Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Professionals Successfully Push Mac Pro to Absurd Limits With 558-Day Video Timeline in Final Cut Pro




After waiting for several years for Apple to release a new professional tower, the company finally released the new Mac Pro last year. With dual-GPUs and an innovative cooling system, the diminutive machine has impressed professional users.

FCP.co decided to test out Final Cut Pro X and their well-equipped 8-core Mac Pro to absurd limits. The site put 1600 connected clips into the GUI, and actually got the Mac Pro to play 50 'layers' of 4K video for a few seconds before it began dropping frames. It also made a 500,000 pixel wide project, useful perhaps for making (extremely wide) digital signage projects. Finally, the site successfully made a 558-day video time line -- roughly a year and a half.
Quote:
We pushed FCPX and the Mac Pro to silly limits, of course nobody will make a year long or a 500,000 pixel wide timeline, but it's good to know the combination will go that far.

It seems that the real limitation is a hardware one, yes FCPX will do 16K, but you have to have the storage bandwidth to supply the huge number of pixels per second. When creating that huge timeline, we used the same clip over and over. Making the same timeline from different shorter clips wouldn't be as easy as we think very large numbers of clips within FCPX will slow the machine down.

Apple have however, built a combination that will be good for nearly all different media sized projects within the foreseeable future. The Mac Pro and FCPX handle 4K like SD, so 8K should be fine.
FCP.co notes that most of the limitations occur with the hardware, not artificial limitations with Final Cut Pro X itself.

Article Link: Professionals Successfully Push Mac Pro to Absurd Limits With 558-Day Video Timeline in Final Cut Pro
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
....And they said apple could not innovate.
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is online now   17 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:55 PM   #3
chirpie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I hereby ban all instances of the phrase "iMovie Pro" or "iMovie on Steroids."
chirpie is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Jcknows0
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 0 Infinite Loop
I'm really excited to see the nMP over the next year or two with Broadwell to see how much the power/performace balance plays out before I dive in, was thinking of a hackintosh til then as I don't even have a 4k camera yet. The newer pcie-3 based flash coming out this year and faster ram by next year should push this even more into new territory.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
I hereby ban all instances of the phrase "iMovie Pro" or "iMovie on Steroids."
I heard the same thing from a good friend who is still using FCP 7 since he's heavily invested but after I took the plunge when 10.1 was released, showing him the benefits, his ears are perking up.
Jcknows0 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:04 PM   #5
iUsers
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Not bad!

That's pretty good! All that power for the low price of at $7,000!
iUsers is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:06 PM   #6
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
....And they said apple could not innovate.
The MacPro does't drive stock price iToys drive stock price and Google has taken the innovation mind-share in that domain.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:19 PM   #7
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
The MacPro does't drive stock price iToys drive stock price and Google has taken the innovation mind-share in that domain.
What do stock prices have to do with it? Apple makes their billions by selling devices and computers, not by trading stock. Google makes their billions by selling ads. And it turns out Apple makes more billions than Google. So if you want money to be the deciding factor in who is more “innovative” then Apple wins anyways.

But seriously, money is the worst metric for determining innovation. They’re not related at all.
GeneralChang is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a
 
Nunyabinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Provo, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iUsers View Post
That's pretty good! All that power for the low price of at $7,000!
If paying $7000 for this kind of power is an issue for you then you definitely don't need that much power.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7; 15" MBP, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo; 13" MBA 1.7 GHz i5; iPad (3rd Gen), 16 GB; iPhone 5S; Hackintosh, 3.4 GHz i7 (2600k)
Nunyabinez is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:24 PM   #9
robeddie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
....And they said apple could not innovate.
Using industry current parts from other companies (intel) to build a relatively fast computer is innovation? Its not like Apple invented super fast parts that no one else has.
I guess its 'innovation' that they were able to cram those parts in a small cylander. But a year from now are you still gonna be oohhing and aahing over that black cylander?
Probably not. You wont even think or care about how it looks.
robeddie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a
 
Nunyabinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Provo, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeddie View Post
Using industry current parts from other companies (intel) to build a relatively fast computer is innovation? Its not like Apple invented super fast parts that no one else has.
I guess its 'innovation' that they were able to cram those parts in a small cylander. But a year from now are you still gonna be oohhing and aahing over that black cylander?
Probably not. You wont even think or care about how it looks.
Did you think that Apple was going to build a machine with technology that didn't previously exist? Did you expect that it would have something other than an Intel CPU, or that it would have proprietary video cards?

What you described is exactly what innovation is for a company like Apple; to take existing technologies and integrate them in a creative way.

I don't know what your criteria are for being able to say that Apple innovated with the MP. Maybe you could enlighten us and tell us what would constitute an innovative MP for you.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7; 15" MBP, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo; 13" MBA 1.7 GHz i5; iPad (3rd Gen), 16 GB; iPhone 5S; Hackintosh, 3.4 GHz i7 (2600k)
Nunyabinez is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:34 PM   #11
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChang View Post
But seriously, money is the worst metric for determining innovation. They’re not related at all.
Money is the best metric of innovation as true innovation generates money.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:35 PM   #12
robeddie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
Did you think that Apple was going to build a machine with technology that didn't previously exist? Did you expect that it would have something other than an Intel CPU, or that it would have proprietary video cards?

What you described is exactly what innovation is for a company like Apple; to take existing technologies and integrate them in a creative way.

I don't know what your criteria are for being able to say that Apple innovated with the MP. Maybe you could enlighten us and tell us what would constitute an innovative MP for you.
Its a relatively fast, but not the fastest computer available right now. What do YOU mean by innovation then. What exactly is so amazing about this machine?
robeddie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Parasprite
macrumors 65816
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
....And they said apple could not innovate.
I have a feeling that you don't know what that word means.
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:49 PM   #14
Freida
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Money is the best metric of innovation as true innovation generates money.
you couldn't be more wrong. Bugatti is perfect example. They have built the Veyron just to proof the engineering excellence. Not to make money! In fact, that project lost money but the result is pure delight. If you think that metric for innovation is money then I don't think we will continue this discussion in a constructive manner as you are blatantly ignorant to what innovation is.
Btw, the inventor of a wheel didn't make money, yet the innovation is still used!
For crying out loud, does everything has to be about money for you to even move a finger?
Freida is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:50 PM   #15
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a
 
Nunyabinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Provo, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeddie View Post
Its a relatively fast, but not the fastest computer available right now. What do YOU mean by innovation then. What exactly is so amazing about this machine?
I already stated what I thought was innovation. In the case of the new MP it's a third of the size of the previous MP with incredible power. It utilizes a novel approach to cooling with the single solid heat sink and one fan. It introduces a new philosophy in workstations; make a very powerful base machine that has the ability to be expanded externally via Thunderbolt 2.

To me that is quite innovative. The fact that there are machines that are faster by no means indicates that they are more innovative. In fact that's what most people around here complain about with things like the MBP. That Apple is simply upgrading to a faster processor and that is not "innovation."
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7; 15" MBP, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo; 13" MBA 1.7 GHz i5; iPad (3rd Gen), 16 GB; iPhone 5S; Hackintosh, 3.4 GHz i7 (2600k)
Nunyabinez is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Chatter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Uphill from Downtown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
I have a feeling that you don't know what that word means.
Other way around bud. Its you who is confused. Look up a dictionary and come back. Or not. Doesn't really matter.
Chatter is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:01 PM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 65816
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
Other way around bud. Its you who is confused. Look up a dictionary and come back. Or not. Doesn't really matter.
Considering the hardware responsible for these numbers are designed and produced by companies that aren't Apple, I would think not.

That is unless you are talking about Final Cut Pro and not the hardware, in which case never mind.
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:22 PM   #18
Blu Reel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Ok I can't resist...

Taking the hardware tangent to the extreme, comparing how Apple is creating a new computer using "existing" technology to how HP, Dell, and the rest of PC industry are using "existing" technology to create a new computer, I would have to award Apple with the title of being innovative since the rest of the PC industry appears to be shrinking as opposed to growing, losing money (downsizing) as opposed to making money, rehashing the same old system and the same old way of doing things as opposed to...what's the word...innovating?

Ok I admit, this is a total troll post, but like I said in my title, I just couldn't resist

I've left gaping holes in my argument and logic...anyone?

Last edited by Blu Reel; Mar 21, 2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Blu Reel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:45 PM   #19
iUsers
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
If paying $7000 for this kind of power is an issue for you then you definitely don't need that much power.
I don't need that much power. I build machines more powerful for less though. Not as fancy of a case, but you get the idea.
iUsers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:28 PM   #20
kpac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iUsers View Post
I don't need that much power. I build machines more powerful for less though. Not as fancy of a case, but you get the idea.
You should list what hardware you are talking about. Some very tech blog (ars technica I believe...?) said that for the price, you can't do better, performance wise, (not even talking about the design). That ain't my expertise, but I bet you can't build a Mac Pro clone for much less, if any less.
kpac is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:41 PM   #21
melendezest
macrumors 6502a
 
melendezest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
OK, people saying the Mac Pro is not innovative need to shut up. It is. Period. It is unique in the market, nothing else is or has been, like it.

Whether or not you like the Mac Pro, or feel that Apple should have gone in a different direction, is another story.

This thing is powerful as hell, and while I'd rather had an updated "old" Mac Pro (both design and price-wise), I can see that Apple's target market would be happy. I am not in it, so it sucks to be me (kinda).
__________________
Apple is great, but it could be better. I don't shy away from pointing out how, just to please its… um... fans.
melendezest is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:55 PM   #22
iUsers
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpac View Post
You should list what hardware you are talking about. Some very tech blog (ars technica I believe...?) said that for the price, you can't do better, performance wise, (not even talking about the design). That ain't my expertise, but I bet you can't build a Mac Pro clone for much less, if any less.
E5-1650 - $550
2 Firepro D500 - $490 a piece ($980)
12 GB DDR3 1866 ECC - $180
Motherboard - $160
PSU - $90
256 GB SSD - $140

= $2,100~

Apple Mac Pro cost - $2,999

I don't even pay the prices mentioned above, anyone with Google does. I pay even less, probably $1,900. So $1,000 off. I didn't include a case or any 'innovation' though.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by melendezest View Post
OK, people saying the Mac Pro is not innovative need to shut up. It is. Period. It is unique in the market, nothing else is or has been, like it.

Whether or not you like the Mac Pro, or feel that Apple should have gone in a different direction, is another story.

This thing is powerful as hell, and while I'd rather had an updated "old" Mac Pro (both design and price-wise), I can see that Apple's target market would be happy. I am not in it, so it sucks to be me (kinda).
"It is. Period.."

That's not how you make a point. If fitting already existing components into a smaller case is innovative to you then Apple has a fan for life and doesn't have to do much.

The retina displays are innovative. Touch ID as well. Motion co-processor. They are plenty innovative, but shrinking a tower is not new. They shrunk the iMac a while back if you heard. They shrink things all the time.
iUsers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:31 PM   #23
iBug2
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by iUsers View Post
256 GB SSD - $140
This is the problematic part. A PCIe SSD costs a lot more than a regular one. So your computer would be around 2300$.

And 2 Firepro D500 - $490 a piece ($980) is also wrong. First of all, there's no D500 for sale. It's closest cousin is W7000 which costs 800 each, so if you go with that, you get 600$ more, and there, you reached the price of Mac Pro.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iUsers View Post
but shrinking a tower is not new. They shrunk the iMac a while back if you heard. They shrink things all the time.
And they are all innovation.
__________________
MP Hex D700 32GB-1TB, rMBP 2.7 15" 16GB, ATD, iPhone 4S, iPad Air
iBug2 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:40 PM   #24
iUsers
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
This is the problematic part. A PCIe SSD costs a lot more than a regular one. So your computer would be around 2300$.

And 2 Firepro D500 - $490 a piece ($980) is also wrong. First of all, there's no D500 for sale. It's closest cousin is W7000 which costs 800 each, so if you go with that, you get 600$ more, and there, you reached the price of Mac Pro.

Sorry I meant D300, and that makes my price correct. It depends on the SSD. I can get the 256 GB PCIE for about $300 though yeah.
----------



And they are all innovation.
If thats the case then every company can claim innovation.
iUsers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:09 PM   #25
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeddie View Post
Using industry current parts from other companies (intel) to build a relatively fast computer is innovation? Its not like Apple invented super fast parts that no one else has.
I guess its 'innovation' that they were able to cram those parts in a small cylander. But a year from now are you still gonna be oohhing and aahing over that black cylander?
Probably not. You wont even think or care about how it looks.
Quote:
Did you think that Apple was going to build a machine with technology that didn't previously exist?
Cough..cough..Thunderbolt 2...Cough. A workstation using a single cooling fan about as quiet as a Mac Mini at 1/4 the size of conventual workstations. I'm sure Thunderbolt 2 will come out eventually for PC's.
__________________
Techshow:http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude

Last edited by linuxcooldude; Mar 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
linuxcooldude is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
final cut pro x how to sync timeline with playhead? gabak Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Mar 30, 2014 02:19 PM
Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X with 2013 Mac Pro Compatibility, 4K Content MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 106 Jan 1, 2014 07:50 PM
Apple Launching New Final Cut Pro X Marketing Push to Win Back Professionals MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 196 May 21, 2013 11:10 AM
Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor Alongside New Pro Marketing Push MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 181 Apr 11, 2013 11:57 AM
Converting XML from Final Cut Pro 7 to Final Cut Pro X and visa versa MacintoshMan Digital Video 1 Oct 11, 2012 04:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC