Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi

I have a lot of *.flv videos in my collection. It's annoying that Finder doesn't show preview for *.flv

All new Youtube videos are in *.mp4, not *.flv anymore. So I ask if *.flv is obsolete and I should convert all media to *.mp4?

Howto convert *.flv loss less to *.mp4?

what do you think?

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
obsolete for sure.

convert them asap to something that doesn't require Flash to play.

mp4 is a way to go there are others, but with mp4 you are sure to have OS X support for years to come and previewing in quicklook, moving them to iOS and iTunes.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi

I have a lot of *.flv videos in my collection. It's annoying that Finder doesn't show preview for *.flv

All new Youtube videos are in *.mp4, not *.flv anymore. So I ask if *.flv is obsolete and I should convert all media to *.mp4?

Howto convert *.flv loss less to *.mp4?

what do you think?
It's not just YouTube. Flash Video (.flv) has been obsolete for a couple of years now. Some video sites have converted their entire inventory of videos from .flv over to .mp4.

There are any number of utilities that will convert the video. FLV Crunch is free.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I hope so

It'd be nice to see Flash disappear altogether - I find the constant 'forced' updates of Flash Player to be intensely irritating. It served its purpose to begin with, but for me, I'd be glad to see the back of it.

Handbrake is another utility which converts .flv files to .mp4

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
thank you guys.

I converted all videos with Handbrake batch mode to MP4. I hope that I don't get new FLV. I download NSFW videos off the internet.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think.....

the issue of more concern is to get rid of Flash. Too many problems/updates. But obsolet?....Can become the day Flash is no more.

Convert the files you have to .mp4 I am sure a Google search would give you some choices about what software to use....

:):apple:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's not just YouTube. Flash Video (.flv) has been obsolete for a couple of years now. Some video sites have converted their entire inventory of videos from .flv over to .mp4.

There are any number of utilities that will convert the video. FLV Crunch is free.

Hey, thanks for the tip about FLV Crunch. I don't have any files to convert, but I like having it in my toolbox :)

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Even Flash itself hasn't really used FLV in a long time. Most developers and live video streaming applications based on Flash have been using mp4 for many years now. I believe it was 2007 when it switched over. Yes that is how long the Flash player has been using mp4. The exact same file and profiles used by HTML5 video. In fact cross browser video players will use the exact same mp4 file to play in the HTML5 player or the Flash fallback player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.