Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
Does anyone have any picture of how this looks in the late 2013 15" macbook pro?

I understand it protrudes but I'd like to know by how much before I order one.

boonerite

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
hello!

I just received mine today and it does not work!!! i have a mid 2009 13" macbook pro and it shows up but it is read only! in disk utility everything is grayed out so i cannot format it or anything.

My early 2011 13" macbook can read and write just fine. Anyone know what the issue is? Please help me out! I got this hoping my wife would be able to get some more memory out of it!

Hi,
I am using early 2011, 15", shows as read only. Any luck on the solution?
It does detect it has 128gb though, but I can't even use disk utility to reformat

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
I've managed to find some pictures of this in a late 2013" 15" rMBP.

I could probably live with it?

Are there any other solutions out there or does anyone know of anything in development?

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Slow on my 2012 MBA

I picked up a 64GB StoreEDGE from santa yesterday and am only getting 40MB/s read and write. what gives? I'm on a mid-2012 mba here, just updated and now wondering if i need to reformat the card or something.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Hi,
It does detect it has 128gb though, but I can't even use disk utility to reformat

I completely gave up on my wife's 2009 MacBook Pro and just bout the minidrive and a 64gb sd card and that has no issues.

However, my early 2011 has no issues with the storedge. You could try taking it out and then putting it back in really fast to see if that works. It's a legitimate solution for some. If that doesn't work you should return it for an exchange or something.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
Hi,

Have you formatted it in ex-fat?

Still not sure about getting one of these, it's a shame they stick out in the net rMBPs.

Are there any other solutions or anything in the pipeline for the late 2013s?

Vrasteophwaaagh

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Have you formatted it in ex-fat? Still not sure about getting one of these, it's a shame they stick out in the net rMBPs. Are there any other solutions or anything in the pipeline for the late 2013s?

I've just bitten the nozzle and ordered one myself. At $79 for 128GB, the price seems either (i) unlikely to stay where it is, (ii) an expression of low sales and high inventory or (iii) an indication that the improved version is on its way.

Since I own a 2012 15" non-retina MBP, I don't foresee issues with the form factor. I'll let you know if there are speed or formatting issues.

People say that reformatting might require having a spare PC, and while my grillfiend own one that I could use, I intend to use the Windows partition on my Mac (if I need to) just to confirm that others can do the same.

Vrasteophwaaagh

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Just got the chance to play with the StorEDGE™ and nearly everything that Stephen1108™ reported has proved true for me, from the packaging and form factor with my non-retina MBP to the card's being recognized and accessible in Dirk Gently's Disk Utility.

If DU hadn't recognized the card, I'd have tried reformatting on a Windows PC and reported on the results, but that wasn't necessary.

The thing I'd like to know from people who've had positive experiences™ with PNY is this:

Has ExFAT proved to be the fastest and most useful format? If so, there seems not to be a reason to reformat because the card is formatted that way already.

On Gearslutz, a few people have reported using their StorEDGE for their 30GB sound libraries in Logic 9 and X, but (despite the above's being a read-only scenario), it sounds as though the card might be a wee Hank slow for that.

Last edited:

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
This is a StorEDGE in a 13" rMBP. I re-formatted mine GPT/HFS+ so that I could encrypt it with FV2. It's not like this card is going to be put in any computer other than my rMBP.

Attachments

• SE1.jpg
    SE1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 206

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
I don't know whether to buy one of these or wait for a solution for the 2013 haswell rMPB. The problem is, I don't think there is one coming.

It's something I'd want to keep inserted the whole time and I don't know if it sticking out like that would annoy me too much.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I would love one of these but there's no point for me if it sticks out that much.

Hopefully they (or someone else) make one that's even smaller.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I would love one of these but there's no point for me if it sticks out that much.

Hopefully they (or someone else) make one that's even smaller.

If I knew there was something on the horizon I'd definitely hold out but it's taken them this long to make that and for all we know the port could change again next refresh!

I mean, I don't think there would be any danger of it getting caught or snapping it just looks a bit unsightly. :p

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
I'm a little suspicious of our new friend... he joined a few days ago and his posting history consists of posting the above exact message, with eBay link, five times.

Indeed. The listing states it doesn't sit flush in the 13" version. As far as I'm aware the 13" and 15" have the same depth in the SDXC port?

sdraspberry

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Re Other Solutions ,NEW MiniDrive 128GB Prototype

There is a new 128GB mac air/pro solution that sits flush, a new solid SD card by the MiniDrive they are offering a 128GB version, I got an early release prototype of their new MacAir 128GB (I know some one at the company) its great! I am testing it in a mac pro, they make caps for pro's too but the airs fit in both, just not as snug as the pro caps.

You can get one at amazon http://www.amazon.com/MiniDrive-Mac...TF8&qid=1393186157&sr=1-17&keywords=minidrive also from theminidrive.com I'm running a speed test now with sdspeed I'll post the results when they are in.
Here are some photo's
IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 11.29.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 11.43.51 AM.png

I've managed to find some pictures of this in a late 2013" 15" rMBP.

I could probably live with it?

Are there any other solutions out there or does anyone know of anything in development?

sdraspberry

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Re 2013 rmpb

That's not a late 2013 rMPB in the picture?

No its a mid 2012 Mac book pro not retina, but I hear they will have one out for the new retina 13 & 15 too soon, lets keep our fingers crossed.;) and thats just a rumor

rfsorcerer

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
64GB StorEdge Speed Test on 13" Retina MacBook Pro

Installed 64GB PNY StorEdge on my Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro yesterday - as others have noted, it protrudes about 0.25" due to the short slot on these machines. I ran BlackMagic Disk Speed Test on it without reformatting the card - WRITE/READ 5GB test file every 8 seconds. The first few W/R cycles showed a low write speed (~10 MB/s). When I stopped it about 10 minutes later, the last test cycle showed 51.2 MB/s WRITE and 72.8 MB/s READ.

I then used Disk Utility to format it as HFS+ Journaled - GUID and ran the same speed test. It started off with low write speeds (~10 MB/s) but high read speeds (80 MB/s). The connection to the card was lost during the testing, but it spontaneously remounted. The connection was lost again a little later; removing and reinserting it did not remount it. I had to reboot the computer.

Concerned about the integrity of the card, I decided to perform more systematic formatting/speed testing. I reformatted it as exFAT-GUID (similar to out-of-box format) and ran 25 cycles of speed testing (5 GB file size). The average speed +/- standard deviation was 37.4 +/- 14.4 MB/s WRITE and 76.0 +/- 10.8 MB/s READ. I then formatted it as HFS+ Journaled-GUID and repeated the 25-cycle speed test: 50.1 +/- 6.7 MB/s WRITE and 85.7 +/- 2.5 MB/s READ. I concluded that HFS+ was the preferable format based on the higher averages and smaller deviations. My observation is that the write speeds for the first few cycles are typically low regardless of formatting.

I then copied 60 GB of small files to the card and used Activity Monitor to keep track of progress. The copy started at about 10 MB/s write speed and the operation was predicted to take 2 hours to complete. The write speed gradually increased to 60-75 MB/s and the estimate dropped to 30 minutes. After transferring 35 GB the speed suddenly dropped to less than 1 MB/s for several minutes before picking back up to 60+. The write speed throttled back to near zero several more times before the operation was completed. I suspect Mavericks software is implicated rather than the SD card. In all, the 60 GB of small files was copied in about half an hour - very satisfactory in my opinion.

One negative I’ve noticed is that every time I’ve closed the laptop lid for extended periods of time (deep sleep), the SD card is disconnected and the “inappropriate removal” warning is displayed when the lid is opened and the machine is awakened. Removing and reinserting the card is needed to remount it. I don’t know whether this is a Mavericks issue, a USB-3 issue, or a SDXC issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.