Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick-32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Freind recently bought a mac
Model: powermac g5, possibly 2005 model i think.

Issue: Will not allow me connect to internet. It says airport in system details but it's not showing up in the connection menu. It does show ethernet in the menu however. Tried connect via ethernet cable and still not working..

Broadband works perfect for other current and new devices.

Any ideas as to what might help? Not sure if this common issue or not

Would...
- repair permissions work?
- clean install?
- Or would edit or new location?
- si there a palce to check all the drivers are ok, and possibly download to USB and install them that way?
- or delete preferences?

Or any other 1st steps take.. i don't have laptop but any help would be great so I can give it a go soon..

Thanks.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
With the assumption that this Mac is using OS X 10.5.8 (you did not say which version of OS X) try this…

System Preferences>Security>Firewall. Turn it off (Allow all incoming connections). Go to Network (in System Preferences) and click on the Advanced button. Go to the TCP/IP tab and click on the Renew DHCP lease button. Check to make sure you have an IP address other than 169.x.x.x. If you do click OK, go back to the Firewall and return it to it's original settings.

Let us know if this works.

Patrick-32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
With the assumption that this Mac is using OS X 10.5.8 (you did not say which version of OS X) try this…

System Preferences>Security>Firewall. Turn it off (Allow all incoming connections). Go to Network (in System Preferences) and click on the Advanced button. Go to the TCP/IP tab and click on the Renew DHCP lease button. Check to make sure you have an IP address other than 169.x.x.x. If you do click OK, go back to the Firewall and return it to it's original settings.

Let us know if this works.

I'm unsure of version myself... I assumed leapord/or SL.. however I won't know until tomorrow.. I shall go through steps mentioned above.. I'll provide a reply if it solved the issues, and if not I shall reply with information and exact OSX version..

Many thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm unsure of version myself... I assumed leapord/or SL.. however I won't know until tomorrow.. I shall go through steps mentioned above.. I'll provide a reply if it solved the issues, and if not I shall reply with information and exact OSX version..

Many thanks.
If the Mac in question is truly a PowerMac G5 and not a MacPro, then Leopard 10.5.8 is the highest version of OS X it can run.

Snow Leopard (10.6) and above all require an Intel processor. All G5s are PowerPC so running Snow Leopard will be impossible for them.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
Have you physically verified that it actually has the Airport module installed?

It was an option on the G5, not an include.

That said, the speed of the Airport module, versus 1000bT Ethernet, is laughable; and if you don;t have the antenna 'T' dongle (or a good substitute), it's really horrible in terms of reception.

I use 1000bT on my G5 systems, despite having AirPort modules in some of them. At least it isn't the PCMCIA 82.11b module that is in most of my Powerbooks, but I wish that Apple had made the G5 module PCMCIA, so that it could be used with a PBG4. (I only use WiFi for LAN file transfers on laptops, and 802.11b is terrible at streaming video from the servers.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.