Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
This is great first page news!!! It really is related to Apple and it`s success!! :rolleyes:

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
With all the talented app developers out there, I can't believe Flappy Bird is what continues to make tech headlines, while Flappy Bird knock-offs continue to dominate the Top Charts tab in the store.

I'm happy for the guy and I'm glad he's become rich. Good for him. But his 15 minutes should have been over when he removed the app, and it should not continue to be "news" over a month later.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The one positive (for me, but possibly Earthwide, also) out of this is that my daughter loves this game. Didn't know about it until the hubbub began, downloaded before it went away. It regulates her dramatically, esp in the car.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I will admit that I have no idea of what you all are talking about. I have never heard of Flappy Bird before. I must live under a rock.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
If I were in his position, I would:

1: thank God for all that money, and try to be wise with it!
2: repeat #1 every morning I'm fortunate enough to be alive.
3: use some of it for good charities.
4: write code into flappy bird that checks local time on the device, shows flappy landing in a nest on the ground, and tells the player that "Flappy is really tired right now, and wants to take a nap (or go to sleep). Please join him for more fun in a few hours (or tomorrow). Then congratulate the player on their high score. If the player tries to play during nap/sleep intermission, then the game could say, "Flappy will want to play with you in X Hours and Y Minutes, but he's busy sleeping right now. Don't you have something else you can do while he's busy?"

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I really don't get why people in this thread are saying this is a marketing stunt. It's been pretty obvious to me that Nguyen doesn't care about the money. When he pulled the app he was making $50,000 a day. When he eventually puts it back, nobody is going to care because the hype is gone and all the clones that have subsequently popped up in its absence. The culture of addicting games in Asia is very bad, and he hated the publicity. There's no reason to doubt he pulled it for the reasons he stated.

If it's a marketing stunt, it's a poor one.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
So he didn't care for all the attention etc and removed the game. Now he is at GDC, obviously getting attention and "re-launching" the game. Yeah, ok Dong. The game is horrible anyhow..

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I am sick to death of people blaming something else for their addictions. When did they stop teaching will power?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Cheap, dirty marketing ploy.

Respect has gone down the drain.

You're using the fact that he changed his mind as proof of his bad character?

I don't think we have enough information to prove that at all.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Can people PLEASE stop talking about this guy? All it's doing is giving him more of the attention he so desperately wants (oh, I mean, DOESN'T want). :rolleyes:

If sites like macrumors would stop posting front-page headlines about him and Flappy Bird, maybe it will stop.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Slow news day

Time for the antimeme…

aKpqxDh.gif

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo is going to sue.

Nope. Nintendo was contacted about this and they don't care much.

Is Touch Arcade the reason they're posted on the front page? I know they're partnered with Touch Arcade, but does that warrant Flappy Bird on teh front page?
MacRumors put whatever they want on the front page.

Does putting all these kind of articles on the front page lower the overal quality of the website? Yes. But I don't think the staff here care. If they did, then we'd be seeing these kinds of articles moved to the 2nd page (ie the side of the front page)

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
I was going to respond to this, but frankly all the attention this story is getting stopped me from doing it....okay I will say something...

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Who the F cares?

I do.

It's been interesting to follow.

The most interesting part has been all of the people who think this guy had some master plan to do this. He's just a guy that wasn't ready for a viral program to explode in his life. He's had to make adjustments after being initially bothered by quick rise in his games popularity. He's had some time to get his head straight and now hes getting the game back into the store.

People want to believe some deeper sinister thought out marketing plan to be the story, but I don' think it is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.