Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:05 PM   #26
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgowers View Post
Apple sell two sizes of everything but iPhones, it's not a matter of if they will it's just when. I suspect it'll come finally this year.
not quite everything.... only one (display) size for iPod Touch and nano.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:05 PM   #27
iSteve-O
macrumors regular

It's about time. The bigger screen makes it much easier to use.
iSteve-O is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:05 PM   #28
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Lure Android Users
Sounds like a good reason to not do it, then.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:05 PM   #29
badams002
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
if the battery life is still crap i'm going to the dark side. Sorry apple, love your stuff but I don't want to be tied to an outlet or have a huge battery case..
Just curious. Do you keep apps open in the background? I have started double clicking the Home button about once a day to close all the open apps, and there was a world of improvement in terms of battery life.
badams002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:05 PM   #30
sflomenb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I prefer the size of the 4 and 4s. Slim, small, I don't even realize its in my pocket. Thats the perfect phone for me.

I don't want to carry around a wide screen TV in my pants all day.
I used to feel that way, but with the 5/5s, the screen is bigger, while making the phone thinner, and the device is hardly taller.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:06 PM   #31
Sean4123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
if the battery life is still crap i'm going to the dark side. Sorry apple, love your stuff but I don't want to be tied to an outlet or have a huge battery case..
My battery life is phenomenal and my iphone 5 is about 1.5 years old. Invest in a car charger and charge your phone for about ten min at lunch. You'll be surprised how much that helps.
Sean4123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:06 PM   #32
NoNothing
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to NoNothing
Anything larger than 4.3" will make me NOT upgrade.

Last edited by NoNothing; Mar 17, 2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Typos
NoNothing is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:06 PM   #33
calisurfboy
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to calisurfboy
They might as well throw in all those different sizes the next time around. They already waste shelf space with the iPhone 5C and all its colors.
calisurfboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:07 PM   #34
yourtoys7
macrumors 6502

I'll upgrade for sure from 5S, no need for ipad mini
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:07 PM   #35
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflomenb View Post
I hope this isn't true.
Why?
there is absolutely tangible evidence that the market place loves larger screen phones.

If Apple were to add a 2nd phone to the lineup that is 4.7", as well as keep the 4" lineup for those who like the smaller, what harm does that do to you...

what it does, is give a viable larger screen option to those (like myself) who would love an iPhone, but cannot stand the 4" form factor.

this is a good thing for everyone.

However, I do agree, killing the 4" would be bad for Apple
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:08 PM   #36
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
My phone lasts all day on a single charge. And a larger screen means a larger battery, so you have nothing to worry about.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:08 PM   #37
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

And as usual, Apple will severely underestimate demand and it will be 6 months before you can walk into the store and buy one without waiting in line or checking inventory every day.

Of course it's going to sell in huge numbers, the small screen is it's biggest drawback for most users, IMO.
AppleScruff1 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:08 PM   #38
Derekeys
macrumors member

Bigger screen would be fantastic. Got to play around with a Galaxy S4 all week and the OS nearly drove me insane, but when I went back to my 5s wow did I miss the real estate.

4.7" - 5" would be my perfect iPhone. Now just fix the problem with emailing and texting groups of people.

Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:08 PM   #39
DotCom2
macrumors 65832

If they keep the current size AND add a larger iPhone, then everyone will be happy!
I'm sure is smart enough and will do just that!
DotCom2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:08 PM   #40
sofila
macrumors regular

If it's going to happen, I have a long list of names

- 3.5" is perfect, don't want it larger
- 4.0" is perfect, 'll never buy a larger screen
- look at those jerks with giant screens near their heads, they look so stupid.

I'm just sitting on the fence waiting
sofila is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:09 PM   #41
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVic View Post
Why?
there is absolutely tangible evidence that the market place loves larger screen phones.

If Apple were to add a 2nd phone to the lineup that is 4.7", as well as keep the 4" lineup for those who like the smaller, what harm does that do to you...

what it does, is give a viable larger screen option to those (like myself) who would love an iPhone, but cannot stand the 4" form factor.

but apple is very much a one solution fits all so while i also hope they wouldnt kill off i for one wouldnt be surprised
numlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:09 PM   #42
GQB
macrumors 65816

Honest to god people...
Do all of you who are screaming that they'll bail if they release a bigger phone actually believe that they'd stop making the current, most popular size format in the world?
Really?
I've heard less whining from 4 year olds.
GQB is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:10 PM   #43
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

Cool! I'm down for a larger screened iPhone!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:10 PM   #44
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badams002 View Post
Just curious. Do you keep apps open in the background? I have started double clicking the Home button about once a day to close all the open apps, and there was a world of improvement in terms of battery life.
Nope. I always close my apps regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean4123 View Post
My battery life is phenomenal and my iphone 5 is about 1.5 years old. Invest in a car charger and charge your phone for about ten min at lunch. You'll be surprised how much that helps.
I do. If I'm home/office and i'm not using the phone it's plugged in. For a night out, towards the end I feel like I need to limit my phone usage because I don't want it to die.
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:10 PM   #45
sflomenb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVic View Post
Why?

Why does it need to be any bigger? What is the point of the iPad? iPhone is a smaller screen to fit in your pocket, iPad is bigger for different things. Why do I want something in the middle?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:10 PM   #46
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
if bigger means more upgrades then my gf would have left me years ago for a bigger man
I thought the same, and then I realised she was using the Android ecosystem behind my back. I caught her in bed texting with a Note 3. "It's not what it looks like!" she gasped, holding her hands over the stylus to cover the shame of it.

We argued, and inevitably it became my fault.

"Well, maybe if you let me customise things now and then", she grumbled, sliding in an SD card to demonstrate this. "Being with iOS, being with you ... It's just the same thing over and over again. I'm bored. I'm smothered!"

"Fine!" I roared, holding my home button in defiance. "Siri -- delete contact: 'girlfriend'."

"I'm sorry", Siri replied: "I don't understand "repeat combat girlfriend".

keysofanxiety is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:10 PM   #47
4ubrey
macrumors newbie

Why do they just scale the icons up in the mockups instead of making a new row / showing how the screen real estate would actually perform.

Isn't that the point of the visual in the first place?
4ubrey is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:11 PM   #48
Decimotox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
In the meantime, Apple just gives up on its existing users who actually appreciate the iPhone's smaller size?

Are there no rumors to indicate that Apple will keep a model with the existing 4" screen?
That's where the 5c comes in
Decimotox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:11 PM   #49
ggbrown
macrumors member

Size isn't everything

While iPhone users will enjoy a larger screen size, it's not the only reason to use Android. Being able to change the keyboard, for example to something more flexible, is huge. After all, it's probably the #1 "app" used on any smartphone.

I think Apple going above a 4.7" screen is unlikely. They are fairly conservative about major changes, and have even eliminated the 17" MBP from their lineup.
ggbrown is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:13 PM   #50
Cmdrx3
macrumors member

A 4.7" screen is big enough for me. I don't think they will drop any of the sizes though until they see what's selling and whats not. So I think we will have an iPhone 6 with 4, 4.7 and 5.5 screens... question is will they use the larger screens as an excuse to slap on a larger cost rather than reduce the cost of the 4" model to where the iPhone 5C model sits and land the 4.7" model where the 5S currently sits with the 5.5" model at a higher cost. The 5C is by all accounts not a great seller so will this model be a sacrificial lamb in the screen size stakes or will they reduce the cost on it further to sit in the mid range where it would more likely sell better.

........ or none of the above!!! :-)
Cmdrx3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion