Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drewski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else
I got my 8GB iPod Touch in June 2012. It mainly is used as satellite music player for my iMac itunes database, plugged into a i-friendly radio, however I will take it to the gym and listen to iTunes or podcasts too. I also occasionally use it to surf and read forums when I'm trying to get to sleep. The battery barely budges from full under these conditions, but I have let it drain to zero a few times. Pretty light duty, overall.

Just recently however, when I try to do a little late night forum reading (usually the only time I can catch up on macrumors), the battery will literally go from full to shut down in less than 10 minutes. I can't figure it out. It will still hold a charge just fine if I am listening to music. I have changed no settings, and the wifi setup is exactly the same in our house as it has been since I got the iPod.

The really bizarre thing is that if I shut off Safari, or Chrome, and use any other app on the iPod, the battery indicator actually starts "filling up" again, at least to about 50%.

Seriously, WTF. This is driving me nuts. I can listen to music for hours with no substantial effect on the charge, but open up a browser and surf a bit, and the thing will shut down in minutes.

Help!

Drewski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else
Thanks for the suggestion. I did the full wipe and restore, and in the couple of minutes it took me to log in and type this message on the iPod, my battery indicator has gone down to about 25%.
:mad:
I just got the low battery warning. Seriously, it was just at 100% when I started.

Earlier today, I used the iPod for tunes at the gym for 90 min with little effect to the battery indicator. It has been plugged into the computer ever since.

Freaking ridiculous.

iamvogue

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
I got my 8GB iPod Touch in June 2012. It mainly is used as satellite music player for my iMac itunes database, plugged into a i-friendly radio, however I will take it to the gym and listen to iTunes or podcasts too. I also occasionally use it to surf and read forums when I'm trying to get to sleep. The battery barely budges from full under these conditions, but I have let it drain to zero a few times. Pretty light duty, overall.

Just recently however, when I try to do a little late night forum reading (usually the only time I can catch up on macrumors), the battery will literally go from full to shut down in less than 10 minutes. I can't figure it out. It will still hold a charge just fine if I am listening to music. I have changed no settings, and the wifi setup is exactly the same in our house as it has been since I got the iPod.

The really bizarre thing is that if I shut off Safari, or Chrome, and use any other app on the iPod, the battery indicator actually starts "filling up" again, at least to about 50%.

Seriously, WTF. This is driving me nuts. I can listen to music for hours with no substantial effect on the charge, but open up a browser and surf a bit, and the thing will shut down in minutes.

Help!

The best bet is to make a appointment with Apple and see what they have to say upon checking it out.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Help!

Apple will be able to, in fine detail, tell you how the battery is on a chart. Another option is to call AppleCare and ask them to run a remote diagnostic if that is eligible for iPods. They have done it to my iPhone before.

Drewski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else
Thanks for the opinions. Just today, the ipod would shut off after a few minutes of playing music/podcasts. This was the first time for that. The funny thing is that I would plug it in, and within a minute or so, the battery indicator would show maybe 75% full. I'll assume this means simply a bad battery, and I'll have that replaced, maybe at a local Apple store (we have our choice of many in Chicago area) or more likely at one of the ubiquitous "phone and tablet repair" stores around here.

In related news, I've been transferring iPod duties to my old POS, scratched, cracked, beat-to-death Galaxy S2, and (gasp) it has been performing quite well, even with the original, although easily and cheaply replaceable, battery. It doesn't BT sync as flawlessly in our Mazda as the iPod does, but other than that it has been proving itself well... to be honest, against my better wishes. I've kinda been wanting to switch to iPhones in our house, but those Samsungs and their Android software have been fighting me every step of the way.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
I had this happen to mine when I first got it but I fixed it by doing a bunch of diagnostics and restores. Sometimes I find running it dead and recharging it to reset the battery meter helps. I used to call it "The magical self-recharging iPod of Cupertino."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.