Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Hi folks. I'm trying to make what I thought was a simple design for my business/information card. I intend to use it as a business card and also as an information card inside a pack of vitamins.

The design I'd like to achieve is a pill capsule consisting of two solid colors. In the middle of the pill will be my vitamin company name in Helvetica Bold. I want to also have the text of the letters be the same as the colors of the pill. For example, if the pill were half black and half white, the font color will be white and black respectively. I'm not sure what colors I'll actually use; I wanted to play around with that. Maybe red and yellow.

I thought this would be simple to draw but I tried programs like gimp and openoffice draw, but they were more complicated to figure out than I realized. Any advice on how I can learn more and get this done?

Renzatic

Suspended
Any advice on how I can learn more and get this done?

Yup. Online tutorials. Specifically vector art tuts for GIMP, like this one. Hitting up either Google, Youtube, or Vimeo will net you hundreds upon thousands of them.

Keep in mind you won't be up and running after an hour or so. It'll take at least a couple days of practice and patience to even begin doing what you want to do. But stick with it, and you'll be able to make your business card in no time.

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Yup. Online tutorials. Specifically vector art tuts for GIMP, like this one. Hitting up either Google, Youtube, or Vimeo will net you hundreds upon thousands of them.

Keep in mind you won't be up and running after an hour or so. It'll take at least a couple days of practice and patience to even begin doing what you want to do. But stick with it, and you'll be able to make your business card in no time.

Thanks. I thought my design was simple enough but I was still stuck after two hours with Gimp.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I want to also have the text of the letters be the same as the colors of the pill. For example, if the pill were half black and half white, the font color will be white and black respectively.

I'm having a hard time picturing this type treatment. Is the type split in half with the top half being one color and the bottom half being the other color?

If the top of the pill were black, then the top half of the type would be white. And the bottom half of the type would be black over the white capsule.

Correct?

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
I'm having a hard time picturing this type treatment. Is the type split in half with the top half being one color and the bottom half being the other color?

If the top of the pill were black, then the top half of the type would be white. And the bottom half of the type would be black over the white capsule.

Correct?

Imagine the pill on its side. So the left side will be white and the right side will be black. The text will read from left to right. And the color of the text will be the opposite of the background for readability.

I won't really use black and white. Probably red and yellow or blue and white. Still playing around with it.

Renzatic

Suspended
Basically something like this, right?

Pill_Example.jpg

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Hi OP I would suggest you try using Inkscape, it's free and you can output files in svg format which is vector based and therefore can be scaled to any size without loss of quality. This is what I produced very quickly using two circles, two squares and the text.

Cheers
D

Attachments

• Pill Logo.png
    Pill Logo.png
    6 KB · Views: 230

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Just a random observation, but that makes me think prescription drugs and not vitamins. Not to mention that a split name in different colors like that might be a bit disconcerting to read.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Not to mention that a split name in different colors like that might be a bit disconcerting to read.

Oh I completely disagree.

I'm quite interested in learning more about the Na Me Vitamin Company.

;)

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
I hadn't checked this thread in a while. Thanks for all the tips. Those are exactly the type of images I had in mind. I would make a few tweaks of course.

Hi OP I would suggest you try using Inkscape, it's free and you can output files in svg format which is vector based and therefore can be scaled to any size without loss of quality. This is what I produced very quickly using two circles, two squares and the text.

Cheers
D

I tried installing Inkscape but couldn't even get that going. Every time I tried opening the program, the same message popped up, telling me that the first time I used the program it would take several minutes. There was another program, X11, that also popped up.

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Hi OP sorry you had trouble with Inkscape. I forgot to mention that it requires the X11 system, and it does take a while to kick in the first time you run it.

You could try iDraw from the App Store which is a very cheap vector based drawing program which should be easy to get to grips with and exports to a variety of formats including svg and pdf.

But any software new to you is going to take a while to learn regardless of what you want to achieve or how simple you think the design is. To be honest if you are trying to create a brand image for a new, or existing, business/product I would strongly recommend hiring a professional designer to create your logo etc. It will be money well spent in the long term.

Cheers
D

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Hi OP sorry you had trouble with Inkscape. I forgot to mention that it requires the X11 system, and it does take a while to kick in the first time you run it.

You could try iDraw from the App Store which is a very cheap vector based drawing program which should be easy to get to grips with and exports to a variety of formats including svg and pdf.

But any software new to you is going to take a while to learn regardless of what you want to achieve or how simple you think the design is. To be honest if you are trying to create a brand image for a new, or existing, business/product I would strongly recommend hiring a professional designer to create your logo etc. It will be money well spent in the long term.

Cheers
D

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions here.

I'm starting this endeavor partly for the learning experience so it's interesting to learn how much works goes into every aspect of a business. When I "go big" I'll certainly hire a professional to handle things the right way. For right now, I'm quite happy to try my best doing everything on the cheap and learning as much as I can.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Just a random observation, but that makes me think prescription drugs and not vitamins. Not to mention that a split name in different colors like that might be a bit disconcerting to read.

Maybe it's like a Breaking Bad style "vitamin store", it connects the user to the brand expectations :)

My advice, find a decent student designer and give them a case of beer and an iTunes voucher... They'll do a much better job faster than you can.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I won't really use black and white. Probably red and yellow or blue and white. Still playing around with it.

If you're promoting vitamins, you really need to be looking at natural colours, to associate with plants and nature. Avoid stark colours like red, yellow and blue. Have a look at some existing products - this should give you an idea of the colour schemes you should be thinking of.

My advice, find a decent student designer and give them a case of beer and an iTunes voucher... They'll do a much better job faster than you can.

^ Ditto what he said

Attachments

• VP.jpg
    VP.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 149

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Was playing around with ideas for another logo and thought that something like this basic visual would still get over the "pill" aspect of the original concept but without being overtly "druggy"!!

D

Attachments

• VIT.png
    VIT.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 218
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.