Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photos of a new "dummy unit" of Apple's alleged iPhone 6 have surfaced on the site of case manufacturer Bling My Thing (via 9to5Mac community post). The photos show a black device that could be used as part of a mold to create cases based on that body design.

iphone_6_dummy_unit_2-800x565.jpg
There are several issues with the case shown in the photos, however, including a round hole for the LED flash on the rear camera instead of the oval hole introduced on the iPhone 5s to accommodate the new True Tone dual-LED flash. Given the improved flash performance possible with dual LEDs, Apple will presumably continue to use dual-LED flash in future iPhones.

iphone_6_dummy_unit_1-800x565.jpg
The photos also appear to show a slight change to the design of the earpiece area of the iPhone, with the proximity sensor window moving from next to the earpiece to next to the front camera. The ambient light sensor (not easily visible) is currently in this location. The dummy unit also shows the earpiece/camera/sensor features moved higher on the device's front, to the point where the front camera unreasonably appears to sit at the very top edge of the device.

The dummy unit depicted in the photos carries a screen size of approximately 4.7 inches if relative sizing compared to the iPhone 5s shown next to the model is accurate. That size is in line with circulating rumors, with the company also rumored to looking at even larger version with a display in the range of 5.5-5.7 inches.

The blog post also includes a list of features for the iPhone 6, although it appears to simply be a recitation of circulating rumors rather than specific claims.

Article Link: Sketchy iPhone 6 Dummy Unit Surfaces in New Photos

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
The location of sensors and lens holes seem really close to the edges, no?
I'm not a big fan of the size, I was hoping for something similar in size to the iPhone 5.
Oh well, just gotta wait and see what really happens!

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Its definitely plausible that they've figured out how to house the dual-LED or similar light output setup in a round hole - no need to keep it elongated, especially now that the LED hole appears to cover the same or more surface area as the 5S LED hole.

piker944

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Seattle
Is it just me or does that pic make it look like top and bottom of the phone are thicker than the middle? If so, that would speak to a curved glass front with a flat back. With all the early rumors of curved glass, I could never understand why anyone would want it, but this finally is starting to make some sense.

Many users are afraid of a larger screen because they want to maintain the ability to use the phone with one hand (hold the phone and use the thumb to operate). That would be more difficult for most people if the phone is too wide. BUT… If the glass is curved, it would mean the thumb could more easily reach what would otherwise have been out of reach.

Then again, it could just be a poor image and/or totally faked...

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I hope this isn't the 6.

Apple has been milking this design language for 4 years now.

It's time for something new.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Funny how the Photoshop drop shadow on the rightmost unit in the bottom pic has rounded bottom corners, but the actual corners on the unit are almost chopped off diagonally.

Someone with such poor handle on photo editing is unlikely to have been able to produce a rendering, so my guess is that the thing does exist in physical form, but whether it's a 'fake' or 'real' dummy, only time will tell.

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
I'm not a big fan of the size, I was hoping for something similar in size to the iPhone 5.

I agree with this, and if this is the location of these sensors and lens on the next iPhone then I'd think that Ive's team have some real problems just balancing up the basic layout of things visually.

That said on the 5/5s, the proximity of the lens to the Aluminium/glass interface below it is jarring, as is the fact that the lens does not have it's centre in line with the centre of the phone corner radius.

Details like these matter.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I would never buy a device that large for taking calls. I want a phone, not a phablet. Apple would have to have really lost the plot to put out a phablet.

I fail to understand how anyone wants a phablet. Sure people have their excuses for wanting one. But those excuses just make their lives more complicated.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Why can't they put everything in the earpiece slit? Make it a wider opening and put the FaceTime camera on one end, the earpiece in the middle, and the light sensor on the other end. Makes it look more streamlined.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Apple is going to have a hard time making low IQ people understand that 4.5-4.7" iPhone is the same size as the current iPhone 5S.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
I would never buy a device that large for taking calls. I want a phone, not a phablet. Apple would have to have really lost the plot to put out a phablet.

I fail to understand how anyone wants a phablet. Sure people have their excuses for wanting one. But those excuses just make their lives more complicated.

Some of us are "larger" people with bigger hands and fingers. Larger screen helps. Some of us like to consume games and media more than calls and texts. Larger screen helps. Some use maps a lot. Larger screen helps. Some people have limited/poor eyesight. Larger screen helps.

A larger screen would not make my life "more complicated" - in fact, a whole lot easier and more convenient without need to tote an iPad around as much.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
4.3-4.7 inch iPhone ####with 70%-ish screen to front panel size would be awesome , couple that with the rumored healthbook and iwatch and I may just run out of money ..

Please apple pleaseeee

Oh I don't know if anyone has read up on the new oppo but it charges 80% of it's 3000 mah battery in 30 minutes using some witchcraft , I am hoping apple uses this tech in their upcoming phones

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006

You're not the target market for this phone, keep using the 5 or 5s if you're a fan of that size. I'm sure they'll continue selling it.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012

A year ago I would be on board , but I bought a nexus 4 and the screen on it is amazing , such a nice media consumption tool , too bad android isn't such a bliss but larger screens are very nice so long as they don't get to 5.x"

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
If and when they make the iPhone bigger, I surmise it will cannibalize a small portion of iPad sales the same way the iPad cannibalized some of the MacBook sales.

I had to get an iPad mini Retina since the iPhone 5 is too small at times.

However, i hope it puts an end to the iPad/iPhone divide or forces developers to make Universal binaries only, or allows the larger iPhone to run iPad apps. The biggest problem is that when I bought my iPad, I purchased a lot of iPad-only apps, some of which are not even offered for the iPhone. At least with the iPhone apps, I could run them on my iPad, albeit in the 2X mode, but at least I can. Can't do that on the iPhone with iPad apps.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I wish they'd just make the screen a tad bit bigger without increasing the actual phone size like in this render I made for fun. (4.5" display, here, the phone hanging on the far left edge shows the bezel size of the current iPhone 5s)

Attachments

• composite1.jpg
    composite1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 241
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.