Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
12" Macbook Ultralite

I bet these 12" Macbook Ultralites will use the "iPad Maxi" screens that showed up in the display pipeline a while back. ARM-based CPU? 12 hour battery life?

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
just got an 11 inch yesterday :eek::eek::eek::eek: . I however knew new ones are likely soon to come out, I think we might see those at wwdc to be honest. I just needed a laptop and couldnt go without one so.. I might loose a bit of money because I will get the new one when it comes out but it is worth it to me. When do you guys think these are likely to be out?

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Sounds like yet another too damn small appliance from Apple.

What the hell, they'll have an 11", 12", 13", and 15", but no 17"???

What will be the big difference between a 12" and a 13" MBP? A quarter-pound? This is stupid.

A 2" gap between models makes more sense.

Apple is still ignoring the desktop replacement category. It is niche (OK, very niche), but still compelling. I'd be happy as hell with a 5-7 pound 17" MBP. Screw thinner-and lighter (than the 17" MBP already was).

I want screen real-estate and power in portable form. A REAL desktop replacement, from Apple. GIVE IT TO US, APPLE. DANG IT!!!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

What will be the big difference between a 12" and a 13" MBP? A quarter-pound? This is stupid.

Apple is still ignoring the desktop replacement category. It is niche (OK, very niche), but still compelling. I'd be happy as hell with a 5-7 pound 17" MBP. Screw thinner-and lighter (than the 17" MBP already was).

I want screen real-estate and power in portable form. A REAL desktop replacement, from Apple. GIVE IT TO US, APPLE. DANG IT!!!

instead, they should make the 13" MacBook pro smaller by shrinking the bezel to edge-to-edge without changing keyboard and screen size

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Sounds to me like the 12" model will replace both the 11" and 13".

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Fanless? That implies it won't be using an intel chip to me.. this very well might be the coming of Mac's switching over to ARM, right in time with Jony Ive's rumored OSX redesign..

villagehiker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Texas
12-Inch Notebook for Professional Work

As a traveling researcher and writer, I really like the iPad mini, but covet the compactness of a 12-inch notebook. I used for years a 12-inch iBook with its white plastic case. Because of the nature of my work, I can write 100% on the iPad but really need disk storage for photos from a professional-quality camera and fast switching among multiple open applications for research.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
instead, they should make the 13" MacBook pro smaller by shrinking the bezel to edge-to-edge without changing keyboard and screen size

I agree, only if they'd remove the bezel but put a bigger screen inside the current enclosures.

I am sick of them going smaller with screens. I want bigger. I can do more, have more on screen and be able to see it, when the screen is bigger. Especially when working with music software in the field.

Apple is killing me. :p

villagehiker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Texas
High-end Applications on Small Notebooks

Still hanging in there with a black core2duo SnowLeopard MacBook. If a 12' retina model can run Logic Pro I'm in.

I used to sell for Apple Retail and had customers using high-end audio and video software on 11-inch Airs with SSD storage—not as their primary machines, but for portable work. The software ran fine. BTW—the black Macbooks are classics. Hang on to your collectible.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
A new "slim" Macbook Air?

It's still not slim enough? :eek:
I'm all in about thinner and lighter, but when I buy a $999 piece of electronic, I would expect it to be a bit sturdier.
The MBAs I own are incredibly sturdy. Not sure what you mean.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
As a traveling researcher and writer, I really like the iPad mini, but covet the compactness of a 12-inch notebook. I used for years a 12-inch iBook with its white plastic case. Because of the nature of my work, I can write 100% on the iPad but really need disk storage for photos from a professional-quality camera and fast switching among multiple open applications for research.

Well, I guess you'll be paying through the nose for a large enough SSD, 'cause I just don't see Apple putting a high-capacity HDD in anything other than desktops.

And even then, they externalize (I'm looking at you, Mac Pro).

The old 13 is both portable and has the capability of installing any drive you want (you could even take out the Optical and put another HDD or SSD in and RAID it). Unfortunately, the screen is crap, comparatively speaking, and its heavier, of course.

Still, I'd buy it over the Retina models. It really depends on what you want to sacrifice.

I hate that Apple does this all the damn time; make us sacrifice something. But nothing out there compares, still to this day.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'm curious about the lack of fan. Is this the ARM-powered MacBook that has been rumored for a while?

Exactly! Without a fan, it makes me think that this computer must be using an ARM processor.

I hope this is not the end of the x86 MBA (with BootCamp)!

----------

I have no interest in a 12" MBP. I have a iPad air and would only get a 15" laptop. Don't want something in the middle. Retina+ would be great on the current 15" though. :)

I have no interest in an iPad. I don't want something in the middle (between my MBA and iPhone). :)

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Watch is still a prototype? That's disappointing.

Late 2014 means Summer 2015.

Renzatic

Suspended
Fanless? That implies it won't be using an intel chip to me.. this very well might be the coming of Mac's switching over to ARM, right in time with Jony Ive's rumored OSX redesign..

You have three possibilities.

It's an ARM chip. I kinda find this doubtful.

It's an Intel Atom chip. It's backwards compatible with x86, but gives you roughly the same power as an ARM chip. Basically, it'd be a really fancy netbook, so I doubt that'll happen.

It's an i3 or i5, underclocked slightly and with turbo boost disabled so it doesn't generate any nearly as much heat under processor intensive tasks. This seems the most likely to me.

Last edited:

erik7970

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2009
I'm sort of surprised by the number of readers that like the idea of a 12-inch MacBook, not that I have anything against it personally. I guess the 1-inch difference between the 13-inch Macbook is a big deal?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Remember, you're reading rumors, there were a lot of "likely" and "expects" in there, not facts.

Apple has THREE different 13" MacBook models right now (Air, Pro and Pro with Retina), so additional fragmentation really isn't so weird. Keep in mind, they used to have 12" PowerBooks and 12" iBooks and I believe they had a 14" iBooks while they had 15" PowerBooks. I think it is more likely Apple could be transitioning sizes.

I could see Apple doing a 12" Air and ditching the 11" and 13"? Maybe making making a 12" retina Air and keeping one or two of the others?? Or dump the 11" + 13" and just have a 12" Air and a 12" Air w/ Retina?

It just depends where they can get the pricing, they always like keeping a $999 model.

I don't see how they'd do a 12" Air Retina and make it significantly thinner than current models; although they iPad Air is 50% heavier than an iPad 4, that was a lot to shave off!

The options are staggering when it's just rumors...

Gary

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
I know it's been said before... But I really think this is going to be an arm64 laptop. Amazing battery life, retina display and running OS X. Possible touchscreen too. As an iOS dev, my hope would also be the ability to run iOS apps on it, but Apple is going to be careful to not make this a convergence program.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I'll wait to see on specs, as I want something pretty powerful next time around, but I'm very intrigued. 12" has always been an appealing size to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.