Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:25 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 7.1 Causing Issues With Personal Hotspots

Introduced earlier this month, iOS 7.1 appears to be causing issues with personal hotspots for quite a few iPhone users around the world. Following the update, some users appear to be unable to save APN settings for personal hotspots, which have vanished following the update from iOS 7.0.6 to iOS 7.1.

While information can be entered into the APN fields of the Cellular Data Settings menu, the values do not save, and attempting to establish a tethered connection results in an error message. Apple's Support Communities currently features a 15-page thread on the issue that was started shortly after iOS 7.1 was released, with many users reporting the same problems with tethering.

Apple's support staff appears to be confused by the root cause of the issue, with several customer service representatives suggesting the problem lies with carriers. Carriers that have been contacted have indicated that it is an issue with Apple, however.
Quote:
Same here. Hotspot not working since I upgraded to 7.1. Such an annoying issue. I phoned my carrier this morning and they didn't want to get involved since "it's a device issue since settings can't be saved". No carrier updates either when I installed 7.1. So right now, no hotspot and no one wants to get involved.
Other users have heard that it is a problem limited to carriers that do not currently have a contract with Apple. The iPhone 4, 4s, 5, and 5s all appear to be affected by the issue, and there is currently no available fix. Users in Germany, India, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Thailand, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, and more have reported issues with hotspots.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Causing Issues With Personal Hotspots
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:27 PM   #2
sparky1499
macrumors regular

I can't say I'm affected by it at all and I tether my iPhone to my iPad mini daily.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:28 PM   #3
maflynn

I hope I'm not, I'll be using this Friday when I tether my laptop while waiting for my truck to get serviced
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:29 PM   #4
chicagohoops
macrumors newbie

My personal hotspot is blissfully fine with iOS 7.1 running on an iPhone 5 on T-Mo's network. Used it with my MacBook Pro for about three hours yesterday.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:30 PM   #5
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

My personal hotspot works fine but my wife's one has had issues for a while now.
JaySoul is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:30 PM   #6
revjoel
macrumors newbie

That's what she said.
revjoel is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:33 PM   #7
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjoel View Post
That's what she said.
I'm glad someone got it!

(I certainly haven't done for too long).
JaySoul is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
My personal hotspot works fine but my wife's one has had issues for a while now.
Insert puerile chortle here.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:35 PM   #9
chokmc
macrumors newbie

Brunei APN issue resolved

I had the same problem too after update via OTA. The problem is resolved after I plugged my phone onto my pc. iTunes did a carrier update for me and the settings seemed to be entered via iTunes automatically!
chokmc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:35 PM   #10
ineedamac
macrumors 6502

I only use the personal hotspot when I cannot find a free wifi connection. Seems like the only place I cannot find a free connection anymore is an airport.
ineedamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Gav2k
macrumors 601

No issues here on 3uk. That said three took the option to see the apn settings away a long time ago.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Avieshek
macrumors newbie

Well, 'm using an iPhone 5 as-well-as an iPhone 4s, don't see any issues like that. Completely fine. From India. Maybe, the US carriers are just too stubborn

I suppose it's for the 4G network.
Avieshek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:37 PM   #13
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokmc View Post
I had the same problem too after update via OTA. The problem is resolved after I plugged my phone onto my pc. iTunes did a carrier update for me and the settings seemed to be entered via iTunes automatically!
If that's true then going to settings> general > about would prompt a carrier update on the phone thus resolving the issue if it is indeed a missing carrier update glitch.
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:39 PM   #14
NMBob
macrumors 6502

"Users in Germany, India, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Thailand, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, and more have reported issues with hotspots."

That's because there are no Apple programmers in those locations, or if they are they are in a nice, air conditioned building with a Wi-Fi hotspot right above their desk and a cell tower right outside their window just like the ones in California. They don't actually test their stuff under anything less than ideal conditions, and if they do I can't tell. I see all kinds of networking 'features' with my MacBook and iPad Air in the real world that they've probably never even dreamed of. It's called developing software in a vacuum. It seems to be quite popular these days.

Having said that, if this IS a whack at phones that are being used on unauthorized networks then good on 'em. But The above still stands.
NMBob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

No issues for me and I use personal hotspot every day.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:44 PM   #16
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502

No issues here. Just used it a few hours ago. Works like a dream.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:50 PM   #17
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1499 View Post
I can't say I'm affected by it at all and I tether my iPhone to my iPad mini daily.
Same here... I have seen any issues with this so far.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:50 PM   #18
B4U
macrumors 6502

Glad that I did not become a lab rat.

But it sure is strange that the 7.1 was in beta for so long and yet no one find this issue?
B4U is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:54 PM   #19
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBob View Post
"Users in Germany, India, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Thailand, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, and more have reported issues with hotspots."

That's because there are no Apple programmers in those locations, or if they are they are in a nice, air conditioned building with a Wi-Fi hotspot right above their desk and a cell tower right outside their window just like the ones in California. They don't actually test their stuff under anything less than ideal conditions, and if they do I can't tell. I see all kinds of networking 'features' with my MacBook and iPad Air in the real world that they've probably never even dreamed of. It's called developing software in a vacuum. It seems to be quite popular these days.

Having said that, if this IS a whack at phones that are being used on unauthorized networks then good on 'em. But The above still stands.
yep, i bet these are all US phones originally
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:57 PM   #20
scheming
macrumors member

No problems on iPhone 5s iOS 7.1 32 GB Verizon Wireless. And I can't see any VZW iPhone 5/5s subscriber experiencing a problem due to the way Personal Hotspot is activated/enabled on VZW. Some carriers actually require the use of a different APN and that's different from the way VZW does it. I think people with problems either activated non-carrier-supported iPhones and are experiencing problems or restored their settings and data from a previously jailbroken iPhone.
scheming is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:58 PM   #21
Westside guy
macrumors 601

I'm jailbroken, so I'm still on 7.0.6 - no hotspot troubles here!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:59 PM   #22
mstur
macrumors member

No problems here in Austria...

At least with the 3 network and with the A1 network !
I am using now a hotspot to my ipHone 4 on the 3 net, works smoohtly, and just checked the same with my iPhone 5s on the A1 net !!

So: the major networks in Austria have no problems with iOS 7.1 and the WLAN hotspot mode !

Maybe it is just a new feature, not a bug ??

Last edited by mstur; Mar 21, 2014 at 04:22 AM. Reason: New info about APN settings
mstur is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:59 PM   #23
bryanescuela
macrumors regular

Lol

Typical Apple...
bryanescuela is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:59 PM   #24
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Haven't tried it yet, but will look into it. I don't tether all that often and look forward to moving back to an LTE enabled iPad retina mini....just more convenient.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 01:04 PM   #25
sbailey4
macrumors 6502a

No issue here either VZW more stuff plan and iPhone 4s. Of course we dont have to enter any APN settings as it all "Just works".
sbailey4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion