Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sketchy iPhone 6 Dummy Unit Surfaces in New Photos

Photos of a new "dummy unit" of Apple's alleged iPhone 6 have surfaced on the site of case manufacturer Bling My Thing (via 9to5Mac community post). The photos show a black device that could be used as part of a mold to create cases based on that body design.

There are several issues with the case shown in the photos, however, including a round hole for the LED flash on the rear camera instead of the oval hole introduced on the iPhone 5s to accommodate the new True Tone dual-LED flash. Given the improved flash performance possible with dual LEDs, Apple will presumably continue to use dual-LED flash in future iPhones.

The photos also appear to show a slight change to the design of the earpiece area of the iPhone, with the proximity sensor window moving from next to the earpiece to next to the front camera. The ambient light sensor (not easily visible) is currently in this location. The dummy unit also shows the earpiece/camera/sensor features moved higher on the device's front, to the point where the front camera unreasonably appears to sit at the very top edge of the device.

The dummy unit depicted in the photos carries a screen size of approximately 4.7 inches if relative sizing compared to the iPhone 5s shown next to the model is accurate. That size is in line with circulating rumors, with the company also rumored to looking at even larger version with a display in the range of 5.5-5.7 inches.

The blog post also includes a list of features for the iPhone 6, although it appears to simply be a recitation of circulating rumors rather than specific claims.

Article Link: Sketchy iPhone 6 Dummy Unit Surfaces in New Photos
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Um. No. lol
Z400Racer37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #3
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Here we go... let's hear it
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #4
ashwin4
macrumors member

4.7 inches is perfect
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #5
WillFisher
macrumors 6502

The location of sensors and lens holes seem really close to the edges, no?
I'm not a big fan of the size, I was hoping for something similar in size to the iPhone 5.
Oh well, just gotta wait and see what really happens!

iToys: White iPhone 5, White iPad 3, ATV3, Time Capsule, Airport Express.
WillFisher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #6
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

looks nice.. I could use a new chopping board.
iLoveiTunes is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Tigerstyles
macrumors newbie

identical but bigger .. can't hold my excitement
Tigerstyles is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:39 AM   #8
samonaz
macrumors member

Looks thicker...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:41 AM   #9
fs454
macrumors 6502a

Its definitely plausible that they've figured out how to house the dual-LED or similar light output setup in a round hole - no need to keep it elongated, especially now that the LED hole appears to cover the same or more surface area as the 5S LED hole.
iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey / iPad 3 16GB+LTE
fs454 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:42 AM   #10
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samonaz View Post
Looks thicker...
It's supposed to be a mold for a case. Cases are usually thicker to offer more protection.
stuffradio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:42 AM   #11
piker944
macrumors newbie

Is it just me or does that pic make it look like top and bottom of the phone are thicker than the middle? If so, that would speak to a curved glass front with a flat back. With all the early rumors of curved glass, I could never understand why anyone would want it, but this finally is starting to make some sense.

Many users are afraid of a larger screen because they want to maintain the ability to use the phone with one hand (hold the phone and use the thumb to operate). That would be more difficult for most people if the phone is too wide. BUTů If the glass is curved, it would mean the thumb could more easily reach what would otherwise have been out of reach.

Then again, it could just be a poor image and/or totally faked...
piker944 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

I hope this isn't the 6.

Apple has been milking this design language for 4 years now.

It's time for something new.
Richardgm is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:48 AM   #13
agsystems
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin4 View Post
4.7 inches is perfect
Fake or not - I hope Apple would do something similar - wider for more content not just longer like the current 5/5s models.
agsystems is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:52 AM   #14
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Funny how the Photoshop drop shadow on the rightmost unit in the bottom pic has rounded bottom corners, but the actual corners on the unit are almost chopped off diagonally.

Someone with such poor handle on photo editing is unlikely to have been able to produce a rendering, so my guess is that the thing does exist in physical form, but whether it's a 'fake' or 'real' dummy, only time will tell.
Anuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:00 PM   #15
richardw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFisher View Post
I'm not a big fan of the size, I was hoping for something similar in size to the iPhone 5.
I agree with this, and if this is the location of these sensors and lens on the next iPhone then I'd think that Ive's team have some real problems just balancing up the basic layout of things visually.

That said on the 5/5s, the proximity of the lens to the Aluminium/glass interface below it is jarring, as is the fact that the lens does not have it's centre in line with the centre of the phone corner radius.

Details like these matter.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:13 PM   #16
the8thark
macrumors 68030

I would never buy a device that large for taking calls. I want a phone, not a phablet. Apple would have to have really lost the plot to put out a phablet.

I fail to understand how anyone wants a phablet. Sure people have their excuses for wanting one. But those excuses just make their lives more complicated.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:15 PM   #17
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

Why can't they put everything in the earpiece slit? Make it a wider opening and put the FaceTime camera on one end, the earpiece in the middle, and the light sensor on the other end. Makes it look more streamlined.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:19 PM   #18
ghost187
macrumors regular

Apple is going to have a hard time making low IQ people understand that 4.5-4.7" iPhone is the same size as the current iPhone 5S.
ghost187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:24 PM   #19
lewisd25
macrumors regular

That black slab already looks better than any Samsung phone I've seen.
lewisd25 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:35 PM   #20
hybroid
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I would never buy a device that large for taking calls. I want a phone, not a phablet. Apple would have to have really lost the plot to put out a phablet.

I fail to understand how anyone wants a phablet. Sure people have their excuses for wanting one. But those excuses just make their lives more complicated.
Some of us are "larger" people with bigger hands and fingers. Larger screen helps. Some of us like to consume games and media more than calls and texts. Larger screen helps. Some use maps a lot. Larger screen helps. Some people have limited/poor eyesight. Larger screen helps.

A larger screen would not make my life "more complicated" - in fact, a whole lot easier and more convenient without need to tote an iPad around as much.
hybroid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:37 PM   #21
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

4.3-4.7 inch iPhone 😍😍😍😍with 70%-ish screen to front panel size would be awesome , couple that with the rumored healthbook and iwatch and I may just run out of money ..

Please apple pleaseeee

Oh I don't know if anyone has read up on the new oppo but it charges 80% of it's 3000 mah battery in 30 minutes using some witchcraft , I am hoping apple uses this tech in their upcoming phones
Ventilatedbrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:39 PM   #22
reden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFisher View Post
You're not the target market for this phone, keep using the 5 or 5s if you're a fan of that size. I'm sure they'll continue selling it.
reden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:43 PM   #23
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post

A year ago I would be on board , but I bought a nexus 4 and the screen on it is amazing , such a nice media consumption tool , too bad android isn't such a bliss but larger screens are very nice so long as they don't get to 5.x"
Ventilatedbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:44 PM   #24
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

If and when they make the iPhone bigger, I surmise it will cannibalize a small portion of iPad sales the same way the iPad cannibalized some of the MacBook sales.

I had to get an iPad mini Retina since the iPhone 5 is too small at times.

However, i hope it puts an end to the iPad/iPhone divide or forces developers to make Universal binaries only, or allows the larger iPhone to run iPad apps. The biggest problem is that when I bought my iPad, I purchased a lot of iPad-only apps, some of which are not even offered for the iPhone. At least with the iPhone apps, I could run them on my iPad, albeit in the 2X mode, but at least I can. Can't do that on the iPhone with iPad apps.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:48 PM   #25
Menge
macrumors 6502a

I wish they'd just make the screen a tad bit bigger without increasing the actual phone size like in this render I made for fun. (4.5" display, here, the phone hanging on the far left edge shows the bezel size of the current iPhone 5s)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	composite1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	466106  

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion