Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:13 PM   #51
GQB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Of course it's going to sell in huge numbers, the small screen is it's biggest drawback for most users, IMO.
it's biggest drawback for many users...

You're welcome.
GQB is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:14 PM   #52
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
In the meantime, Apple just gives up on its existing users who actually appreciate the iPhone's smaller size?

Are there no rumors to indicate that Apple will keep a model with the existing 4" screen?
None that I have read. I very much doubt that the 4" will continue to be used except in the lowest cost iPhones.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:14 PM   #53
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

I hope these people realize that they may gain some - and lose some. If they increase the size of the iPhone (i.e. making it even BIGGER than it already is!) I will move some place else.

And given that iCloud email doesn't work for me anyway and I was forced to set up an Exchange server to gain reliability I am totally flexible now.

Not that Android/Google sounds appealing but there must be some device that works and isn't the size of a slice of pizza. Or I may have to go and put away one or two iPhone 5. Gee, how I still miss my Blackberry.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:16 PM   #54
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I agree....Apple, I hate to tell you this, but if the next iPhone is that big?

I'm out.
Bye! In any case, I think it's safe to say that the bigger sizes will have smaller bezels than all the same old dopey renderings do.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:16 PM   #55
Cole Carrera
macrumors newbie

Are we chasing marketshare?

I thought 4" was the perfect size.

(I thought 3.5" was the perfect size)

I suspect the 4" will be kept, and not just in the old one.

I doubt there will be two new big versions. That sounds to me too complicated.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:18 PM   #56
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Sure will.

Also will grab the 'I need a bigger screen' crowd from android/Samsung users.

I for one am looking forward to having the different size as an option, but still will wait to see the new bigger iPhone.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:18 PM   #57
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

I never cared about a bigger iPhone until I went from the 5 to a Nexus 4. I'm back with the 5 for now, but can't wait to have a 4.7" or 5" iPhone.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:18 PM   #58
See Flat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyil View Post
This is an interesting move from Apple. I personally don't like phone screens bigger than 5" but this might bring in some more users.
This is not a move by Apple. It's a rumour.
See Flat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:19 PM   #59
junkster
macrumors regular

Do not want. I can operate the 5s comfortably with one hand. I can fit it in my pocket. It's pleasant to hold when making calls. Size is not any kind of issue for me.
junkster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:20 PM   #60
iHEARTcartoons
macrumors regular

I for one welcome the larger size! Sure it's not for everyone, but that is why there will be two sizes.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:20 PM   #61
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

I'm still on an iPhone 4, so I'd want to see which size I like better. This year is my upgrade year regardless.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:21 PM   #62
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
if the battery life is still crap i'm going to the dark side. Sorry apple, love your stuff but I don't want to be tied to an outlet or have a huge battery case..
You won't have any better luck with Android devices.....

Unless you pick up a Note 3, the battery life is pretty much on par or worse than the iPhone's.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:22 PM   #63
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock View Post
but apple is very much a one solution fits all so while i also hope they wouldnt kill off i for one wouldnt be surprised
If that were true then there would be only one size of the MBA, MBP, iMac, and iPad and iPod.
smulji is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:23 PM   #64
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflomenb View Post
Why does it need to be any bigger? What is the point of the iPad? iPhone is a smaller screen to fit in your pocket, iPad is bigger for different things. Why do I want something in the middle?
5" and under isn't anywhere close to the 7" tablet market. Put them side by side and there is a marked difference in size. 5" is still fully pocketable. The overall dimensions between 4 and 5" when done with minimal bordering and bezels is really not noticeable

case in point: I have a 5" Nexus5 and my boss and I often like to play "compare the phones" to his iPhone. the overall dimensions don't suddenly make the phone some giant monstrosity. A lot of this comes from more efficient use of space. By today's standards, it is something that the iPhone is behind on.

5" devices are as pocket-able as 4". UNless you're someone who is constantly wearing skinny jeans... even a 5'5" phablet is pocket-able. Though, if you start getting into the 5'5" and bigger market, I do agree that you start to get into a hybrid region. When I carried a NoteII around, I got rid of my 7" tablet because it was redundant. at 5" that isn't such the case.

but, you might not want that extra 1" of available screen real estate. Thats fine. And I hope, Really hope that Apple does not kill their 4" line. it is a very suitable line for people who do not want or need that space and is a very good product, but it is painfully apparent to the rest of the world that larger phone devices are extremely popular and demanded. Apple is doing themselves a disservice at ignoring an entire market segment out of some pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock View Post
but apple is very much a one solution fits all so while i also hope they wouldnt kill off i for one wouldnt be surprised
this was def. the case under Jobs... but the newer Apple seems to be a little 'softer' in regards to market demands. This is a good thing IMHO. I hope apple does not kill the 4" phone. I dont want one, but its apparent that it is an extremely popular form factor.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:23 PM   #65
currentinterest
macrumors 6502

I believe the display area may be 4.7 inches, but the actual dimensions of the device will be quite similar to the 5S. This will please those who like the current physical size and those wanting a larger display. I still think the larger model, if there is one, may not be called an iPhone, but an iPad nano with "full" cellular. The nano will have the aspect ratio of an iPad not the iPhone.
currentinterest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:23 PM   #66
RebornProphet
macrumors 6502

As a long time iPhone user I certainly don't have "big screen envy".
RebornProphet is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:23 PM   #67
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

People who are crying about this before the device is even announced should just chill.....

They can get a bigger screen in the current form factor. The odds are, the overall size of the device likely won't change dramatically for the 4.7" version (if that turns out to be true).

Rumors are exactly that....take them with a grain of salt.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:24 PM   #68
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502a

Personally doubt there will be an impressively larger proportion of upgraders than any model before based on screen size alone. I've held the 5" Galaxy S4 in my hand and it simply is not comfortable. Maybe a 4.7" screen will still be (that fraction of an inch can make a difference).
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:24 PM   #69
street.cory
macrumors 6502

I won't lie. I am going to get the next iPhone regardless of what its features are. I have way too much invested in the iOS ecosystem.

street.cory is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:26 PM   #70
Nikiaf
macrumors member

There are so many people in here saying that they won't upgrade if the screen gets bigger, and it makes me so angry; because these are all the people who have never used any phone other than an iPhone 4 and have no credibility in their opinions that a 5" screen is excessive.

People, GET OVER IT! The next iPhone is going to have a bigger screen; and if you don't like it, keep using your iPhone 4 for the next 15 years and leave the rest of us alone.
Nikiaf is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:26 PM   #71
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornProphet View Post
As a long time iPhone user I certainly don't have "big screen envy".
I admit to having some, but only some. I love my iPhone 5S . I suspect that we'd all love a bigger screen, but no one has figured out how to give us that without making the phone uncomfortable to hold in one hand. Maybe the battery life will be longer in a larger model, at least.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:26 PM   #72
BruceEBonus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to BruceEBonus
The bigger the better. I said exactly thus a year ago when Apple made the mistake of releasing the interim 5C and 5S. This is what the people want. Not the atypical lot on here.

The market share will rise massively. And as stated, once the Android and Windows lot clock the iPhone 6 ... What Apple should've released last time round ..then expect full market domination.

And then listen to the naysayers on here now sprouting what a cracking idea Apple had when they made the screen bigger on the 6.

Don't whinge. Rejoice. This is possibly the beginning of the post Jobs renaissance. Years of laurel resting on past successes and obsessional iPad and IOS fiddling stops here

2014 has to be the year Apple woke up and gave their customers what they want and not what they thought they didn't quite want yet (piddly wee screens)

Hurrah for Tim. No more design Cook-ups. This is where success story continues!
BruceEBonus is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:27 PM   #73
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Bigger is bulkier!

I think I'd love the 6" iPhone in the winter and in the fall. When I have jacket pockets to put it in...

I think I'd absolutely hate it in the spring/summer when I've got shorts or even jeans, trying to fit this in my pockets. Even the times that it fits, I think it'll be an issue if doing activities.

I've noticed the differences in different pockets going from the 4s to the 5s.

Of course it will make some converts to people who complain they can't get the bigger screen with Apple. Don't need an article to explain that to me

Gary
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:27 PM   #74
StrongArmmed
macrumors member

The 4.7" iPhone will find such a quick home in my hands...

Not gonna lie: I'll stand in line to be one of the first with a 4.7" 64GB iPhone.
StrongArmmed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:29 PM   #75
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

Bigger screen devices is the only thing Android has going for it. If Apple does launch a larger screen for those consumers who want it, well, I think it spells the end for Android as a serious contender in the mobile space.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion