Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in talks with Comcast about using the cable provider's network for a streaming TV service to be integrated in a future version of the Apple TV, reports The Wall Street Journal. According to the report, Apple's set top-box would be able to access Comcast's wide variety of channels for a monthly subscription, with the Apple TV receiving "special treatment" from Comcast when connected to its cable network to ensure that it would bypass congestion on the Internet for optimal streaming.

apple_tv_splash_2014-800x494.jpg
Apple's intention is to allow users to stream live and on-demand TV programming and digital-video recordings stored in the "cloud," effectively taking the place of a traditional cable set-top box.

...Under the plan Apple proposed to Comcast, Apple's video streams would be treated as a "managed service" traveling in Internet protocol format--similar to cable video-on-demand or phone service. Those services travel on a special portion of the cable pipe that is separate from the more congested portion reserved for public Internet access.

People familiar with the matter said that while Apple would like a separate "flow" for its video traffic, it isn't asking for its traffic to be prioritized over other Internet-based services.
The report also adds that Apple and Comcast are still in early discussions, and that Apple's ultimate goal would be to ensure that Apple TV users receive the same quality that Comcast's regular cable boxes receive. Apple has proposed to Comcast that users would sign onto the new device using an existing or new Apple ID, and asked for a cut of the monthly subscriptions paid for by customers.

Apple has traditionally positioned the Apple TV as a "hobby product" with occasional refreshes adding new features. In January 2014 however, Apple revamped its online storefront adding a new category for the Apple TV alongside the categories for the Mac, iPhone, and iPod product lines suggesting that the product may be moving out of the hobby status assigned to it.

CEO Tim Cook also revealed during the company's 2014 shareholders meeting that the Apple TV generated $1 billion last year, noting it was "a little more difficult to call [the Apple TV] a hobby these days" given its growth.

Apple is expected to launch a new Apple TV sometime in the near future, with some rumors pointing to a refined set-top box that may include gaming and cable box-like capabilities. The move would also come as Comcast announced that it would be merging with Time Warner Cable in February, which Apple was reported to be in talks with for quite some time to provide TV shows and other media.

Update: The Information has shared more details on Apple's future set-top box, stating that the device will feature a "dramatically overhauled interface" which will blend TV listings with apps and video from the web. The report also notes that the next-generation Apple TV will place a "big emphasis" on gaming, with Apple asking developers of iOS games to make their titles compatible with its new product so that users can play games on their TV screen using iOS devices as controllers.

Article Link: Apple in Talks with Comcast to Provide Streaming TV Service on Future Apple TV

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
So, could this help usher in the promise of long ago that we actually get competition? Would I have to live in a Comcast service area? Or could I get them in an area that they don't serve?

Dissonance

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
Boston, MA
That'll be the day...

Apple and Comcast are absolute opposites. I can't imagine them ever collaborating on anything without Comcast completely screwing it up.

AppleSauce007

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Here we go again...

AT&T bought Cingular and got iPhone. Verizon got left behind...
Comcast will buy TimeWarner cable and get iTV. Will Verizon get left behind again?

The start of something big? Time will tell.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
This is progress? No thank you. The whole point of AppleTV (at least for me) is to NOT have cable. I'm a cord cutter. What's the use if the cable company is still in play? Forget it. I'd like to see cable television go out of business some day!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Uh-oh

I'm not sure I like the direction this is taking. We're supposed to be bypassing things like Comcast and connect directly with the media creators. :(

With such deals taking place, Apple are giving more strength to content providers which are the useless middlemen of the 21st century. :mad:

Can you imagine making deals with Sony so that iTunes can connect to SonyMusic servers instead of selling the music files directly to you? That's what Apple are doing with the TV providers if this is true.

It's going to get messy, especially for international customers and probably even within big countries like the USA and Canada where exclusive deals are done by states/provinces or even counties/regions.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm not sure I like the direction this is taking. We're supposed to be bypassing things like Comcast and connect directly with the media creators. :(

With such deals taking place, Apple are giving more strength to content providers which are the useless middlemen of the 21st century. :mad:

Can you imagine making deals with Sony so that iTunes can connect to SonyMusic servers instead of selling the music files directly to you? That's what Apple are doing with the TV providers if this is true.

It's going to get messy, especially for international customers and probably even within big countries like the USA and Canada where exclusive deals are done by states/provinces or even counties/regions.

For Apple it makes sense. For the consumer - it's not necc the ultimate scenario, now is it?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
This is progress? No thank you. The whole point of AppleTV (at least for me) is to NOT have cable. I'm a cord cutter. What's the use if the cable company is still in play? Forget it. I'd like to see cable television go out of business some day!

unless you watch very little TV you are just going to nickel and dime yourself until you spend just as much on all the different services

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
AT&T bought Cingular and got iPhone. Verizon got left behind...
Comcast will buy TimeWarner cable and get iTV. Will Verizon get left behind again?

The start of something big? Time will tell.

What are you talking about? Verizon has FIOS and that is 100 x better then any ATT network. lol Both companies made about 128bill last year.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Apple should just put in HDMI pass thru on the new Apple TV and let us decide who we want to get television service from.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh - and p.s. Time Warner is just as bad and their customer service is pretty horrible.

Apple should really work on another angle. This will not end well for them :p

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I think this is a model that could work because it brings the confrontational providers on board, uses widespread infrastructure and takes on people's existing relationship with their tv and internet service provider.

Instead of buying a traditional cable package and using a set top box provided by their cable company, customers would sign up for TV as part of their internet package and get a free AppleTV to access those services.

Essentially, Apple would use a similar model to that of the iPhone. You get subsidized hardware in exchange for a plan to use an ISP's services.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple and Comcast are absolute opposites. I can't imagine them ever collaborating on anything without Comcast completely screwing it up.

Apple gave AT&T nearly 4 years of exclusivity with the iPhone and it worked out just fine.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
What are you talking about? Verizon has FIOS and that is 100 x better then any ATT network. lol Both companies made about 128bill last year.

It's right in the OP? Apple made a deal with Cingular for iphone exclusivity, leaving Verizon out... AT&T bought Cingular...

Apple has been reportedly working on this with Time Warner Cable as their first partner, from initial rumors.... Comcast is buying TWC. Verizon bring left out a second time....... This time FiOS being the service skipped. Just was a little bit of history repeating itself if this is true, is what was being driven at...

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Apple you should be talking with Amazon to get Amazon Prime and also talk with Charter Communications to allow us to access HBO Go for **** sakes.

Better idea Apple talk to major studios and start your own streaming service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.