Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5s_touch_id-250x250.jpg
Apple may only launch one of two larger size iPhones this fall, according to UBS analyst Steve Milunovich. Barron's relays the research note, which is based on Milunovich's "checks" of the supply chain.

iPhone 6 rumors have repeatedly suggested that Apple is working on two new sizes for the iPhone. Predictions most commonly include 4.7" and 5.5" sizes, up from the current 4" screen of the iPhone 5S. Milunovich's report agrees that Apple is working on those same two models, but isn't sure both will launch:
... an "iPhone 6" is most likely to come in August or September, rather than June, in two different models, one with a 4.7-inch screen, one with a 5.5-inch screen. He thinks the former, the smaller of the two, "seems certain," but that the 5.5-inch model "may or may not launch at the same time and could be of the same resolution (lower pip), which would help app developers.
The analyst pegs the launch date for the next iPhone to be in August or September, but the release of the 5.5" model is less certain.

One additional detail he provides is that the 5.5" model may carry the same resolution as the 4.7" model. Not much has been said of the display resolution of these rumored large form factor iPhones. We haven't previously seen many reports from UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, so don't have much of a sense for his track record. iPhone 6 leaks will continue to accelerate as Apple gets closer to production.

Article Link: Only One of Two Larger iPhone 6 Models Likely, According to Analyst

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Yes and it's 4.7. Don't we already know it.
5.5 is a bait for samsung to launch their S6 in the larger size and fail.

Meanwhile, Analysts be like -

presentation.jpg

Last edited:

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
It would be nuts for Apple to release a 5"+ as their only iPhone 6. 4.7" is a reasonable choice.

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Analyst.... hmmm.... hmmmm.... hmmmm

oh, on a slightly unrelated note MR notifications are working again ...YaY

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Not sure it's the screen size that's making some people leave the phone..
Screen size for me is perfect, blocking 4G for my provider on the other hand..

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Analysts...

Why is it that EVERY SINGLE FRICKING YEAR, analysts always bring the June/July release rumor out when Apple has not strayed from it since they moved to September? Also, EVERY SINGLE FRICKING YEAR, analysts have to start spreading wild rumors about multiple screen sizes?

Will Apple go bigger for the iPhone 6? Most likely. Just leave it at that. Stop trying to make **** up about what the sizes will be.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Aww man! I hope this report isn't right; I'd like to see both sizes come out. I want the 5.5"!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Still find it hard to believe Apple will decrease the pixel density of the next iPhone. One screen size is easy to believe. I never thought they'd release two new sizes.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I think that with the multitude of resolutions that Apple will be supporting in the near future (3.5" retina on 4S, 4" retina on 5/5C/5S/Touch, retina ipad, multiple carplay resolutions, larger iphone), iOS is going to have to be more resolution independent. Call it fragmentation if you must, but it looks inevitable at this point. So what's one more resolution? The biggest knock against the iPhone at this point is the screen size, so why not preempt the whiners and just offer two sizes?

Last edited:

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Absolutely ridiculous! It's like holding an iPad mini up to your head lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 430
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.