Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Once in a while I like having a keyboard case for my iPad. If I am using my iPad for business email, for example. Basically I do not like typing long messages on the screen.

After looking at many options for my iPad 3, I went with the ClamCase pro. Pretty heavy, but great typing feel and very good protection (I dropped it onto a concrete parking lot! iPad fine, case had some expected scratches).

So when offered for the iPad rMini, I preordered.

I have to admit, this is a pretty slick case. As you should know by now (based on other reviews), there is not a lot of aluminum in the case--just the keyboard surround. But I am impressed with the plastic shell material. A nice matte finish. White only.

Just a few comments before the photos:
Weight:
It does add weight (see below). Personally, this does not bother me, as I normally have the rMini on a table anyway. Also, coming from an iPad 3, the total weight is still pretty reasonable.

Typing:
To save space, they cut a row of keys. This is fine with me. While the keys are small, I can type with no problem. Feel is quite good. Not a Macbook, but not bad either. I like it, but it's a personal choice.

Hinge:
The hinge, of course, is one of their strong points. You can flip it all the way around like a book (not bad, either). You can also align it with the keys down, which is perfect for movies on a long flight.

Quality control:
OK, I like ClamCase, but they do have some problems. On the first order for my iPad 3, there was a magnet problem regarding the sleep function. On the replacement, there was one key just high enough so if you squeezed it, iTunes would kick in. (I fixed this myself).

On this one, there was also a problem. The extension key for the sleep button was too thick, and pushed on the button all the time. It is always possible, of course, that my mini's sleep button sticks out further than most[wow, should start a thread on this;)] Since I find returns a pain, and I like fiddling, I fixed this pretty easily. The button in question (photo below) is two parts. I just used a needle probe to pry off the inner part, sanded it down a little, and pushed it back in. Works perfect now.

Below are several photos to give perspective to the case. Again, I will not be using it all the time, but when I am traveling and expect to be typing a lot this is a slick option.

664FD237-0E91-466F-9332-16FE78C347F4_zpsgnrx9d1y.jpg

098141F0-1D95-42D1-8F9D-6226B1A77431_zpsgalqfvpv.jpg

9ED36825-9F6D-4DA6-8E02-27249CBAB295_zps8fvxbuqm.jpg

EFDD7E41-0EED-40C9-A9B8-0DC8E9A1CEE0_zpsmipmashl.jpg

"movie mode"
CE4BDD7F-4616-45AA-A24B-637C4B1561B0_zpsffxxv7uv.jpg

For perspective, here are some weights. Some are published, some I weighed at home.
Weights_zps063a3c0a.jpg

The button I needed to fix was the sleep button. This is the black button on the lower right hand side. A needle probe on the inside easily took apart the two-part button. I did nothing to the outside portion. I sanded the flat side of the inside portion to reduce the thickness. Working super now.

26DF745A-A748-461D-A03A-B01F2546C49D_zpsi0hyym7c.jpg

Last edited:

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
Looks great! Can't wait for the Air version. Guess I'll have to wait until march to get my hands on one.
I did have quality issue with my old Pro for my iPad2, but the custom service got me a new one even after three month. The overall experience with Clamcase is good though.

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
I had one for my ipad 3. While I didn't use it daily I loved it.

When you say they cut a row of keys, which keys? Did they completely remove them, or move somewhere else?

I'm still waiting on Zagg to release their case which is similar, before I decide.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
I had one for my ipad 3. While I didn't use it daily I loved it.

When you say they cut a row of keys, which keys? Did they completely remove them, or move somewhere else?

I'm still waiting on Zagg to release their case which is similar, before I decide.

Hi! They removed the row of special function keys that are above the row with the number keys on the version for the iPad 3. However, these functions are duplicated now on the number row, but you use the fn key (lower left on both keyboards) to access them. Works fine for me. By the way, this one weighs 1/2 that of the iPad 3 version!

3a340b1a8e84c06fc6cd87a829dbffd8_zpsffcfa1be.jpg

Last edited:

chriswitt

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Los Angeles
Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this. I've wanted one of these for a while and now I'm getting one.

The logitech version with the squished keys had 2 distinct disadvantages for me:

1. I couldn't touch-type the numbers.
2. The screen was so close that my fingers would accidentally touch it, moving my cursor.
3. I hate not having a dedicated Tab key.

Okay, three issues.

I never have the ipad without the keyboard so I don't see connecting it the the clamcase pro as an issue.

Anyway - thanks.

EDIT:
Actually - what happens when you flip it around for "book" view - does the keyboard disable itself, or do you turn it off manually?

Last edited:

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
When did you order yours? I ordered one on 1/22 and all it said at that time was "shipping in February." I have yet to receive it, and when I log in to my account on their site, my order still says "processing."

Just anxiously (and not very patiently) awaiting mine.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this. I've wanted one of these for a while and now I'm getting one.

EDIT:
Actually - what happens when you flip it around for "book" view - does the keyboard disable itself, or do you turn it off manually?

When did you order yours? I ordered one on 1/22 and all it said at that time was "shipping in February." I have yet to receive it, and when I log in to my account on their site, my order still says "processing."

Just anxiously (and not very patiently) awaiting mine.

Thanks guys. Hope you like it! Not a full size, of course, but even with my large hands you can get used to it really fast. Hopefully you will not have the sleep button problem I had, but now that I fixed that I really like it. Been traveling with it for a few days, and it is really nice when you need to type. It is easy to put on and take off too.

Regarding auto-disabling: I just checked it out, and the keyboard disconnects when you hit about 180 degrees. (on the way to 360 for the book type view)

I ordered 1.22.14. In early Feb I had a note that the order was processing, then at least a couple weeks later it just showed up.

Just one minor edit. The opening for the charger is very precise, so my aftermarket cables do not fit. So far just the Apple cable fits. But not problem, I have several Apple cables sitting around.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
how easily does the case come off?

thought it was funny that they use the wifi sign to say bluetooth connectivity on their page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 9.56.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 9.56.11 PM.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 187

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
how easily does the case come off?

thought it was funny that they use the wifi sign to say bluetooth connectivity on their page.

Good catch! Must be their marketing department . . .

The case is really easy to put on and take off. When open, you slide the iPad into at the bottom (they molded in arrows to remind you) and snap in at the top. To remove just snap out at the top. (top and bottom in this case are in landscape mode)

szandor420

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
We have some great news!

Your recently ordered ClamCase Pro for iPad mini will be shipping in March. Please note, your credit card will not be charged until the order is ready to ship. At that time, an email with the appropriate tracking information will be sent to you.

If you have any questions, please contact us and we'd be glad to assist you. We appreciate your patience and are excited to get the ClamCase Pro for iPad mini in your hands!

sonsabitches. last email i got from them in january said the same thing except that it will be shipping in february. fuark!

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Hmm, right after mine came in I contacted them about the sleep button problem I was having. Perhaps they took a time-out to fix it? (By the way, still liking mine. No problems once I fixed the sleep button)

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
prototype?

is that the finished product or the prototype case because it looks nothing like their website photos of this thing. it looks like really poor quality especially the keys. zagg's is a real treat to use. they all can improve, why don't they just make the top cover part completely transparent hardshell -- so that the beautiful silver or space grey backs of the iPads can show????????????? They should make a space grey keyboard version (duh!).

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
is that the finished product or the prototype case because it looks nothing like their website photos of this thing. it looks like really poor quality especially the keys. zagg's is a real treat to use. they all can improve, why don't they just make the top cover part completely transparent hardshell -- so that the beautiful silver or space grey backs of the iPads can show????????????? They should make a space grey keyboard version (duh!).

Probably because of OP's white iPad instead of black ones on their website.:cool:

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Probably because of OP's white iPad instead of black ones on their website.:cool:

Hi again! I would agree that both the text and the photos on the website can lead one to expect a lot more aluminum in the construction. However, I had seen other reviews and also had purchased the ClamCase Pro for my iPad 3, so knew what to expect. Zagg has a nice alternative, but I liked the hinge setup on the ClamCase better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.