Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trt740

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
Just purchased a mid 2012 MBA to replace my mid 2010 MacBook Pro (2.4ghz core2duo 4gb of ram). New machine has the 8gb of ram upgrade along with the 256gb ssd and 512mb intel 4000 graphics. WOW is all I can say. This machine is shocking to me. Only set me back 730 after shipping from eBay. Pretty stoked! Has AppleCare until February 1st 2016, 7 cycles on the battery, and is in literally perfect condition. I can't believe the deal I got!

Side note: how much do you recon my mid 2010 MacBook Pro is worth? Like I said its a mid 2010 pro 2.4ghz intel core2duo with 4gb of ram and the 250gb hard drive. I have the original box, restore disks, charger, and paperwork. In great shape minus a few dents on the bottom.

I would say $600.00 depending on the battery cycles. The dents though are a big deal for some people.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
I would say $600.00 depending on the battery cycles. The dents though are a big deal for some people.

It has exactly 500 cycles on the battery and I figure if the small dents on the bottom bother someone enough they can replace it relitively cheaply. I'm pretty much just looking to get 500 for it so hopefully I can hit that. Picture shows dents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105

Trt740

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
It has exactly 500 cycles on the battery and I figure if the small dents on the bottom bother someone enough they can replace it relitively cheaply. I'm pretty much just looking to get 500 for it so hopefully I can hit that. Picture shows dents.

I would think $500.00 is very reasonable since it will need a battery soon. I think at 500+ charges the battery starts to degrade about 30 percent.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
I would think $500.00 is very reasonable since it will need a battery soon. I think at 500+ charges the battery starts to degrade about 30 percent.

That's great news thanks! It's been a great computer and it was my first Mac so I'll be sad to see it go, but using this new to me MacBook Air is such a treat. Really changes the way I use my computer. I used to leave my MacBook in my book bag most of the time at school because I didn't want to bring it out and wait for it to boot and whatnot. This thing is ready to rock in 14 seconds! Man it's awesome!

kristenp

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I got the base model 11 inch Macbook Air and I'm really happy with it. I love how tiny it is :)

Now I'm thinking of getting a magic trackpad and the wireless keyboard so I can hook the Air up to a bigger monitor when I use it at home.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Finally!

I can finally post in this thread!

After a very short ownership of a second hand Mac Mini (too old and slow to my taste), I have now ordered an MBA 11" 8/256. This will be my first Mac.

I've been in the forum for years but never really needed a Mac. Now that I decided to work remotely, the time had come to buy a mobile solution to work on, mainly writing but also a bit of coding and, obviously, large amounts of web "research" (aka procrastination). I've had an iPad for half a year but it irritates the hell out of me. Windows 8 in the shop was weird. I had a touch enabled netbook-sized PDA about 10 years ago (it was the Psion 7), but the switch between Metro mode and desktop mode is just jarring. Tim Cook is indeed right about the refrigerator-toaster. And most of those machines are cheap flexible plastic.

So the choice was easy. Here comes my Mac.

Hoping not to go nuts waiting, because it's got a 2 week delivery because I wanted a QWERTY in an AZERTY country.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Hoping not to go nuts waiting, because it's got a 2 week delivery because I wanted a QWERTY in an AZERTY country.

The Mac is already here, but it's not the model I ordered.

I ordered: i5 1.3GHz, 8GB, 256, QWERTY (English International) keyboard
I got: i7 1.7GHz, 8GB, 256, AZERTY (Belgian International) keyboard.

It seems like they gave me a processor upgrade in return for the wrong keyboard.

The keyboard, for me, is mainly cosmetic. I type blind with 10 fingers anyway, but it's always nice to have a keyboard that more or less matches what I type. The i7 was an upgrade that I really don't need. Most of my workload is quite light (writing, browsing, maybe a little bit of coding), so I don't need the performance. At the same time, it would seem I am also not going to get a hit in battery life: Anandtech says battery life is nearly identical for light workloads.

What would you do? Return and wait another 2 weeks for the i5 QWERTY model or stick with the free upgrade that has a mostly cosmetic detail wrong?

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Bonus RAM

Looks like I just won the Refurb lottery. I ordered a 13" MacBook Air for my wife, and selected the 4/256 option. The machine we got has 8GB of RAM. This configuration hasn't appeared in the Refurb store before, so I can't say exactly how much this bonus is worth, but it was a pleasant surprise anyway.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
I too hit the Refurb lottery. Really wanted a 13"i5/8GB/128GB but decided to order the the base 13" i5/4GB/128GB cause of the discount.

I instead received a 13" i5/8GB/128GB for the base price. Called to verify no up charge, dude actually told me "Happy Birthday, sorry the gift was late, but hopefully this makes up for it". My birthday was less than two weeks ago. Scary they have that info, but I've only bought no less than 24 different Apple devices....:)

Last edited:

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Just ordered Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, 8 gig RAM 512 SSD. Much cheaper than a new 1.5 new.

Never ordered a refurb before. Somewhat worried, but could find no real reason not too. All my research found glowing reviews on all refurbs.

With the money I saved I can order AppleCare and Rain Design MStand Laptop Stand from B & H and still have a few bucks left over.

Sounds too good to be true. Fingers crossed.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Just ordered Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, 8 gig RAM 512 SSD. Much cheaper than a new 1.5 new.

Never ordered a refurb before. Somewhat worried, but could find no real reason not too. All my research found glowing reviews on all refurbs.

With the money I saved I can order AppleCare and Rain Design MStand Laptop Stand from B & H and still have a few bucks left over.

Sounds too good to be true. Fingers crossed.

Be sure and post how it is when it arrives and your thoughts. Sounds like a smart move.

My first refurbished had issues, but it was a known issue with that particular model. Yours should be fine. But I'd still like to hear your impressions and if your are pleased with the purchase after it arrives.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Will do.

EDIT: Just received shipping notification email. MBA will be here Tuesday the 25th. That was fast, just ordered yesterday.

Arrived today. Looks brand new. Cleaned my old iMac of many old and useless files and apps. Migration assistant moved all my data and apps. So far so good. Real fast and over 100 gigs left. Will be selling iMac.

Last edited:

rmp71701

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Just got my first Macbook: 2013 base model 13" MBA (4GB/128) - open box at Best Buy.

Had a $150 student discount coupon. Manager also took off an extra $50 just because I asked (hint: never hurts to ask when buying open box!). Final price after tax was $754. I debated whether to get 4GB RAM, but at this price I didn't want to miss out on a good deal.

I'm going to have Genius Bar check it over later just to make sure it's clean. Excited to get this home & explore all it can do. So long, old PC...

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Will do.

EDIT: Just received shipping notification email. MBA will be here Tuesday the 25th. That was fast, just ordered yesterday.

Arrived today. Looks brand new. Cleaned my old iMac of many old and useless files and apps. Migration assistant moved all my data and apps. So far so good. Real fast and over 100 gigs left. Will be selling iMac.

Was your Macbook Air sealed in the plastic properly like a brand new one? I got a refurbished computer and it wasn't sealed in anything called Apple and had one the next day from California FedEx'd over night

Just got my first Macbook: 2013 base model 13" MBA (4GB/128) - open box at Best Buy.

Had a $150 student discount coupon. Manager also took off an extra $50 just because I asked (hint: never hurts to ask when buying open box!). Final price after tax was $754. I debated whether to get 4GB RAM, but at this price I didn't want to miss out on a good deal.

I'm going to have Genius Bar check it over later just to make sure it's clean. Excited to get this home & explore all it can do. So long, old PC...

Good Luck and enjoy your new Macbook Air

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
I need help veruy badly plz help me

I have had this macbook air for a few months, and the wifi at my house has never failed. Then I started bringing it to school, and the wifi connected just fine until a few months after when it suddenly stopped working with my school wifi. If I go into system preferences, it sometimes says that it is connected, and it sometimes says it is not, but there is always a ! on the wifi logo on my menu bar. I did a few diagnostics, and i managed to get it to connect to the wifi, the wifi settings, the network settings and the ISP, but i could never get it to connect to the internet or the server. I cannot reset the router or change anything on it because it is my schools, and every other device can connect just fine. I have trien many methods and I need to get it to work for my schooling. ANy help is greatly apprecianted, thanks.

tidusjar

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Hello!

Been browsing this forum for quite some time now, I purchased my first Macbook over the weekend! First Mac OS product ever (I have an iPhone and a iPad).

My Macbook air 4gb/128gb should be arriving today!
Lets hope it gets here sooner!

Vdubguy18

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Couldn't wait out any longer...

Well I finally decided to pull the trigger so to speak.

Went last night and picked up a MBA 13' base. I have been looking for some time now and was going to wait for the refresh. Yet I couldn't seem to hold out for it. Not to mention that I could not pass up on the price I was able to get it for.

I had tossed around the ideas of getting a refurb from Apple. However, I did not want to wait on shipping. Patience is sometimes hard for me when I get the "Itch".

So checked out Best Buy and thats when I saw "her" (MBA). Marked to $953 as an open box. Condition was "Excellent" and it had nothing missing. Worked it out to get additional $$ off. Out the door price with tax included was $850.

Got it home and checked it out...FLAWLESS. Powered it up and checked cycles...only 2. So the original opening and when best buy had to power it on to check the product prior to open box sale.

Needless to say I was extremely excited to get such a great deal on this that I could not pass it up.

Now I am looking in to cases and sleeves for protection. As well as possibly something to carry both my MBA and iPad Air. Any suggestions would be great as well as I will be checking the search within the forum. But anyones opinions/experiences are greatly appreciated and welcomed!

tidusjar

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
So I received my MBA Refurb 2 days ago.

The condition of it is new, only 5 cycles! I am thoroughly impressed with this, there is not a hair scratch on it! Completely immaculate!

I am now in love (Misses hates it).

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Well i got it Monday, and I luv it. A real Mac:eek: It's got the Samsung display and the Toshiba 64GB SSD. I'll be using the SSD only when I'm mobile (airports and such) and then only for internet access. Most programs have been removed from the SSD.

I also bought a Seagate 500GB Hybrid (Fusion) SSHD for use when I'm in a hotel room or in a settled location. The drive is in a Orico USB3 enclosure. The Seagate/Orico combo is small and very portable.

I'm happy with the display and the overall performance for such a small piece of equipment.

Well, my Grand Experiment FAILED. I hated to have to pull out the external Hybrid drive every time I wanted to use the MBA while in a hotel or visiting a friend or whatever. The lack of convenience was just a BIG drag. So, I ordered a 480 GB drive from OWC (Yep, Lots O Money). But, the convenience is certainly worth it. Skimping with the 64GB SSD was a real BAD idea:mad:

Lou

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Hello!

Been browsing this forum for quite some time now, I purchased my first Macbook over the weekend! First Mac OS product ever (I have an iPhone and a iPad).

My Macbook air 4gb/128gb should be arriving today!
Lets hope it gets here sooner!

Congrats! I'm very happy with my MacBook Air, and I think you should be too!

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Mba 13" 1.7/8/256/jis

With the help of a friend that works at an Apple store (read: discount), I ordered a 13" Macbook Air last night. Started with the top model and maxed out both the RAM and the processor. I left the hard drive alone, as I expect this to be a work-only laptop (I will save the gaming/media for my 15" MBP at home). Still-- 256GB is pretty hefty, considering I have only a 128GB installed in my MBP, and it still has 60GB free with OS X and all of my applications installed (the MBP also has a secondary internal 500GB HDD that I use to store my media on, courtesy of DataDoubler).

I also opted to get the JIS (Japanese) keyboard in my custom build. I have been self teaching myself the language for 2 years, and have had my MBP/iPhone/iPad OS language set to Japanese for the same amount of time. It's about time I graduate to a genuine Japanese system, keyboard and all. :)

Now-- I hope these rumors of an update next week don't screw up my order. I may have to do a return and re-order if there really is a refresh. ><

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.