Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:19 PM   #26
Adamsappel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvP View Post
Can you give me some citation or source? I don't think it's true..
Insufficient connectivity, expensive data outside of USA and even a lack of 3G, let alone LTE.

See the link I posted and follow the links given there. The problem is immense.
Adamsappel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:20 PM   #27
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Never noticed this was missing (as others stated). iCloud is where it's at.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:20 PM   #28
TheIntruder
macrumors 6502

It's good to see that they're restoring the feature.

Many may naturally believe that it's the result of the user outcry, but the fact that SyncServices, which was apparently the underlying mechanism that earlier versions relied upon to provide the functionality, was deprecated starting with Lion, and removed entirely from Mavericks, also likely played a role.

Those running earlier versions of OS X have never lost the ability to locally sync contacts thru iTunes.

Whether the impetus comes from one, or both, the result is the same.
TheIntruder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:22 PM   #29
iPhD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple's Support Communities has a 212 page thread on the issue, and MacRumors has received multiple complaints about the removal of local sync since Mavericks was released. It appears that the next version of Mavericks and iTunes 11.1.6 will restore the feature, once again allowing users to sync locally.
I wonder if there are any comments in that 212 page thread about Flappy Bird. I miss those.
iPhD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:23 PM   #30
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

If they can un-suck the user interface and restore the snappy in their next release that would be cool.
firestarter is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:24 PM   #31
SvP
macrumors regular

I meant your example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsappel View Post
It's a violation of privacy law to give those details to a third-party
Can you give me some citation or source?

(i get that there are reasons, hell, even personal preference to do it locally is reaon enough for me, but the law thing i'd like to have confirmed/sourced)
SvP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:25 PM   #32
iPhD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
... restore the snappy ...
Superb.
iPhD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:26 PM   #33
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
Seriously who is still using iTunes to sync Contacts and Calendars in this day and age? iCloud does everything you need and is the most reliable cloud syncing service on earth.
iCloud is excellent at storing contacts and calendar information on my iPod Nano. Ahem... not really. Since it doesn't have any WiFi. Not that I use it for calendar information, but contacts have come useful in the past.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:29 PM   #34
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme1255 View Post
Someone FiNALLY understood that they just can't do they whatever they want?
Now just fix remaining bugs in Mavericks and everyone will be happy
LOL au contraire, they most certainly CAN do whatever they want, it's their software. You're only licensing to use it and furthermore it's free.
HenryDJP is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:30 PM   #35
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502a

YES! Finally.
I have a 3GS that still works fine, except that the wifi chip is broken. It will not see or connect to any wifi networks. So my wife uses it as a spare phone, it's on a basic plan with no data. So as I found out to my chagrin when I did a clean install on it the other day, now that I've installed mavericks, I have no way to get my contacts on there. She's stuck with the 3 or 4 she's manually typed in. This will be a big help for me in my (admittedly rare) situation!
Older: 2005 15" PB G4 iPhone 3G
fruitpunch.ben is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:30 PM   #36
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
There can be valid reasons for doing it locally. Imagine for example a one-person business that wants to sync their customers' phone numbers from their computer to their phone. It's a violation of privacy law to give those details to a third-party so it therefore must happen locally.
I'd hope that Apple has a privacy notice somewhere where they guarantee that nobody touches your contact and calendar data, and I'd hope you could rely on that. However, some people will have rules where the data isn't allowed to leave their country, or not allowed to leave the EU, for example, and that would rule out iCloud until Apple sets up servers in the EU.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:30 PM   #37
NMBob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarjoe View Post
Cool. Now I'd like it if they added back an iPhoto feature that they removed, the ability to share your Library locally on a network (like you can share your library in iTunes). Can't believe they removed such a useful feature in the first place.
And put the books back in Tunes too. If they do that I'll never complain again...well until they do something stupid again.
NMBob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:31 PM   #38
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben View Post
YES! Finally.
I have a 3GS that still works fine, except that the wifi chip is broken. It will not see or connect to any wifi networks. So my wife uses it as a spare phone, it's on a basic plan with no data. So as I found out to my chagrin when I did a clean install on it the other day, now that I've installed mavericks, I have no way to get my contacts on there. She's stuck with the 3 or 4 she's manually typed in. This will be a big help for me in my (admittedly rare) situation!
Could you swap Sims, sync over 3G, swap Sims back?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:32 PM   #39
bluespark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
There can be valid reasons for doing it locally. Imagine for example a one-person business that wants to sync their customers' phone numbers from their computer to their phone. It's a violation of privacy law to give those details to a third-party so it therefore must happen locally.
Lawyer here: I'm not aware if any privacy laws that would be violated by the mere act of syncing through a third-party server.

That said, many companies have policies that forbid syncing through services such as iCloud, and some of these policies are premised on privacy concerns. For that reason, the option to use local syncing solutions is nice to see.
bluespark is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:32 PM   #40
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvP View Post
I meant your example:

Can you give me some citation or source?

(i get that there are reasons, hell, even personal preference to do it locally is reaon enough for me, but the law thing i'd like to have confirmed/sourced)
That claim was just completely false. That would mean every contact management service in existence is illegal.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:36 PM   #41
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarjoe View Post
Cool. Now I'd like it if they added back an iPhoto feature that they removed, the ability to share your Library locally on a network (like you can share your library in iTunes). Can't believe they removed such a useful feature in the first place.
I dunno. People here act like they hate iTunes and want it to go away while others want it stay around but be less bloated, while others want more features to come back while others find those features useless.

Oy Vey.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:38 PM   #42
meme1255
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
LOL au contraire, they most certainly CAN do whatever they want, it's their software. You're only licensing to use it and furthermore it's free.
I mean that IF they want to keep customers, they can't do SOME things. And I'm sure that Apple WANTS to have customers
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:42 PM   #43
Adamsappel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
I'd hope that Apple has a privacy notice somewhere where they guarantee that nobody touches your contact and calendar data, and I'd hope you could rely on that. However, some people will have rules where the data isn't allowed to leave their country, or not allowed to leave the EU, for example, and that would rule out iCloud until Apple sets up servers in the EU.
They were just caught with the back door opent that necessitaded updates to OS X and the release of iOS 7.06.

There are alternatives such as Companionlink and Sync-Mate but these are paid apps and online downloads. Most users on rural Asia, Australia, Oceania, Africa and South America have great difficulty as broadband isn't really there yet, only in cities but millions live on farms or villages.

http://blog.eltima.com/2014/03/syncmate-5-beta-with-os-x-mavericks-support-is-available.html
Adamsappel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:42 PM   #44
GovtLawyer
macrumors 6502

This is why

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Not sure why anyone would go through the time and hassle of doing that anymore but I guess whatever floats your boat.
Because iCloud indiscriminately copies each address book group to every device. Suppose I have a group on my phone which I do not want to share with a child? Suppose I want my work numbers on my work phone and private ones on my private phone.

My personal contacts is something I want control over, not to have Apple control them.

Also, how sure can I be that once they are out there in the world that no one unauthorized gets that information!

Finally, the problem was exacerbated by Apple simply doing it and not telling anybody nor asking anyone their opinion.
GovtLawyer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:47 PM   #45
shotts56
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Really? That sounds a bit made-up to me. That's every CRM company in the world like Salesforce's entire business model.
shotts56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:47 PM   #46
Martyimac
macrumors 6502

For those of you who downplay local sync and comment on iCloud being the most reliable on earth. Make sure and revisit your comments when icloud is unavailable. Better yet, when iCloud loses you calendar or contacts and then syncs "no data" back to your idevice and all your valuable information is suddenly gone.

It has happened to me, twice. If its once bitten twice shy, then maybe I am twice bitten forever shy.
15" MBPr mid 2014
Martyimac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:48 PM   #47
Adamsappel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
Lawyer here: I'm not aware if any privacy laws that would be violated by the mere act of syncing through a third-party server.

That said, many companies have policies that forbid syncing through services such as iCloud, and some of these policies are premised on privacy concerns. For that reason, the option to use local syncing solutions is nice to see.
If I were an urologist and a big celeb my patient, then I would not want to risk that kind of sensitive data on a server sitting ten thousand miles away from me. A 24" USB cable is a bit shorter and the logical choice unless you are American and have it in your own country where electronic communications is governed by your own laws.

A lawyer would also want to play it safe as even Apple had to plug a hole with iOS 7.06 recently.

Rather safe than sorry. Yes, iCloud sure IS nice when I have internet access.

Last edited by Adamsappel; Mar 18, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Adamsappel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:49 PM   #48
SvP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotts56 View Post
Really? That sounds a bit made-up to me. That's every CRM company in the world like Salesforce's entire business model.
He could have a point tho: servers in the U.S have quite different laws concerning access to it than, for example german or dutch servers.
SvP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:52 PM   #49
apernett
macrumors member

Home Sharing

In the meantime, can please Apple FIX URGENTLY the f***g Home Sharing with that next update? That stupid thing is not working and I can't use the Remote app on my iOS devices and I can't view my computer on my AppleTV, tried everything and all suggestion on any inimaginable forum. Apple own forum included. Tahnkyouverymach
apernett is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:53 PM   #50
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a

Build number for 10.9.3 is 13D19.

Not sure if the developer build will be this or a higher one.
tywebb13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion