Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new forum post on Weiphone.com [Google Translation] has revealed a number of details about Apple's upcoming plans for its MacBook notebooks as well as some details about its iWatch initiative. The author of the post has posted legitimate leaks and photos of un-released MacBook hardware in the past, lending credibility to this new information.

macbook_air_line-800x294.jpg
The poster writes about the upcoming MacBook Pro line as well as a new 12" notebook that has previously been predicted, suggesting the future MacBook could be released without a fan assembly and with a redesigned trackpad. A MacRumors reader provides a summary translation of the post:
1. MacBook Air updates are coming soon; MacBook Pro updates won't occur until September.
2. He discusses a new 12 inch notebook without fan assembly. It comes with a new trackpad design that doesn't include the mechanical button, as we do on current MacBooks.
3. An Apple watch device does exist but still in prototype stage, so its announcement won't come anytime soon.
It is not entirely clear where a potential 12" MacBook might fit into Apple's product line. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo first predicted in October that Apple would be releasing a 12" slim MacBook with a Retina Display this later year:
We expect the unprecedented 12" model will boast both the portability of the 11" model, and productivity of the 13" model. The high resolution display will also offer the outstanding visual experience of the Retina MacBook Pro. The offering will likely be lighter and slimmer than the existing MacBook Air to further highlight ease of portability in the cloud computing era.
The buttonless trackpad design that the author describes may be related to a recent patent application by Apple, which describes a buttonless trackpad that uses an array of sensors and an actuator to mimic the function and tactile feedback of the current trackpad.

The author of the post also comments on Apple's much-rumored smart watch, noting that it remains in the prototype stages and is unlikely to see a release soon. That is in line with other rumors, which have targeted a late 2014 release date for the product.

Article Link: New Slim 12" MacBook and MacBook Air Updates Soon

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
A new "slim" Macbook Air?

It's still not slim enough? :eek:
I'm all in about thinner and lighter, but when I buy a $999 piece of electronic, I would expect it to be a bit sturdier.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I'm curious about the lack of fan. Is this the ARM-powered MacBook that has been rumored for a while?

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
i would rather have rumours about displays that need updating and perhaps something new. The iWatch seems great but I will not be getting it at least untild 2nd revision. AppleTV suddenly got downplayed and so did iPad Pro. Hmm, would love to get 17"rMBP back :)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I have no interest in a 12" MBP. I have a iPad air and would only get a 15" laptop. Don't want something in the middle. Retina+ would be great on the current 15" though. :)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Would love a completely noiseless notebook without any moving parts...

Karma*Police

Suspended
Jul 15, 2012
If this rumor is true, I don't see the point of keeping the 11" and 13" Airs. Sounds like this is a perfect replacement for both... It also simplifies the decision making process for consumers and reduces costs for Apple.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Will want to buy if:
-$1,100 or less EDU with 256 GB of storage. Might have to wait til rev. 2 for this though. Apple is always stingy on storage.
-"buttonless" trackpad does indeed have tactile feedback, and it doesn't suck.
-fanless design doesn't require a weaker gpu. I'd would really like a better gpu option for no more than $100 more, but Apple doesn't seem to like to do that

Don't care about it's thinness.

Last edited:

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
No touchscreen laptop in sight? Not surprised since Apple never wanted to take that route for the most part. But messing with my Asus Q501LA touchscreen laptop on Mavericks (hackintosh), the launchpad is so nice going through the app menu, feels just like an iPad or iPhone.

edit: I'm just saying, it feels too good swiping through the Launchpad for me to think Apple isn't working on something here. I'm open to being wrong though.

But, as for real applicable use, who knows...

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I skipped out on the MacBook Air the first time for a MacBook Pro, a 12-inch MacBook would definitely be my next computer, no questions about it! :)

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Awwwwwsome. I'm happy with my rMBP but still interested to see.
Disappointing about the iWatch though, apple is slow to the plate these days it seems..

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
My Air is the best computer I've owned (out of many Macs and a couple PCs). People at university still ask me about it, which is surprising considering its the cheapest Macbook and there should be many around. I'm excited to see what Apple has in store for it.

Hopefully new Mac Minis will be released at the same time!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
there will be no distinction between the air and pro

just have a line of Macbooks of varying sizes, all of which have retina

drop the pro/air label

same with the ipad. every new ipad is going to be thinner and lighter, just drop the air name

go by year, like cars. 2014 12" MacBook … 2014 9.7" iPad, 2014 7.9" iPad (or 10" and 8" for simplicity)

it's classier and minimalistic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.