Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Can you give me some citation or source? I don't think it's true..

Insufficient connectivity, expensive data outside of USA and even a lack of 3G, let alone LTE.

See the link I posted and follow the links given there. The problem is immense.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
It's good to see that they're restoring the feature.

Many may naturally believe that it's the result of the user outcry, but the fact that SyncServices, which was apparently the underlying mechanism that earlier versions relied upon to provide the functionality, was deprecated starting with Lion, and removed entirely from Mavericks, also likely played a role.

Those running earlier versions of OS X have never lost the ability to locally sync contacts thru iTunes.

Whether the impetus comes from one, or both, the result is the same.

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Apple's Support Communities has a 212 page thread on the issue, and MacRumors has received multiple complaints about the removal of local sync since Mavericks was released. It appears that the next version of Mavericks and iTunes 11.1.6 will restore the feature, once again allowing users to sync locally.

I wonder if there are any comments in that 212 page thread about Flappy Bird. I miss those.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
I meant your example:
It's a violation of privacy law to give those details to a third-party

Can you give me some citation or source?

(i get that there are reasons, hell, even personal preference to do it locally is reaon enough for me, but the law thing i'd like to have confirmed/sourced)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Seriously who is still using iTunes to sync Contacts and Calendars in this day and age? :eek: iCloud does everything you need and is the most reliable cloud syncing service on earth.

iCloud is excellent at storing contacts and calendar information on my iPod Nano. Ahem... not really. Since it doesn't have any WiFi. Not that I use it for calendar information, but contacts have come useful in the past.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Someone FiNALLY understood that they just can't do they whatever they want?
Now just fix remaining bugs in Mavericks and everyone will be happy :)

LOL au contraire, they most certainly CAN do whatever they want, it's their software. You're only licensing to use it and furthermore it's free.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
YES! Finally.
I have a 3GS that still works fine, except that the wifi chip is broken. It will not see or connect to any wifi networks. So my wife uses it as a spare phone, it's on a basic plan with no data. So as I found out to my chagrin when I did a clean install on it the other day, now that I've installed mavericks, I have no way to get my contacts on there. She's stuck with the 3 or 4 she's manually typed in. This will be a big help for me in my (admittedly rare) situation!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There can be valid reasons for doing it locally. Imagine for example a one-person business that wants to sync their customers' phone numbers from their computer to their phone. It's a violation of privacy law to give those details to a third-party so it therefore must happen locally.

I'd hope that Apple has a privacy notice somewhere where they guarantee that nobody touches your contact and calendar data, and I'd hope you could rely on that. However, some people will have rules where the data isn't allowed to leave their country, or not allowed to leave the EU, for example, and that would rule out iCloud until Apple sets up servers in the EU.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Cool. Now I'd like it if they added back an iPhoto feature that they removed, the ability to share your Library locally on a network (like you can share your library in iTunes). Can't believe they removed such a useful feature in the first place.

And put the books back in Tunes too. If they do that I'll never complain again...well until they do something stupid again. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
YES! Finally.
I have a 3GS that still works fine, except that the wifi chip is broken. It will not see or connect to any wifi networks. So my wife uses it as a spare phone, it's on a basic plan with no data. So as I found out to my chagrin when I did a clean install on it the other day, now that I've installed mavericks, I have no way to get my contacts on there. She's stuck with the 3 or 4 she's manually typed in. This will be a big help for me in my (admittedly rare) situation!

Could you swap Sims, sync over 3G, swap Sims back?

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
There can be valid reasons for doing it locally. Imagine for example a one-person business that wants to sync their customers' phone numbers from their computer to their phone. It's a violation of privacy law to give those details to a third-party so it therefore must happen locally.

Lawyer here: I'm not aware if any privacy laws that would be violated by the mere act of syncing through a third-party server.

That said, many companies have policies that forbid syncing through services such as iCloud, and some of these policies are premised on privacy concerns. For that reason, the option to use local syncing solutions is nice to see.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I meant your example:

Can you give me some citation or source?

(i get that there are reasons, hell, even personal preference to do it locally is reaon enough for me, but the law thing i'd like to have confirmed/sourced)

That claim was just completely false. That would mean every contact management service in existence is illegal.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Cool. Now I'd like it if they added back an iPhoto feature that they removed, the ability to share your Library locally on a network (like you can share your library in iTunes). Can't believe they removed such a useful feature in the first place.

I dunno. People here act like they hate iTunes and want it to go away while others want it stay around but be less bloated, while others want more features to come back while others find those features useless.

Oy Vey. :cool:

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
LOL au contraire, they most certainly CAN do whatever they want, it's their software. You're only licensing to use it and furthermore it's free.

I mean that IF they want to keep customers, they can't do SOME things. And I'm sure that Apple WANTS to have customers ;)

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
I'd hope that Apple has a privacy notice somewhere where they guarantee that nobody touches your contact and calendar data, and I'd hope you could rely on that. However, some people will have rules where the data isn't allowed to leave their country, or not allowed to leave the EU, for example, and that would rule out iCloud until Apple sets up servers in the EU.

They were just caught with the back door opent that necessitaded updates to OS X and the release of iOS 7.06.

There are alternatives such as Companionlink and Sync-Mate but these are paid apps and online downloads. Most users on rural Asia, Australia, Oceania, Africa and South America have great difficulty as broadband isn't really there yet, only in cities but millions live on farms or villages.

http://blog.eltima.com/2014/03/syncmate-5-beta-with-os-x-mavericks-support-is-available.html

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
This is why

Not sure why anyone would go through the time and hassle of doing that anymore but I guess whatever floats your boat.

Because iCloud indiscriminately copies each address book group to every device. Suppose I have a group on my phone which I do not want to share with a child? Suppose I want my work numbers on my work phone and private ones on my private phone.

My personal contacts is something I want control over, not to have Apple control them.

Also, how sure can I be that once they are out there in the world that no one unauthorized gets that information!

Finally, the problem was exacerbated by Apple simply doing it and not telling anybody nor asking anyone their opinion.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland

Really? That sounds a bit made-up to me. That's every CRM company in the world like Salesforce's entire business model.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
For those of you who downplay local sync and comment on iCloud being the most reliable on earth. Make sure and revisit your comments when icloud is unavailable. Better yet, when iCloud loses you calendar or contacts and then syncs "no data" back to your idevice and all your valuable information is suddenly gone.

It has happened to me, twice. If its once bitten twice shy, then maybe I am twice bitten forever shy.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Lawyer here: I'm not aware if any privacy laws that would be violated by the mere act of syncing through a third-party server.

That said, many companies have policies that forbid syncing through services such as iCloud, and some of these policies are premised on privacy concerns. For that reason, the option to use local syncing solutions is nice to see.

If I were an urologist and a big celeb my patient, then I would not want to risk that kind of sensitive data on a server sitting ten thousand miles away from me. A 24" USB cable is a bit shorter and the logical choice unless you are American and have it in your own country where electronic communications is governed by your own laws.

A lawyer would also want to play it safe as even Apple had to plug a hole with iOS 7.06 recently.

Rather safe than sorry. Yes, iCloud sure IS nice when I have internet access.

Last edited:

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Really? That sounds a bit made-up to me. That's every CRM company in the world like Salesforce's entire business model.

He could have a point tho: servers in the U.S have quite different laws concerning access to it than, for example german or dutch servers.

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Home Sharing

In the meantime, can please Apple FIX URGENTLY the f***g Home Sharing with that next update? That stupid thing is not working and I can't use the Remote app on my iOS devices and I can't view my computer on my AppleTV, tried everything and all suggestion on any inimaginable forum. Apple own forum included. Tahnkyouverymach :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Build number for 10.9.3 is 13D19.

Not sure if the developer build will be this or a higher one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.