Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Projected to Set New March Quarter Record with 42 Million iPhones Shipped

Apple appears poised to continue its string of setting new year-over-year records for quarterly iPhone sales, based on new data from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty. According to Huberty's "AlphaWise" smartphone tracker, Apple is on track to ship 42 million iPhones during the January-March quarter, topping the March quarter record of 37.4 million iPhones set last year.

Morgan Stanley's AlphaWise tracker follows Google Trends data, and the firm touts that it has been more accurate than analyst consensus in recent quarters. Analyst consensus and Morgan Stanley's own supply chain estimates have been pegging Apple's iPhone shipments for the quarter at 38 million units, but demand numbers appear likely to push that number up.

The strong demand appears in nearly all geographical regions, with U.S. carrier and retailer promotions in particular being cited for increasing customer interest.

One area that has not fared as well is China, which is seeing weaker momentum this quarter due to the earlier launch of the iPhone 5s/5c in that country. New iPhones have typically debuted in China several months after the first wave of launches, but Apple made strong efforts to ensure that China was included in that first wave for the latest iPhones. The January addition of China Mobile as an iPhone partner is offsetting that loss of March quarter momentum in China somewhat, but not enough to turn the overall trend for the country positive.

Article Link: Apple Projected to Set New March Quarter Record with 42 Million iPhones Shipped
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:47 AM   #2
mambodancer
macrumors 6502

They're Doooomed!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:47 AM   #3
cymerc
macrumors member

And the stock prices will still fall
cymerc is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Analysts: Well Apple can only go down from here...this is bad news.
Ryth is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Rogifan
macrumors G3

But I thought the market was saturated and no one is buying smartphones anymore?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymerc View Post
Because they didn't sell 60m. Stupid, isn't it.
Jsameds is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:55 AM   #7
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I keep on hearing about Android market share... here is one thing I do know. When you are running iOS, you are paying Apple directly. When you are running Android, that money is split between MANY companies. I'd rather keep 100% of the profits in a 10% market share than split 90% with 100 companies.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Gudi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Morgan Stanley's AlphaWise tracker follows Google Trends data, and the firm touts that it has been more accurate than analyst consensus in recent quarters. [...] The strong demand appears in nearly all geographical regions, with U.S. carrier and retailer promotions being cited for increasing customer interest.
What, the demand for searching the word "iPhone" on Google is up?
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:04 AM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymerc View Post
Not yet. This is the SETUP for the fall. The prediction is that it will be "another record quarter." This is intended to pump up the stock a bit. Then, when the quarterly results come out and Apple sells, say, 41.5 million iPhones instead of the "predicted" 42 million, the stock will take a dive because even though 41.5 mil would still be a record, not beating the estimate = DOOOOOOOMED.

Mark my words, this is *exactly* what will happen. Already, the hard data (as the article points out) suggest the number is closer to 38 million so far, not 42.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:06 AM   #10
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

Obviously the last gasp of a "haunted empire"
SeattleMoose is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:07 AM   #11
s2mikey
macrumors 65816

Oh good - maybe they can lower that chat-support charge down to $10 bucks per call now?
s2mikey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

At this rate Apple will just be able to buy itself back from the public. Then they will be doomed.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:08 AM   #13
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
I keep on hearing about Android market share... here is one thing I do know. When you are running iOS, you are paying Apple directly. When you are running Android, that money is split between MANY companies. I'd rather keep 100% of the profits in a 10% market share than split 90% with 100 companies.
If you owned the company, yes. If you are an Apple shareholder, yes. As Joe consumer, why?
AppleScruff1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:09 AM   #14
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Only last 4 quarter`s data make it a more accurate predicting tool? What about the previous 16 quarters?
2bikes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Gudi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
Actually all the money in the Android market goes to Samsung. Yes, the profits are split between 100 companies, but most of them get a negative share.
Gudi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:16 AM   #16
Radio
In Time-Out

Shipped. Not sold
Radio is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:18 AM   #17
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Not yet. This is the SETUP for the fall. The prediction is that it will be "another record quarter." This is intended to pump up the stock a bit. Then, when the quarterly results come out and Apple sells, say, 41.5 million iPhones instead of the "predicted" 42 million, the stock will take a dive because even though 41.5 mil would still be a record, not beating the estimate = DOOOOOOOMED.

Mark my words, this is *exactly* what will happen. Already, the hard data (as the article points out) suggest the number is closer to 38 million so far, not 42.
I believe this is exactly correct.

Also, Huberty is the worst analyst, and an excellent contrarian indicator. if she says we should buy run for the doors. If she says things are going to zero, probably time to buy. Please keep in mind, I don't think she's stupid; I think she knows exactly what she is doing and I don't know why it isn't illegal.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:18 AM   #18
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Model for model, Apple still sells the best-selling smartphones of all-time....doesn't seem as though anything can stop them right now. The Galaxy line is losing steam, while the Note line is picking it up - but the Note line is FAR away in terms of unit sales from any of the iPhone models.

Will be interesting to see what the estimates will be for Q4 when Apple releases their larger screen iPhone. 60 million?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:18 AM   #19
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
If you owned the company, yes. If you are an Apple shareholder, yes. As Joe consumer, why?
To encourage continued investment in my preferred ecosystem.
BaldiMac is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:19 AM   #20
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Shipped. Not sold
Don't bring that crap in here.....no reason to derail this thread on an argument that's been had in hundreds of others.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:20 AM   #21
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

Tim Cook will probably come under fire for the company not releasing anything new this year, after saying that new products will be coming throughout this year. The fact that there hasn't been an Apple media event will be an issue.

At lease that's my theory based on pretty much what "popped into my head" 😁

P.S I agree with the poster who pointed out it's only March and the year is still young I'm thinking WWDC is where it will all begin

Last edited by irfaanfaki; Mar 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Additions
irfaanfaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:21 AM   #22
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

I'm sure Apple sold a ton of the phones they shipped...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:21 AM   #23
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfaanfaki View Post
Tim Cook will probably come under fire for the company not releasing anything new this year, after saying that new products will be coming throughout this year. The fact that there hasn't been an Apple media event will be an issue.
It's March 19th? Last I checked there were still 287 days left in 2014....
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:25 AM   #24
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

I am in agreement with you! But that doesn't mean it won't happen unfortunately. Lol then again like I said in my edit it's just a theory 😄
irfaanfaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:25 AM   #25
Limboistik
macrumors regular

Wait, so because they were prepared for China, they are seeing weaker sales? What?
Limboistik is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion