Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Right, but it was a movie about Steve Jobs. I don't think typical movie going public is going to make too much of a distinction. I'm not saying its going to be a bad movie, but with the prior movie doing poorly, this may be a hard sell.

I don't think that too many people went to see The Social Network because it was specifically about about Facebook/Zuckerberg. This may be a bit different because Jobs' name will be in the title.

B

Sangoma

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
Hopefully a new movie would spend more time on the period from when he is booted from Apple, until the end. The last two movies just brushed over those bits.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
The left looks like Christain Bale, and the right looks like a younger Steve Jobs... wait... it is Bale and Jobs!

((yea, they look nothing alike... and I used to think all Caucasian with with facial hair looks the same))

Well, Bale HAS pulled off some crazy feats on acting... if anyone can pulled off Jobs, Bale could.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hopefully a new movie would spend more time on the period from when he is booted from Apple, until the end. The last two movies just brushed over those bits.

It has widely been reported that the movie will take place in three acts all back stage right before a major product release. Mac, NeXT, iPod IIRC.

B

Mrjoedot

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Asean market
That was a Ashton Kutcher movie, Not a Jobs movie.

This is the officially licensed Steve Jobs movie based on Walter Isaacson's Biography.

yup, exactly. like Andrew Garfield's Spiderman better than Tobey McGuire's one. (although the previous one made more money).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It has widely been reported that the movie will take place in three acts all back stage right before a major product release. Mac, NeXT, iPod IIRC.

B
I thought it was more along the lines of Mac, iPod, and iPhone (not sure who in the general public would really care or even know about something like NeXT).

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Batman playing Steve, doesn't sit well with me.
But he is a better actor then Kutcher.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The left looks like Christain Bale, and the right looks like a younger Steve Jobs... wait... it is Bale and Jobs!

((yea, they look nothing alike... and I used to think all Caucasian with with facial hair looks the same))

Well, Bale HAS pulled off some crazy feats on acting... if anyone can pulled off Jobs, Bale could.
Certainly various facial features (beyond just facial hair or color of the skin) are far from nothing alike and are actually similar enough that with some makeup Bale can very likely pull of Jobs quite well.

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
People who think that Bale is nothing more than Batman are totaly wrong. Bale taking this role would be a gift for the fans. He could make this movie what it should be, epic.

Please, find out what Bale did before Batman and be amazed by this actor. Going deep isn't walking the funny walk. It's a mindset that doesn't fit any actor.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think that too many people went to see The Social Network because it was specifically about about Facebook/Zuckerberg. This may be a bit different because Jobs' name will be in the title.

B
With a combination of involvement (or in some cases potential involvement) of people like Aaron Sorkin, David Fincher, perhaps even Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, with combination of some star-power like Christian Bale and/or some others, that alone can bring quite a few people to the theater. And the story of Steve Jobs and in some sense Apple overall (both of which are fairly well known these days, perhaps even more than Zuckerberg/Facebook) can bring even more.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Perfect. Bale can do intensity.

He has that quality to him naturally, as did Jobs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
maybe there just isnt that much interest in steve jobs.

personally i would rather see a well done documentary about him.
I don't see why there would be less interest in him than Zuckerberg, and The Social Network has certainly done well as a movie (both critically and as far as revenue).

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
So...you must be a Samsung fan

Didn't the last Jobs movie bomb? Why make another?

You're right. Whenever someone creates a product that consumers don't like, no one else in the industry should try creating a better product. That is why apple doesn't sell tablets, phones, or computers. It is also why they aren't developing a smartwatch or a television...

On a side note, Sorkin started planning out this film before the Kutcher film started production, so technically the Kutcher movie was just an attempt to get a movie out there first, and Sorkin is trying to do it right. (A more apt apple comparison :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.