Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Okay, so you really do dream of a world that is ruled by the almighty dollar. If you don't have the most $$$, shut the hell up huh? Heck, why stop there—at elections, why not give everyone one vote for every dollar they have?

Well, I respect your honesty at least, even if I abhor your philosophy.

Great comments!

You abhor respecting other people's property rights? It hasn't got anything to do with the dollar, it has to do with the fact that someone else owns something, either because they have earned it or inherited it, therefore it is theirs and not yours to control. I think its pretty straightforward honestly. Like I said, there's no reason people can't get together like they did in my town, and buy the land if they value it so much. I would much rather live in a world where people are rewarded for creating efficient value in an economy, which is indicated by earning a profit, and then allowing them to freely use the money they earned to consume or invest in things they value, than live in a world where a bought and paid for bureaucrat controls individuals through force, at gunpoint if necessary, based on at best their unrefined view of what is morally virtuous, and at worst by the highest crony bidder. ...Wouldn't you?

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
You abhor respecting other people's property rights?

No. There has to be a balance, whereby both the owner of the property and their neighbour's rights are considered.

It hasn't got anything to do with the dollar … Like I said, there's no reason people can't get together like they did in my town, and buy the land if they value it so much.

So how do they do that without dollars? :confused: In any case, you're proposing that a community (1) gets together and informally agrees on something (easier said than done, and it usually requires some super-committed volunteers to lead and coordinate such an effort—something most people don't have time for), and (2) has to come up with the means to buy up land before the multi-million-dollar corporation does, since the multi-million-dollar corporation would be under no obligation to sell once it owns the land. And all this in place of elected local governments which were setup for this very purpose—to ensure that the actions of people and corporations don't negatively impact the whole community.

I would much rather live in a world where people are rewarded for creating efficient value in an economy, which is indicated by earning a profit, and then allowing them to freely use the money they earned to consume or invest in things they value, than live in a world where a bought and paid for bureaucrat controls individuals through force, at gunpoint if necessary, based on at best their unrefined view of what is morally virtuous, and at worst by the highest crony bidder. ...Wouldn't you?

Let's not get started on guns! I suppose it would be better if everyone owned a gun too and could do with it whatever they please, because after all, they paid for it! Look, the current system, in my country too, is far from perfect. People in power are prone to corruption. But all you're doing is trying to take power away from elected representatives and give it to those with the most money. I suppose in some ways it's a more honest system than the people with the most money bribing the elected representatives! But no, sorry… I don't share your rose-coloured vision of unbridled capitalism.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
"Gets Final Go Ahead" - Receives approval from bureaucrats to do something they want to do on their own property.

You clearly do not understand San Fran at all you? People who live in that city are VERY proud of of how beautiful and well designed nearly every building in their city is. That is why if a business wants to business in San Fran, they will abide by the rules of the city and rules of the people, otherwise then can get out.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
No. There has to be a balance, whereby both the owner of the property and their neighbour's rights are considered.

Again, if you value the land then buy it. Under no peaceable circumstances is it moral or just to bring firearms held by the government into the equation. Ask yourself this. Would I be willing to point a gun at my neighbor myself to force him or her to stop doing what they're doing? That is exactly what you're doing when you do it through the government, because if they don't listen they will be fined, and if they don't pay and stop, the government will bring guns to force them. Be objective and honest, that is what they would do, and putting a bureaucrat in between the gun and yourself does NOT make it moral.

So how do they do that without dollars? :confused: In any case, you're proposing that a community (1) gets together and informally agrees on something (easier said than done, and it usually requires some super-committed volunteers to lead and coordinate such an effort—something most people don't have time for), and (2) has to come up with the means to buy up land before the multi-million-dollar corporation does, since the multi-million-dollar corporation would be under no obligation to sell once it owns the land. And all this in place of elected local governments which were setup for this very purpose—to ensure that the actions of people and corporations don't negatively impact the whole community.

How do they do what without dollars? Respect property rights? Simple, by respecting the rights of the property owner to use their land as they wish. You say we would be ruled by the "almighty dollar," so I would ask you, how exactly does someone get their hands on those almighty dollars? Ideally, by providing valuable services in a free-market economy. By creating or providing goods and services that people are willing to pay for voluntarily. They would hardly do themselves or their reputations any good by being arbitrary hack neighbors. and if they decided to do something you didn't like anyways, then ask them to stop or stop buying their products, which allowed them to make that money in the first place. You'll get over the shadow while you're at work anyways. My community did come up with the resources and the money, and they did buy that land, no guns involved. It was very simple. If you're talking about out-bidding a multimillion dollar corporation, then I would ask you what incentive would a multimillion dollar corporation have to put a huge headquarters in the middle of a neighborhood? These scenarios are completely outrageous, they would never happen. It's not like these things were prolific before the government got involved and zoning, or otherwise approving or disapproving someone could do with the land. And don't even get me started about how disgusting eminent domain is if we were considering the opposite scenario. There was a period of a good 120-130 years in America where the government was not involved in these things, and yet, somehow, they didn't happen anyways.

Let's not get started on guns! I suppose it would be better if everyone owned a gun too and could do with it whatever they please, because after all, they paid for it! Look, the current system, in my country too, is far from perfect. People in power are prone to corruption. But all you're doing is trying to take power away from elected representatives and give it to those with the most money. I suppose in some ways it's a more honest system than the people with the most money bribing the elected representatives! But no, sorry… I don't share your rose-coloured vision of unbridled capitalism.

What is government if not force applied through a gun? Many people here do own a gun that they paid for… I don't really exactly know what your point is? I don't know of a single perfect system around the world, not even one that's close to perfect, yet, they all seem to use during degrees of the initiation of government force. You say would rather give power to people who have the money, instead of power to people were elected representatives, you're absolutely right. Again, how do people go about getting money? By providing VALUE not by being massive jerks to everyone around them. What do elected officials do? They take the votes of 51%, and then impose them on the 49% disagree with them. That's evil. We've never had unbridled capitalism in the world, but the closest we've ever come to it was the founding of America. Over the course of about 120 years, America turned itself from a crappy little collection of war devastated, debt laden colonies, into the wealthiest nation in the world per person, way better than China, which tried Communism for thousands of years. Freedom equals prosperity. Simple.

You clearly do not understand San Fran at all you? People who live in that city are VERY proud of of how beautiful and well designed nearly every building in their city is. That is why if a business wants to business in San Fran, they will abide by the rules of the city and rules of the people, otherwise then can get out.

You clearly do not understand America do you? The land of the FREE. If you don't like it, then why don't YOU get out. If you don't like the way a business is doing its thing, then stop buying their stuff. If the people ACTUALLY agree with you, then the business will not make any money, it'll go bankrupt, and leave in a short time. But i guess you'd rather betray the founding principles of this country for the sake of a few months worth of your pride. Get some backbone. Get some grit.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Walked pass the new sight today. BTW the ugly fountain was nowhere to be found.

Straight on East side view

07CC8A6A-1C29-4DA8-87D5-51F2F14890C8_zpsiexcip45.jpg

Front and east side view

BBEB954C-F21B-4B3E-A668-DCB6FEECBC7B_zpsdmxhhrkl.jpg

Last edited:

WhatUp?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
one problem

ummm looks like the architects have cars going both directions on the road in front of the new apple store....except that's a one way road here in SF. doh
Those be Apple cars and can go any which way they like. Doh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.