Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Director David Fincher, who is in talks to direct the Aaron Sorkin-scripted Steve Jobs biopic based on Water Isaacson's biography, is hoping to cast Christian Bale in the leading role as Steve Jobs, reports TheWrap.

Though Fincher has not yet officially signed on to direct the film, he has allegedly said that he will take on the project if Christian Bale plays Steve Jobs. Bale has not been approached about the possible role, but he has reportedly been a front runner for the position due to his undeniable resemblance to Jobs.

christianbale.jpg
While Steve Jobs is a long way from Batman, Bale has been considered a prime contender to play the tech superhero since the project was first announced due to his physical resemblance to the Apple co-founder.

Bale has not been approached to play Jobs yet, as the actor is taking a step away from the business to spend time with his family now that he has wrapped the role of Moses in Ridley Scott's "Exodus," which is expected to have him back in the awards conversation after "American Hustle."
David Fincher, who may direct the yet unnamed biopic, was the director behind The Social Network, another Silicon Valley-based film that won three Academy Awards and was nominated for five more, including Best Picture and Best Director.

Sorkin completed the script for the upcoming Jobs movie back in January, and the film is said to take place across three continuous 30-minute scenes at three different Jobs-led product launches.

The movie, which is still in the casting stages, has no set launch date at the current time.

Article Link: Christian Bale Top Choice to Play Steve Jobs in Biopic Written by Aaron Sorkin

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Thought he was a tad overrated in American Hustle, but I don't mind him playing Jobs honestly.

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Watch American Hustle and you know he's going to Kill It, and get an Oscar nomination.

Last edited by a moderator:

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
but he has reportedly been a front runner for the position due to his undeniable resemblance to Jobs.

I don't wish to be crass but he is also a good choice as he can drop the weight needed to resemble someone who has terminal cancer.
Not many actors are physically or mentally capable of that.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Oh, man, this is tooooo funny! Last night I watched "American Hustle," (rented through iTunes) and as I was watching, suddenly the thought came into my mind, "this guy could play Steve Jobs!" I would be delighted if this is what actually comes to pass. He's a good actor and I think if he lost some weight he really would resemble Steve even more......

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I don't see the resemblance other than being Caucasian but this should be waaay better than the kutcher disaster.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Yes Please!

Sorkin, Fincher and now Bale ? How can this get any better ?

This will be one of the best movie of that year. :cool:

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Didn't the last Jobs movie bomb? Why make another?

That was a Ashton Kutcher movie, Not a Jobs movie.

This is the officially licensed Steve Jobs movie based on Walter Isaacson's Biography.

Ashton’s version was rushed to be “first to market”. Sorkin and Fincher will do it right so that "it just works". ;)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That was a Ashton Kucher movie, Not a Jobs movie.

This is the officially licensed Jobs movie based on Walter Isaacson's Biography.

Right, but it was a movie about Steve Jobs. I don't think typical movie going public is going to make too much of a distinction. I'm not saying its going to be a bad movie, but with the prior movie doing poorly, this may be a hard sell.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't see the resemblance other than being Caucasian but this should be waaay better than the kutcher disaster.
Really? I mean it's not like one can easily be mistaken for another or anything, but there's certainly a resemblance there beyond simply the color of their skin.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Never considered Bale, but that could either be amazingly good, or just mediocre. I'm hoping for the former.

Like most though, I stick firm with having Noah Wyle play the role again. :p

I wonder who else they've considered.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't wish to be crass but he is also a good choice as he can drop the weight needed to resemble someone who has terminal cancer.
Not many actors are physically or mentally capable of that.
He's certainly done that before too (in "The Machinist" for example).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.