Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dsteller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Hi, I got a 2013 MBA 128gb 8gb RAM i7, and after 9 months have found the space issue not very problematic... until today. I was looking at my system report and saw that 34gb of my space was taken up by 'other' and I went and looked through my finder, and I couldn't really understand what was taking up so much space. If anyone could help me find these 34gb and get rid of them, I would be very thankful!!! Thanks in advance!!

Dsteller

Dsteller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
This may help to:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.08.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.08.09 PM.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 66

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
This may help to:

Hi there. The "Other" section of that chart represents any files that aren't recognised as one of the other listed file types (audio, movie, photos, apps, backups). These files can range from caches, documents, calendar events, app plugins, file types not recognised by Spotlight, Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package...

To free up this space, delete documents...

You may wish to download CCleaner to clear system cache, Safari/Chrome cache... as it can free up 5-10Gb on it's own. Make sure to download from their site as the one in the App Store is not up to date.

Hope this helped :)

Dsteller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Hi there. The "Other" section of that chart represents any files that aren't recognised as one of the other listed file types (audio, movie, photos, apps, backups). These files can range from caches, documents, calendar events, app plugins, file types not recognised by Spotlight, Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package...

To free up this space, delete documents...

You may wish to download CCleaner to clear system cache, Safari/Chrome cache... as it can free up 5-10Gb on it's own. Make sure to download from their site as the one in the App Store is not up to date.

Hope this helped :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I ran it and it didn't clear up very much space :/

Dsteller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
ISSUE SOLVED!! After some reading around, I found that I should check backups, so I checked my iTunes backups, and found 7gb of backups!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.