Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blutrax

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Thor: Dark World 3D/Blu-ray combo + Digital HD from WalMart

Says right on the package "Digital HD" & can be redeemed for iTunes HD with iTunes extras ( also in HD)!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Disney doing us all a solid

Big News on the iTunes Digital Copy HD front.

Disney has a new program called DisneyMoviesAnywhere. Basically, any Disney DC movies that you have can be watched anywhere using an app. It'll stream right to your device. All you have to do is link your DisneyMovieRewards account to the new DisneyMoviesAnywhere account.

In addition, if you link your DisneyMoviesAnywhere account to your iTunes account, your Disney DC movies will be upgraded to HD, with iTunes Extras.

I did this and my Princess and the Frog digital copy got upgraded to HD. They also give you an HD copy of The Incredibles for signing up.

I'm gonna go out and get Wreck It Ralph 3D since the DC will now be HD.

ft

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I got the BD/DVD/Digital Copy bundle of Game of Thrones, Season 3 from Amazon. The listing said the digital copy was for Ultraviolet only, but I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the packaging and saw that the code could also be used for iTunes. Saved me a lot of ripping time. :D

blutrax

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Big News on the iTunes Digital Copy HD front.

Disney has a new program called DisneyMoviesAnywhere. Basically, any Disney DC movies that you have can be watched anywhere using an app. It'll stream right to your device. All you have to do is link your DisneyMovieRewards account to the new DisneyMoviesAnywhere account.

In addition, if you link your DisneyMoviesAnywhere account to your iTunes account, your Disney DC movies will be upgraded to HD, with iTunes Extras.

I did this and my Princess and the Frog digital copy got upgraded to HD. They also give you an HD copy of The Incredibles for signing up.

I'm gonna go out and get Wreck It Ralph 3D since the DC will now be HD.

ft

I've confirmed the same pleasantly surprising results with my library after linking my iTunes account to this Disney service. Many of my previously SD copies are now HD.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Not only did Disney Movies Anywhere upgrade my old digital copies to HD, I gained Robin Hood after linking, which I didn't have before. An iTunes digital copy of Robin Hood was previously not available (back in August) just Vudu and Amazon.

I suppose they knew I purchased Robin Hood because of my DMR (Disney Movie Rewards) account. I've also been enjoying streaming all the movie extras to my Apple TV from the Movies Anywhere app.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Problems with Thor 2 - DMA and Vudu

I was having a problem with Thor 2 and the iTunes DC. The problem has since worked itself out, but I figure I'd post my experience anyway so that others might be helped out.

I purchased the 3D/Blu/DC combo pack for Thor 2. I logged into MoreMarvel.com as directed by the Digital Copy Insert. Typed in the code and was whisked away to the Digital Copy Plus website.

From there, I was presented with two options.

1. DisneyMoviesAnywhere + iTunes

OR

2. iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, or GooglePlay

As I'm an iTunes guy, I chose the first option. It took me to DMA where I typed in the code again. I confirmed that Thor 2 showed up on my DMA list.

Then I headed over to iTunes (Mac) to see if it showed up, which it did. It showed up in my "Purchased" section of the iTunes store. It also showed up in my iTunes Library, as long as I have "show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" clicked on in the Preferences.

Next, I went back to DigtalCopyPlus to see if I could still redeem the code for Vudu. YES! The code worked for Vudu and I logged in and could see it in MyVudu.

So with one code, I had redeemed Thor 2 with 3 services. Awesome. Or so I thought.

For whatever reason, Thor 2 was not showing up in my iPhone. All of my other movies showed up, but not Thor 2. I could go to the iTunes Store on my iPhone and download it, but who's got that kind of space. I typically stream from iTunes in the Cloud when I'm on the iPhone.

I thought, perhaps, that DMA/iTunes doesn't give you streaming on iOS, but my appleTV could stream it. And that when redeemed it for Vudu, I lost my ability to redeem it for iTunes directly.

Well, eventually after a couple of days, it finally showed up on my iPhone for streaming. But it wasn't until after I redeemed Catching Fire. I think maybe the server or phone needed a "jolt" or something.

So in summary, it seems as though going through DMA, gives you full iTunes DC rights. That leaves the other redemption open for Vudu, Amazon, or GooglePlay.

Hope this helps others that may be having problems with Thor 2 not showing up on their ipHone.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
This is a follow up to the post above regarding DisneyMoviesAnywhere + iTunes.

Just got Frozen yesterday. Went to the redemption site listed on the insert in the box. Eventually, I got to the DigtialCopyPlus site that allows for the following options:

1. DMA + iTunes

2. iTunes, Vudu, Google, Amazon, or Target

As I did with Thor 2, I chose option 1 and was able to verify that Frozen showed up on DMA as well as iTunes on my Mac.

However, on my iPhone, Frozen is not available for streaming (via the Video app). The only way to watch Frozen on my iPhone is to download it from the store, or stream it from my Mac. I can't stream from iCloud as I can with my other Digital Copies.

I'm gonna wait a few more days to see if it "magically" shows up. In the meantime, I haven't redeemed the code for Option 2 yet.

ft

-----------------------------------------------------

I figured it out. I needed to log out of my AppleID on my iphone and then log back in.

To do this, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store and click on your AppleID, then you'll be able to log out.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I figured it out. I needed to log out of my AppleID on my iphone and then log back in.

Good to hear that you get it working; Frozen all looks good at my end too... except that the movie's in the wrong aspect ratio (as is the Blu-ray itself).

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Is this just for Amazon.com or does Amazon.co.uk also give digital iTunes copies with certain titles?

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Is this just for Amazon.com or does Amazon.co.uk also give digital iTunes copies with certain titles?

It depends on the movie, not where its purchased from. Typically with Amazon, if it's listed as having a Digital Copy, it's compatable with iTunes. If it's just UV copy, they're usually pretty good about listing just UV copy in the title. 99% of my Blu rays are from Amazon and the vast majority have iTunes digital copies. Sony Productions is one of the studios that are a hold out and only doing UV.

Amazon is also awesome with this. I purchased Monster's University through them, and after I opened it finding no digital copy, they took the return no questions asked and over-nighted me the special edition version that contained the iTunes digital copy for free.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
It depends on the movie, not where its purchased from.

Interesting, thanks. I thought it all depended on the market in question, with the iTunes copy being currently available at amazon.com but not yet for the UK market at the local co.uk store.

So once you order a film with an iTunes copy included it will be part of your iTunes library just like any other stuff purchased directly via iTunes?

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Interesting, thanks. I thought it all depended on the market in question, with the iTunes copy being currently available at amazon.com but not yet for the UK market at the local co.uk store.

So once you order a film with an iTunes copy included it will be part of your iTunes library just like any other stuff purchased directly via iTunes?

Correct, it'll appear in your iTunes just as if you purchased it from the iTunes store....it's basically like a gift card redemption.

One thing though, I went to Amazon UK, and the digital selection is much thinner than here in the US. I was only able to find some movies that had UV codes and no iTunes codes. I still think that this has more to do with the studios than with Amazon. It's like they are only releasing the movie in the UK and not the "Special Editions" or "Collectors Editions".

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Correct, it'll appear in your iTunes just as if you purchased it from the iTunes store....it's basically like a gift card redemption.

One thing though, I went to Amazon UK, and the digital selection is much thinner than here in the US. I was only able to find some movies that had UV codes and no iTunes codes. I still think that this has more to do with the studios than with Amazon. It's like they are only releasing the movie in the UK and not the "Special Editions" or "Collectors Editions".

Fewer movies in the UK are bundled with iTunes codes, they all seem to be POS UV codes.... It's definitely
a studio thing. For example, Disney UK used to be quite good with triple play editions, but they've become quite tight when it comes to extras, never mind digital copies....

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, cannot seem to find Amazon.co.uk titles that include the iTunes version.

I wonder if buying the title at Amazon.com and then using the iTunes code with a UK iTunes account would work...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I wonder if buying the title at Amazon.com and then using the iTunes code with a UK iTunes account would work...

Nope. At least, US and UK codes doesn't work with iTunes NZ so I doubt that they'll work.

You could create a US account, but you won't be able to use any of the "iTunes in the Cloud" features such as redownloading purchases because Apple restricts those features to one account per computer. It seems to use the computer's serial number because even reinstalling OS X doesn't unlink the account.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah, cannot seem to find Amazon.co.uk titles that include the iTunes version.

Just keep this in mind as well. US Blu rays are region A1, and UK is region B2. Even if the iTunes code did work, there is a good chance that the Blu ray would be unplayable on your equipment. If you did decide to try that, Amazon charges $3.99 for shipping to the UK, and I believe that it drops to $2.49 an item when you group ship.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Many thanks guys. So are there any titles whatsoever on Amazon.co.uk that come with iTunes codes or is nothing available?

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Many thanks guys. So are there any titles whatsoever on Amazon.co.uk that come with iTunes codes or is nothing available?

Haven't had anything for a while with an iTunes code; Star Trek Into Darkness is probably the last thing I bought that was bundled with one. Seems UV is taking over, which sucks....

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
I see that Skyfall comes with a digital copy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyfall-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital-Copy/dp/B006X040NY/

On other discs with UV included it states that the digital copy won't work with iTunes. But on the reverse of the Skyfall disc it is clearly written that this digital copy will work with iTunes, which I assume will be a code to download it directly from Apple?

P.S. On a side note, what a strange combo with the UK DVD being region 2 but NTSC. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have Skyfall UK; it definitely includes an iTunes code. It's strange for it to be NTSC, but it's not a problem; the DVD spec apparently requires NTSC support, plus the movie isn't sped up by 4% like a PAL release would be.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Can anyone enlighten on what's the benefit of having a DisneyMoviesanywhere account to watch Disney movies versus just watching them through your Itunes account ?? besides getting The Incredibles for Free which I dont really care for.

Also is there anywhere I can purchase digital codes for disney movies that are vaulted ? Can't find much on Ebay or Craigslist.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Can anyone enlighten on what's the benefit of having a DisneyMoviesanywhere account to watch Disney movies versus just watching them through your Itunes account ?? besides getting The Incredibles for Free which I dont really care for.

Also is there anywhere I can purchase digital codes for disney movies that are vaulted ? Can't find much on Ebay or Craigslist.

Linking the accounts upgraded all of my SD Disney movies to HD in iTunes. That's about it as far as I can see.

I'm sure some suits in a boardroom decided that they needed a digital portal for some misplaced reason.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Linking the accounts upgraded all of my SD Disney movies to HD in iTunes. That's about it as far as I can see.

I'm sure some suits in a boardroom decided that they needed a digital portal for some misplaced reason.

Yeah I saw a few people in here say this but I also heard a while back that peoples' SD copies in Itunes upgraded to HD automatically as well way before the DisneyAnywhere app. I thought this was a freebie Disney implemented long ago ?

That's why I still couldn't see the benefit of signing up and using this IOS app if you already had Itunes . Especially when the app limits what you can do with the content.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yeah I saw a few people in here say this but I also heard a while back that peoples' SD copies in Itunes upgraded to HD automatically as well way before the DisneyAnywhere app. I thought this was a freebie Disney implemented long ago ?

That's why I still couldn't see the benefit of signing up and using this IOS app if you already had Itunes . Especially when the app limits what you can do with the content.

I don't think Disney Digital Copies were upgrading from SD to HD prior to DisneyMoviesAnywhere. Other studios may have, but Disney wasn't.

As for other benefits of DMA, I think a big one is that prior to DMA, you had to choose which service you wanted to redeem your Disney movies with. For me, that's iTunes, but you could also choose Vudu, Amazon, Google and others. But you were limited to just one service.

With DMA, you get to choose iTunes/Vudu/Amazon/Google in addition to DMA. Here's the kicker, DMA includes iTunes, so you can redeem Disney movies with DMA, iTunes, and one of the other three (Vudu/Amazon/Google).

This is great for folks with multiple ecosystems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.