Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I accidentally washed my iPhone 5. I put it in with a bag of rice but after 48 hours there was still water in it. I opened up a silica gel pack that comes in most product boxes and dumped the powder into a different bag. I put my iPhone in with it (do not let it touch the powder) and closed the bag. 12 hours later it was completely dry. Silica works MUCH faster than rice.

It is very important to NOT PLUG YOUR PHONE INTO ANYTHING until it's dry or you will fry the processor.

I also found that Apple put in a special fail safe in case you get the phone wet. Once a sensor detects moisture, it shuts the phone off. Pushing the power button will not turn it back on - this is to keep you from frying the phone. It will only turn back on when you plug it in.

You do realize that you are helping someone whose phone got wet 4 years ago?

Tamara91

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
my friend bought waterproof case for her iphone she returned home filled the bath put her iphone in her new case and placed it in bath. iphone story ends here she cried several days :((

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
the rise absobes all humidity and will clear the phone from every drop of water. i kept my iphone in rise only 2 days ... but if he says that after 2 weeks may mork, i have nothing to lose. will try again and reply in 2 weeks to tell you if it worked
Wrong. Rice won't absobes [sic] ALL humidity ... just a good bit of it. Some people put a pinch in salt shakers during the summer to help keep the salt from caking during the humid days.

To effectively remove excess humidity you need something like fumed silica gel crystals (the stuff that comes in the little packets boxed up with cameras and other electronic stuff that says "DON'T EAT" on the packets - duh!') to reduce the moisture levels. The ...put[ting] in his car's trunk..." just helped raise the ambient temperature to help drive off the moisture.

If it was a quick dunk, maybe the drying out technique will work. Remember, the phone's 99.5% digital electronic circuitry. Moisture there isn't going to necessarily "kill it" (unless the water had a high salinity content). What will be most affected will be the screen and, more importantly, the battery.

Thorough drying out and patience is the easiest and cheapest resort now.

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Plug it in and hold the home and sleep button until you hopefully see the apple logo. It may sound insane but I did fix someone's phone like that. They put there phone in the washer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.