, phone, near-pro camera, jukebox, and internet/email computer, among other things. It takes the place of more and more devices scattered about the home and office which take space and energy.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:28 PM   #4
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Sweet! Maybe now we'll get higher quality leak photos!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Z8beema
macrumors 6502

Why are the colors so drastically different between the two pictures?
Z8beema is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 PM   #6
TimeSquareDesi
macrumors regular

This video was recorded on a potato.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:31 PM   #7
JerryCards
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
Hope it is true. Glad to see iPhone has more and more powerful camera.
JerryCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:34 PM   #8
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Apple always makes me feel that prior camera in the iPhone is crap when they introduce the new one.
BornAgainMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

I really hope this makes it into the next iPhone. It's one of those small features from my Lumia 920 that would make the iPhone so much better. The potential for better low light capabilities would be a welcomed addition for me.
Agent-P is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:43 PM   #10
SeenJeen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
Apple always makes me feel that prior camera in the iPhone is crap when they introduce the new one.
Ehh... the quality between snaps from my 4S and 5S aren't dramatic... especially not like going from the 3G to the 4.

But yes, its still a "little" better, and makes me feel like my old phone is a "little" worse
SeenJeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:44 PM   #11
Illusion986
macrumors 6502

The end of blurry leaks is near
Illusion986 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:44 PM   #12
irnchriz
Banned

Wish I was privy to these 'rumours' prior to them breaking, could make a killing on the stock market.

Do these guys ever get investigated for stock manipulation or insider trading??
irnchriz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:48 PM   #13
carjakester
macrumors 68020

the iPhone always seems to have much clearer photos than most other phones. Glad they are always looking to improve it as most people will always have their phone to take photos.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:49 PM   #14
bboucher790
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
The iPhone will become an all-rounder, if Apple pursues tech innovation such as this.

When it comes with large memory (128+ GB), it can be an entertainment center, phone, near-pro camera, jukebox, and internet/email computer, among other things. It takes the place of more and more devices scattered about the home and office which take space and energy.
An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator. These are not three separate devices.

I believe this already happened.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:50 PM   #15
TimeSquareDesi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
Wish I was privy to these 'rumours' prior to them breaking, could make a killing on the stock market.

Do these guys ever get investigated for stock manipulation or insider trading??
Probably not because their efforts keep this economic engine oiled. Just how so many "online media companies" (most tech companies nowadays, for that matter) are essentially spying on users but nothing is being done about it.

But I agree with you... Just having a single tip could make you millions....
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:52 PM   #16
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
That's just marketing for you
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:55 PM   #17
ColdShadow
macrumors 6502

They really need to improve iPhone cameras.
ColdShadow is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:57 PM   #18
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleWarMachine View Post
there is always room for improvement on iPhone cameras
i guess, but they represent one of the best in the market, and have for years -- every year the new-iphone's camera is very good, and the rest catch up. the iphone was the first phone widely written about as a replacement for point-and-shoots.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:58 PM   #19
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

iPhone 6 is becoming more and more into the phone to get
so glad i skipped the 5S
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:02 PM   #20
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post

"when"? it already does and is those things. tho near-pro camera is the most difficult as there isnt enough space on a thin phone to have the lens depth needed for pro-grade glass.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z8beema View Post
Why are the colors so drastically different between the two pictures?
different cameras, different sensors, different software.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
iPhone 6 is becoming more and more into the phone to get
so glad i skipped the 5S
that is fallacy thinking. you can say the same about the next iterations after the 6....it all depends entirely on where youre at, what you need, and what represents value for you. me, i get immense value out of my 5s, today, and wouldnt want to be running on something older for a year because it would mean losing that value for a year.
mdelvecchio is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:04 PM   #21
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

A lot of Apple news today!
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:06 PM   #22
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502

Maybe someone in the know could chime in, but what does optical image stab offer that software image stab doesn't already?
Infinitewisdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:12 PM   #23
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Do it guys, make an astounding camera even better.

Pumped for the 6!!!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:14 PM   #24
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenJeen View Post
Ehh... the quality between snaps from my 4S and 5S aren't dramatic... especially not like going from the 3G to the 4.
Exactly. Neither does deliver the 5s significantly better image quality than the 5, either.

Of course the

- significantly higher burst framerate,
- the somewhat wider lens (but still not as wide as that of all the other flagships, particularly not in HD / Full HD video mode - in video, it still uses around 36mm equiv FoV, while top cameraphones like the Nokia 808 or 1020 have the, for social videos, much-much better 26-27mm)
- the dynamic exposure changing during pano
- the somewhat brighter lens
- the better flash

are GREAT in the 5s.
Menneisyys2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:14 PM   #25
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitewisdom View Post
Maybe someone in the know could chime in, but what does optical image stab offer that software image stab doesn't already?
optical has better quality.

software, you are manipulating the image to stabilize it, after the fact. Whether that's averaging across pictures, or cropping the picture and stablizing a crop of the photo.

optical, the lens is physically tracking at the time.

arn
arn is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion