Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek88

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
Hello all.

I have a 4GB 1.8Ghz i5 13 inch Mid 2012 MacBook Air and I'm having a LOT of trouble with slow page loads, and flat out disconnection issues.

I've tried everything under the sun as I'm pretty Apple savvy (SMC, PRAM, Permissions, Cache, even an OS reinstall). I've changed DNS servers and locations twice to two different numbers. I've also changed the MTU and service order with no improvement.

The extremely temporary fix for this issue is to dump the network prefs in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. That will resolve the page loading problem for about an hour if I'm lucky. And it's still not where it is on par with my other devices, but better.

It's affecting any wifi network, and it's in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. And I've done a fresh reinstall of 10.9.2 today and no dice. It worked great for a few hours and then it's a problem.

Download speed for downloading is fine, but page loading and internet cutouts lasting a few minutes are a problem. I don't lose connection with the router (the router stays connected), just the internet service (any).

Any ideas?! I'd say this is been an issue for about a year now, getting worse over time... I don't have an ethernet adapter but I have tried one that belongs to a friend and it seems to be affected, so it's likely not an AirPort card issue.

Thanks for any and all help. I'm stumped. Is it a logic board issue?

Last edited:

M-Sparkle

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Is Maverick the Problem for Slow Page Loads?

I just upgraded to the awesome Mac Pro jet engine cylinder and got Maverick 10.9.2 with it. I have 22-28 Mbps download speed. However, both Safari and Firefox take forever to load a new page. I used NameBench to get the hottest DNS's but no help.

My MacBook Air (10.6.8) has no such problems running on the same network.

any ideas?

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Same results using OpenDNS servers? I find it interesting that after a new OS install your functionality was fine for a few hours and then reverted to the slow loading issue...

M-Sparkle

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Slow page loads

Thanks for the fast response!!

I was having slow page loads with my old 2006 Tower running 10.7 and I blamed it on having old junk.

Finally my new cylindrical Pro showed up with 10.9.2 preinstalled. Slow page loads so I then:

1. I used NameBench to pick hot DNS's. Same deal.
2. Called cable company and upgraded service from "up to 15 MBps" to a guaranteed 20 MBps. same deal.
3. Yesterday added a hot new router to feed all of the home cat-5 lines. Same deal. (Verified > 20 MBps almost all the time.) The previous owner was a real comm geek and every room has cat-5 plugs!
4. Between the cable modem and my router sits a sonicwall firewall.
5. I have not tried the OpenDNS's yet.
6. Another clue is that I lose my internet connection sometimes and have to go to Prefs to get "assistance" to have it going again.

Thanks!!!

macgeek88

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
Just an update to my thread.

Just installed Yosemite Public Beta on the same machine as I talked about.

Super fast internet page loading. No more issues.

Gotta be something in Mavericks. If I have issues with the public beta, I'll be going to Mountain Lion instead of Mavericks.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
I am having the same problem.
My MBPr is almost useless to browse the internet, both with Chrome and Safari. This is very painful.
I will try this upgrade asap, but I fear it will break other things... Very disappointed with Apple on this one; if they were able to fix the issue in Yosemite, why not roll back the fix on Mavericks ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.