Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuckerFatal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the forums and I joined specifically to resolve this problem. Hopefully you guys can help :)

Okay, so I have a 13" Macbook Pro that I bought in 2013. I have it hooked up to a second display (a 19" Samsung Syncmaster) via the Minidisplay Port, with an adapter to the Syncmaster's VGA input. That's all fine and dandy.

Here's the thing, however: I have recently acquired an Elgato Game Capture HD and I am wondering if there is a way for me to record my Syncmaster with it, and input the recording back into the Mac. I feel that it may just be a matter of finding the right cables, but here are the problems:

1) I will need a DVI to HDMI cable, to go from my Syncmaster's DVI input to the Elgato's HDMI, however I'm not sure of how exactly to route the cables.

2) Perhaps most importantly, my Macbook only has one Minidisplay Port, which is already in use for the second monitor, so how will I connect my Mac's output to the Elgato to transmit the game audio and other information? The Elgato only takes HDMI for video inputs and outputs.

3) If there is some sort of possible configuration for this all to work, I need to know where to get the cheapest solution. If anyone could recommend any decent websites where I can find all the cables in one place, that would be great. Newegg is great, but if something happens to be cheaper, please let me know.

If it seems like I left anything out, let me know and I'll provide as much information as possible. Thanks to anyone who can sleuth this out for me, your help is greatly appreciated!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.