Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Anything it can do, the air can do as well or better. It tricks people into spending extra money for the "Pro" machine, when its a 2012 laptop with a slow hard drive, a hugely glarey screen which takes an age to do anything.

Seconded. I own one of those 2012 cMBPs. Beachballs constantly.

I'll never forget when I was working on a group project for college and ended up using my classmate's 13" Air. Sure, it was faster, lighter, and more responsive, but he paid less for it than I paid for mine. Wait.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Not quite true, Apple still produces iPhone 4 (!) and iPhone 4s

They won't be after today. Got an email from Apple with the news of the discontinuing of the iPad 2 with the 4th gen replacing it. So that part is true.

Now just waiting for the 8GB 5C.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
They won't be after today. Got an email from Apple with the news of the discontinuing of the iPad 2 with the 4th gen replacing it. So that part is true.

Now just waiting for the 8GB 5C.

That's not my point - what you said is already front page news. What I quoted was the part about Apple getting rid of ALL 30-pin devices, it's not. iPhone 4 and 4s are still alive

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
$299???? The 1st gen mini is still $299. Haven't you been around to know Apple won't do that.

Yes, I've been around Apple long enough to know that this will happen. But apparently you haven't.

Walmart was selling the iPad 2 for $100 off just a few weeks ago. Target routinely sold the iPad 2 for $50 off.

People really just don't get it. The iPad 2 and now the iPad 4 aren't targeted at consumers. They are targeted at enterprise and educational institutions who are not paying full list price for the devices.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That's not my point - what you said is already front page news. What I quoted was the part about Apple getting rid of ALL 30-pin devices, it's not. iPhone 4 and 4s are still alive

Yes - it would seem the 8GB 5C is only for select countries and even in some the 4/4S are still alive. Here in the US, looks like the 4S will remain.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
So happy apple finally got rid of the iPad 2. This is what I thought they should have done from day one of the iPad Air release. This is going to make my jobs so much easier. I work for best buy and hated when customers asked about the iPad 2 and didn't want to look at any other iPad because of pricing. I even had a hunch apple was going to get rid of it when it had been a month or so since we had got any stock of them. But now at least the iPad 4th gen will be a bit more reasonable seeing as it's only one model older then the iPad Air and not a three year old device.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Ahhh, finally, for a market hungry for something new from Apple, they release... an obsolete model from 2 years ago.

wtf is going on in cupertino

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Someone please logically explain to me why they didn't have this lineup when the Air launched? They discontinued the iPad 4 for the iPad2. I never got that. This was the right move. I still prefer the iPad 4 design over all the rest.

I wonder if these are old stock shipping with iOS 6. I'd buy one if I knew it had iOS 6 on it.

----------

Ahhh, finally, for a market hungry for something new from Apple, they release... an obsolete model from 2 years ago.

wtf is going on in cupertino

The iPad 4 running iOS 6 is faster in every day tasks compared to the air. It also doesn't feel as cheap and the screen doesn't bend when typing on it. You do the math!

hoshie31

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
Havelock, NC
I absolutely agree. To me, Apple is becoming a contradiction. They famously focus on making their products as minimalist as possible. But their retail strategy is beginning to drift back to the Sculley years of bloat.

And the 8 GB 5c just baffles me. How can Apple think it's going to be even remotely useable? Once a customer installs all of Apple's free software at the prompt (iMovie, iWork, etc.), the device will be filled! :confused:

I agree with you in regards to 8GB iDevices. When I got my 1G touch in 2008, I thought 8GB was enough. But as my interest in the App Store and my own tastes in music expanded, I've found that 8GB isn't enough. I wish Apple would expand the base level of memory to 16GB. I feel this won't happen, as I think Apple sees this as a way to get folks to use iCloud and iTunes Match. I also think iOS has become bloated as well over the years.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

And there's also iPod Classic in status quo. When iPod has 128GB of storage then maybe we can all say goodbye to the old Classic.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Of course they continue to innovate. This innovation is just one more way to bilk more school boards and the taxpayers out of billions for a useless "education" tool.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
iPad 4 is the best. All these innovation bashers are wrong! Re-introducing the 4 and retiring the 2 was a great move. Anyone who wanted to get a new 4 instead of the air now has an opportunity to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.