Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Launches 'Android Wear' Project for Wearable Devices

As promised, Google today announced its "Android Wear" project, which is designed to bring Android to wearable devices. To begin with, Android Wear will be focused on watches that will come in a range of styles from several different manufacturers.

Quote:
Most of us are rarely without our smartphones in hand. These powerful supercomputers keep us connected to the world and the people we love. But we're only at the beginning; we've barely scratched the surface of what's possible with mobile technology. That's why we're so excited about wearables--they understand the context of the world around you, and you can interact with them simply and efficiently, with just a glance or a spoken word.
Android Wear for watches is designed to offer several functions over basic time telling. The app will provide notifications, messages, and updates from social networking apps and it will include Google Now capabilities allowing users to say "Ok Google" to ask questions, send texts, set alarms, and more. The "Ok, Google" function can also be used to control other devices, pulling up a music playlist on a phone or casting a movie to the TV.

Android Wear is also designed to be health-oriented, providing reminders for exercise goals and fitness summaries. Fitness apps designed to be compatible with Android Wear will be able to give real-time speed, distance, and time information.

Google's Android developer site has gained a new section focused on wearables. Developers can obtain a Developer Preview of the software, designed to allow them to tailor existing app notifications for watches that will be powered by Android Wear.

Google has plans to release additional developer resources and APIs in the near future and has announced partnerships with several different electronics manufacturers including Asus, HTC, LG, Motorola, and Samsung, which could see a range of wearable Android-based devices appearing later this year. LG, for example, will launch a watch next quarter with Android, and Motorola has its own Android Wear watch in the works.

The company is also partnering with chip makers Broadcom, Imagination, Intel, Mediatek, and Qualcomm, plus fashion brands including the Fossil Group to introduce watches powered by Android Wear in 2014.

Article Link: Google Launches 'Android Wear' Project for Wearable Devices
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:34 AM   #2
TimWillz
macrumors member

Oh ohh

Oh ohh, here they come Apple.
TimWillz is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

looks good.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:36 AM   #4
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
(I don't think it's true, but) it would be so funny if Apple aren't even thinking about bringing out an "iWatch" and they just put out false rumours to troll all the other tech companies and watch them scramble something round as quick as they can
MasterHowl is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:37 AM   #5
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

I soooo don't need one.....

Edit: for all of the people saying I'll want one if Apple makes it. The answer is still no. I have Zero desire to have information on my wrist. It's already obnoxious enough having a conversation with someone when their head is buried in their phone. Now they'll be staring down at their wrist. No thanks.

Only time I'd wear one would be during a workout.

Last edited by NachoGrande; Mar 19, 2014 at 06:07 AM.
NachoGrande is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:38 AM   #6
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

That looks really nice...especially compared to the current competition.
mattopotamus is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:38 AM   #7
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

The Google (pronounced goo-glay), in it's natural habitat... being dumb.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:39 AM   #8
WillFisher
macrumors 6502

I think Google have definitely gone in the right direction here. Could be some serious competition.
But will it work 100% with my iPhone? Probably not, so I'll still be waiting for the possibility of an iWatch till my contract runs out in 2015.

iToys: White iPhone 5, White iPad 3, ATV3, Time Capsule, Airport Express.
WillFisher is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

I love the idea that wearables are the future , but to think I'll stand next to someone who impulsively dances to or says reply be there in 2 is annoying
Ventilatedbrain is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Lapidus
macrumors regular

This is the first time I'm getting afraid that Apple might lose everything to Google someday. Should they really keep everything closed? Google is so much faster with opening up everything..
Lapidus is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:40 AM   #11
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapidus View Post
This is the first time I'm getting afraid that Apple might lose everything to Google someday. Should they really keep everything closed? Google is so much faster with opening up everything..
And Apple knows how to bait the hook...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:41 AM   #12
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Great, now how about you show us an actual product?

irmongoose
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:41 AM   #13
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHowl View Post
(I don't think it's true, but) it would be so funny if Apple aren't even thinking about bringing out an "iWatch" and they just put out false rumours to troll all the other tech companies and watch them scramble something round as quick as they can
Especially if Google or Samsung really start marking money off it

(just preparing you for the "regulars" that seem to be here entirely to take these posts apart )
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:41 AM   #14
rossjgoodman
macrumors newbie

Really?

Why did no one on that bus looked surprised that guy was shouting at his wrist?
rossjgoodman is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:41 AM   #15
Antoni Nygaard
macrumors 6502

I hope you can make the clock bigger than that, why does the weather temperature have to be bigger than the actual time? I mean it's still has to be a watch with extra functions. And some of them still looks bulky.
Antoni Nygaard is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:42 AM   #16
darbus69
macrumors regular

Considering the workplace has become exceedingly hostile for visible cell phones, I have come to the conclusion that an iWatch (I'd prefer they call it iTime) is a necessary wearable alternative to the "sneak-a-peek" at my phone trick.
darbus69 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:42 AM   #17
DrPosaune
macrumors newbie

This will only make the area more competitive. I look forward to what will be available in 3-5 years but, based on what is already available, I don't think this area is quite ready.

Full disclosure: I own a Pebble which I wear every day. It's ok.
DrPosaune is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:43 AM   #18
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Whatever happened to Google TV? I thought that was the next big thing? And where's Google Glass? This company can't seem to actually execute much of anything. Lot's of commercials, fluffy fawning tech articles and thinly veiled ads on tech sites though.

But what do you expect from an advertising and PR company. That's what they do best.

Google TV was the last time I'm investing in anything Google comes up with that wasn't already established. They just can't seem to do anything right other than search, ads, and cheap.
newagemac is online now   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:43 AM   #19
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

This makes the Gear look like a toy. It'll be interesting to see what Apple has been working on.

Last edited by dannyyankou; Mar 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
dannyyankou is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:43 AM   #20
sunapple
macrumors newbie

I'd rather have Apple WristPlay.
sunapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:44 AM   #21
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Honestly, this is pretty compelling. The round hardware design is much better than the Gear designs we've seen from Samsung which have just been huge and clunky. I do wonder what the battery life would be, as that would be key. But the usability looks very good.

Apple needs to make sure they get something out this year, and make sure its good. This category is getting ripe.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:44 AM   #22
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

Actually looks like a decent product if it really works as intended.

Hopefully it will work with iOS, android, and windows phone, but I wouldn't hold my breath on anything other than android.
Binarymix is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Gudi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
looks good.
Because it's all fake.

Even if you can cram a GPS stone in there, than there's no space left for a battery.
Gudi is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:45 AM   #24
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
Because it's all fake.
Going to be real soon with the Moto 360.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:46 AM   #25
brianvictor7
macrumors regular

Kinda strikes of "Look at me! Hey! Look at me! LOOK! AT! ME!"

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion