Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cover Or Case?

• Total voters

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I always got a smart cover when i got a new iPad.

these new smart cases came out, i think its good for the mini since people travel with it a lot and pull it out when they're waiting or riding the bus or subway.

but for regular sized iPads, i really dont see the point, unless your with kids or just want to overly protect your iPad.

i use my iPad for work (Our company develops apps that compliment our main software) so i have to take it everywhere, and traveling comes at least 4 times a year, either out of country or out of state.

i never saw the need for me to have a case, it just makes it heavier and bulkier.

im not going out to bars or taking my iPad out when I'm commuting (unless its on a plane) id just go on my iPhone rather than my iPad, its just too cumbersome (if i had a mini it'll be different, and who the hell goes out on a night with their full sized iPad?)

Full sized iPads usually stay in the work place or at home.

so, are you a case man? or a cover man?

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i love the smart case on my iPad 4, i just purchased a retina mini and I'm not sure what i will cover that up with because I'm not keen on paying 70 dollars for a case yet.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Full sized iPads usually stay in the work place or at home.

I would disagree that full sized iPads "usually" stay in the work place or at home. I take mine with me quite a bit to various places.

I use the Smart Cover and a back cover, doesn't make it any less portable for me.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I got the Apple Smart Cover for my new retina Mini yesterday and I love it. The Mini feels perfect with no extra cover or case, the Smart Cover adds some protection without too much extra girth.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I got the Apple Smart Cover for my new retina Mini yesterday and I love it. The Mini feels perfect with no extra cover or case, the Smart Cover adds some protection without too much extra girth.

are you worried about the back and sides though?

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
Its funny. People get slim iPhones and iPads and then cover them with ugly otter cases making them 1 1/2 inches thick. So it brings them peace just knowing that they have a pretty and slim phone underneath the ugly otter case. Never really getting to realize the nice slim design because it is 100% of the time hidden beneath the monster case. I always fall in the middle. I get the slim one sided case for my iPhone and the slim one sided cover for the iPad air. eventually i do get a ding or two but at least i get to experience my slim design before it gets old. Granit the smart covers are not nearly as bulky as the past.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Agreed. I have a black Smart Cover with a clear Poetic ThinShell on the back/sides.

How well does that work if you're putting your iPad in a bag? Without having tried the smartcover, this solution sounds good for the home, but I imagine a soft sheath would make sense when putting the iPad in a bag for commuting.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Its funny. People get slim iPhones and iPads and then cover them with ugly otter cases making them 1 1/2 inches thick. So it brings them peace just knowing that they have a pretty and slim phone underneath the ugly otter case. Never really getting to realize the nice slim design because it is 100% of the time hidden beneath the monster case. I always fall in the middle. I get the slim one sided case for my iPhone and the slim one sided cover for the iPad air. eventually i do get a ding or two but at least i get to experience my slim design before it gets old. Granit the smart covers are not nearly as bulky as the past.

This thread is not about Otterboxes.

----------

How well does that work if you're putting your iPad in a bag? Without having tried the smartcover, this solution sounds good for the home, but I imagine a soft sheath would make sense when putting the iPad in a bag for commuting.

I don't use a bag often, but I haven't had a problem the few times that I have carried it in my back pack.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
This thread is not about Otterboxes.

----------

I don't use a bag often, but I haven't had a problem the few times that I have carried it in my back pack.

no ****. a smart case is comparable to a otter case in comparison to the smart cover. Its an example.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I would disagree that full sized iPads "usually" stay in the work place or at home. I take mine with me quite a bit to various places.

I use the Smart Cover and a back cover, doesn't make it any less portable for me.

yeah, i take my iPad (before it was the 2,3, and now..) Air every time i need to travel for work, since work consists of developing iOS apps.

and it does make a difference for me, that extra layer just makes it have less space, and does add a little weight, i mean its much lighter since i got the air compared to the older iPads. in my backpack i have my mackbook, ipad, portable router, bunch of wires, bunch display adapters for hdmi, RGB, and DVI or whatever, iphone 4S (my old phone just to test on or use as a phone over seas) portable chargers, etc etc. so even adding that little space the smart case would of taken matters, it would just make my back pack even more tighter (which before blew the zipper because of it)

----------

Ridiculous:rolleyes: Why are people allowed to make stupid polls with stupid questions on here. Where's the moderation?

Wheres the moderation with direct attacks and insults? I have been warned for far less.

Is it stupid? Ive seen more ridiculous threads than this and you're complaining?

I'm just asking what people prefer, because unless you really go out and about and pull your full sized iPad everywhere, there isnt much use for smart case, and it makes it bulkier, heavier, and uglier.

Have some respect, and stop acting like a child. If you think this thread is stupid, and you post in the thread what does that make you?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Smartcover + Carbon Fiber Back Sticker, its amazing as I hate cases but this doesnt even feel like theres anything on the back

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have smart cases on my Air and rMini. They don't add that much weight or bulk, certainly are not ugly and I wouldn't consider leaving the back and edges of my devices unprotected. I tried the cover on my iPad 4 and it felt cold and uncomfortable to hold and I was afraid to put it down anywhere for fear of scratching it.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Been using the Spigen Ultra Thin Air on my rMini and 5s. Must say I really like them. They keep the nice and slim form factor while still seeing the beauty of both models.

I'm thinking of pairing a Smart Cover on my mini for when I travel.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I went from the Cover to the Case. I love the full coverage and soft feel of the case. It feels bigger but of course it does. I enjoy feeling the leather around the edges as opposed to the cold frame of the iPad when using only the cover. To me, it feels just a bit more substantial and I got it on eBay for $64. It's authentic and I'm pleased with it and do not need any other case. Apple did it very well with this one to me. It truly feels worthy of pairing with such a premium device.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If we are talking about the Apple one then smart case. I had the Smart Cover but it didn't hold up well, it got discoloured very quickly. The case feels a lot more premium. I've been using it for 2 months now and it's holding up very well. I also like that it's a one piece affair the cover still needs something to protect the back.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Smart Cover + glass screen protector + skinomi clear skin protector for the back.

I also carry it in a case made for an ultra compact VAIO. :) Sent from my iPad.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I hate the smart case. The edges are way too sharp and the front cover doesn't fold flat against the iPad's back. Not too crazy about the colors either.

I am a smart cover addict. I think it's an ingenious idea and works perfectly. If it weren't for the fact that I like to baby my iPad, I'd just use a smart cover and that's all. As it is, I have a Caudabe Shell for the back and it's worked admirably. Thin enough. Not quite the naked feel, but at least it provides protection in case of drops. I dropped my iPad 2 a few years ago while in a sleeve and dented the corner. Vowed never to go without a solid back cover ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.