Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft will launch its Office suite on the iPad at a media event on March 27 according to a report from The Verge. The suite -- including Word, Excel and PowerPoint -- has been in the works for years, with recent reports saying the lack of Office on the iPad was costing Microsoft as much as $2.5 billion per year.

The company released a version of Office on the iPhone last year, part of its Office 365 subscription service, and The Verge says the iPad version will also require a 365 subscription.

office_logo.jpg
Microsoft has been working on the software for a number of months now, having first introduced an iOS version of Office for the iPhone in June last year. We understand the iPad variant of Office will be similar to the iPhone version, and will require an Office 365 subscription for editing. We're told that document creation and editing is fully supported for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps. Overall, the interface and features are expected to be similar to the existing iPhone version.
The site says new Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella will expand on his "mobile first, cloud first" strategy, something demonstrated by the free launch of the Mac version of OneNote earlier today.

Microsoft is also said to have an update for Office for Mac coming in the Spring of 2014.

Update 4:44PM PDT: Twitter user @rgonzalezagui posted what he says is a screenshot of Office for iPad leaked by a Microsoft employee:
@MacRumors leaked by an actual Microsoft employee... pic.twitter.com/llXJLtHwF3 - Ricardo González (@rgonzalezagui) March 17, 2014

Article Link: Microsoft Office for iPad to Launch on March 27

laomao

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Microsoft will launch its Office suite on the iPad at a media event on March 27 according to a report from The Verge. The suite -- including Word, Excel and PowerPoint -- has been in the works for years, with recent reports saying the lack of Office on the iPad was costing Microsoft as much as $2.5 billion per year.

The company released a version of Office on the iPhone last year, part of its Office 365 subscription service, and The Verge says the iPad version will also require a 365 subscription.

The site says new Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella will expand on his "mobile first, cloud first" strategy, something demonstrated by the free launch of the Mac version of OneNote earlier today.

Microsoft is also said to have an update for Office for Mac coming in the Spring of 2014.

Article Link: Microsoft Office for iPad to Launch on March 27

Wrong information on Office for Mac? No report has said MS will release office of mac Spring of 2014. Anyone to confirm?

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
would happily pay £50 for the suite. But a subscription for a word processor, yeh right.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
They needed this when the original iPad was introduced, instead they bashed the iPad.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
No need

I have no need for Office on the iPad. For that matter, I have no need for an iPad. I tried for the last 6 months to use an iPad Air as a replacement for my laptop (a MacBook Pro), and it just fails miserably. It's a great device for browsing content, but not for creating it.

Either way, the iPad's screen spontaneously cracked over the weekend - so I'm done with it. Going back to the laptop.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Yep. Nobody wants this now. Apple nailed it with their iWorks strategy.

Definitely the case with our company. A few years ago, we were basically begging Microsoft to bring Office to the iPad. Now iWork and other solutions are firmly entrenched and at this point it's... meh. iWork is free and cross platform now. And it's much better than Google Docs which Microsoft was originally worried about. Making it free and cross platform pretty much shuts Microsoft's window of opportunity very narrow now. They missed out big time in my opinion.

If only they had realized that sacrificing Office at the alter of Windows meant they would lose both.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.