Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:58 AM   #51
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemcd View Post
As an investor, if these videos were Apple's big reveal, I'd be worried. Like Google glass this does not have mainstream potential. Practically no one is going to want to talk to their glasses or watch regularly.

I predict you won't interact much with the iWatch besides glancing at it and minimal gestures. It's primary purpose will be sensors attached to your body for the iPhone's HealthBook.
I agree that the whole "talking into a watch" is pretty silly. The other features are useful though, and hopefully it is not a product that depends on voice.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:59 AM   #52
poe diddley
macrumors regular

Oh good. Several manufacturers always seems like such a great idea.
poe diddley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:59 AM   #53
Gudi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewsom View Post
It's meant to work in conjunction with a phone, I believe.
Than why not use the phone instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imory View Post
Unless of course it uses the GPS from the phone and transmits it to the watch.
Because the smaller screen of the watch, makes using maps so much more useful.
Gudi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:00 PM   #54
spencers
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
Because it's all fake.

Even if you can cram a GPS stone in there, than there's no space left for a battery.
Exactly. This PR stunt is all vapor.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:00 PM   #55
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain cadet View Post
And this is because apple MAY be releasing an iwatch - though their is no proper evidence to say they are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Apple is rumored to put out an iWatch. All the "Me-Too's" release their best guesses first.

The "Me-Too's" flop.

Apple doesn't release an iWatch. Apple just grins and reinvents something else.

Your mistake is believing that this is ALL because of Apple's "rumor" and not because wearables such as Nike's fuelband, Pebble and others have been wildly successful. Only natural the cell phone industry is paying attention.
samcraig is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:00 PM   #56
portlandia
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Whatever happened to Google TV? I thought that was the next big thing? And where's Google Glass? This company can't seem to actually execute much of anything. Lot's of commercials, fluffy fawning tech articles and thinly veiled ads on tech sites though.

But what do you expect from an advertising and PR company. That's what they do best.

Google TV was the last time I'm investing in anything Google comes up with that wasn't already established. They just can't seem to do anything right other than search, ads, and cheap.
Google TV has a very successful child called "Chromecast." You should look it up. I have the latest Apple TV but undeniably, I use Chromecast more because of it's ease of use, faster response time, and HDMI CEC which changes my TV's input to Chromecast as soon as I play something on it using my phone.

Google Glass is still in it's beta phase with developers getting the action on it. I've used one and it is quite amazing. I really wish they would make it compatible with the iPhone but I doubt that will ever happen.

If you can't provide a logical argument, I suggest that you just keep your thoughts to yourself and not sound like a "fanboy" that denounces anything that goes against Apple.
portlandia is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:01 PM   #57
PlutoPrime
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapidus View Post
This is the first time I'm getting afraid that Apple might lose everything to Google someday. Should they really keep everything closed? Google is so much faster with opening up everything..
Google just video-launched a product that doesn't even exist. You don't even know if the round-watch device has a 20 minute battery life or a 2 hour battery life. For all we know, you don't even know if it was CGI magic with a round hunk of metal that created that video.

Google loves vapor/paper-launching. As always, there were no release dates, and no actual products launched that you can use today (forget the alpha SDK, anyone who has developed for Android knows what a nightmare it is to develop cross-platform code on there).

If I were you, I would go buy some more Apple shares today. There is still one company in the world who waits and waits, and only open its mouth and releases something when it's not vapor-ware. When you can actually go buy it in the next few weeks. When you can actually start using it. When you know.. it actually matters.

Google launched this so when Apple releases an actual working, purchasable product, they can anchor back to this video and say: "Look, we're not copying Apple! We're innovators! We were first! We're a giant university of idea-men! We've got tons of ideas! Ideas as we all know are worth 100000x more than execution!!! We are Google!!! The innovation capital of the google-verse. All bow to our vapor-novation"

Google is just an ad company that has a ton of money to run vapor-ware science experiments with.

(P.S. I also think you should buy some Google shares, they're going to keep rocking the advertisement/data world)
PlutoPrime is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:01 PM   #58
runsfromzombies
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHowl View Post
(I don't think it's true, but) it would be so funny if Apple aren't even thinking about bringing out an "iWatch" and they just put out false rumours to troll all the other tech companies and watch them scramble something round as quick as they can
That's exactly what I was thinking. You guys fool around trying to perfect a watch, and we'll release the next big thing that will take you a decade to catch up to. I would love for it to play out this way!
runsfromzombies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:01 PM   #59
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWillz View Post
Oh ohh, here they come Apple.
?

Apple has no wearables

Sounds like apple will do some good reverse engineering.

Win win for everyone
Radio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:02 PM   #60
iMaven
macrumors 6502

I'm not giving up a Rolex for that. I need something that's portable and not attached to me...you know...like an iPhone.
iMaven is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:02 PM   #61
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
I don't understand the concept of wearables. I just don't see the point. I certainly wouldn't buy one!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:02 PM   #62
knewsom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Than why not use the phone instead?
Because it's in your pocket, or backpack, etc. A watch is always on your wrist. More efficient use of time to glance at a watch for basic info and simple interaction. Save the phone itself for more complicated things. Furthermore, you wouldn't want to try and use a phone while on a bike, would you?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:02 PM   #63
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Funny how when "iWatch" rumors come out all we hear about is how no one wears watches anymore and who would want something that only gets a few days battery life. Now Google announces Android Wear and everyone is crapping their pants over it.

I still have a feeling whatever Apple is working on will be more fitness oriented than a smart watch with notifications.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:03 PM   #64
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

Wow, blows the competition away! it is so purrrrrty. Two issues: does it play well with iPhone? And most important thing to remember is that this is a software not hardware.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:03 PM   #65
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Completely unnecessary criticism here, but why are all these tech videos edited in the exact same way?

Seems like a set formula.

1) Look as non threatening as you can. Wash your face.
2) Stare off into this random space while we film you from an angle and randomly zoom into your face.
3) Speak like you've discovered the philosophers stone.

Then they line up some hipsters for a demo video.

It's a formula that probably works just fine, I just can't help but roll my eyes when I see them though
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:04 PM   #66
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPrime View Post
Google just video-launched a product that doesn't even exist. You don't even know if the round-watch device has a 20 minute battery life or a 2 hour battery life. For all we know, you don't even know if it was CGI magic with a round hunk of metal that created that video.

Google loves vapor/paper-launching. As always, there were no release dates, and no actual products launched that you can use today (forget the alpha SDK, anyone who has developed for Android knows what a nightmare it is to develop cross-platform code on there).

If I were you, I would go buy some more Apple shares today. There is still one company in the world who waits and waits, and only open its mouth and releases something when it's not vapor-ware. When you can actually go buy it in the next few weeks. When you can actually start using it. When you know.. it actually matters.

Google launched this so when Apple releases an actual working, purchasable product, they can anchor back to this video and say: "Look, we're not copying Apple! We're innovators! We were first! We're a giant university of idea-men! We've got tons of ideas! Ideas as we all know are worth 100000x more than execution!!! We are Google!!! The innovation capital of the google-verse. All bow to our vapor-novation"

Google is just an ad company that has a ton of money to run vapor-ware science experiments with.

(P.S. I also think you should buy some Google shares, they're going to keep rocking the advertisement/data world)
couldn't have said it better myself
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:05 PM   #67
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

The more I see this 'solution in search of a problem' junk from other companies the more I think the iWatch is not going to happen. Maybe some other new category, even something 'wearable', but not a watch.
ValSalva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:05 PM   #68
knewsom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
Completely unnecessary criticism here, but why are all these tech videos edited in the exact same way?

Seems like a set formula.

1) Look as non threatening as you can. Wash your face.
2) Stare off into this random space while we film you from an angle and randomly zoom into your face.
3) Speak like you've discovered the philosophers stone.

Then they line up some hipsters for a demo video.

It's a formula that probably works just fine, I just can't help but roll my eyes when I see them though
*applause*
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:06 PM   #69
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

It should be interesting to see if Google get significant penetration with this. I mean that Samsung just bailed on Android and went with their own OS in the latest flavor of their wrist attachments. I don't think they are coming back at this point.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:06 PM   #70
sean21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Because it's all fake.
I'll just leave this here then (A real motorola 360 smart-watch)
sean21 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:07 PM   #71
knewsom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
The more I see this 'solution in search of a problem' junk from other companies the more I think the iWatch is not going to happen. Maybe some other new category, even something 'wearable', but not a watch.
There are very real uses for wearables, especially waterproof ones - kayaking, for example. Keep your phone in your drybox, use your watch to tell your wife how much longer you'll be, or to drop pins on your favorite fishing spot. There are a lot of times I don't want to take my phone out of my pocket or backpack for various reasons, but it'd still be nice to be able to control it easily without having to fiddle with it or press any buttons. Working on the mill in the shop, for example. Or welding. ...or when I'm wrenching on my truck and my phone is inside it, but I'm underneath. The list goes on and on. If they can pull it off well, I can see it being useful.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:07 PM   #72
PBF
macrumors 68030

Why don't they look straight into the camera?
PBF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:07 PM   #73
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPrime View Post

1. Apple promoted it's Mac Pro line LONG before "a few weeks" when it would be available.

2. You and others keep insisting that someone is trying to be first. Wearables already exist. It's an evolution of the product, not revolution.

3. I'm pretty sure those with Google Fiber would argue otherwise. They also have some pretty cool research programs in place. But they're an easy target for those that want to ignore things like that.
samcraig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:10 PM   #74
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Moto 360 looks incredible

Sorry apple, you were too slow
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:11 PM   #75
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

Google is concerned....why release a video of vaporware with non-functioning devices...looked like simulations to me....when you start to show your hand....
DudeDad is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion