Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hires Privacy Counsel to Oversee Protection of Customer Data

Apple has filled a position of privacy counsel with a lawyer experienced in customer privacy, data protection, electronic surveillance, information security and more. Sabrina Ross, a former associate at both Ropes & Gray and Sidley Austin, joined Apple this month according to her LinkedIn page (via AppleInsider).

Ross is a certified privacy professional, professing expertise in Internet and information law matters including privacy and data protection. As it moves more and more into online services including iCloud, Apple is increasingly concerned with privacy matters, including national surveillance by the NSA. Apple CEO Tim Cook told ABC News that Apple executives would need to be carted out "in a box" for the company to allow governments unfettered access to its servers.

Quote:
A certified privacy professional, CIPP/US, I have experience with a wide-range of Internet and information law matters involving privacy and data protection, online brand protection, electronic surveillance, defamation, information security, cloud computing, social media, locational privacy, e-commerce, and national security. I am passionate about addressing these issues with both business acumen and an eye towards litigation strategy.

My practice includes developing privacy compliance systems, creating privacy/data security training and policies, conducting risk analysis in the merger/acquisition context, and providing compliance counseling regarding the state/federal/international privacy law landscape.
Ross' CIPP/US certification is the first professional certification to be offered in the field of information privacy, covering the U.S. legal system including federal laws for protection of personal data, privacy marketing practices, state laws covering data breach notification and other privacy implications, as well as privacy in the workplace.

Article Link: Apple Hires Privacy Counsel to Oversee Protection of Customer Data
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:36 PM   #2
macnisse
macrumors 6502

"...Apple is increasingly concerned with privacy matters..."
So are many of us users too! ;-)
macnisse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:36 PM   #3
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

wow definitely a step in the right direction, thanks Apple.
luckydcxx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:37 PM   #4
TimWillz
macrumors member

Sounds good!
TimWillz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:55 PM   #5
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnisse View Post
"...Apple is increasingly concerned with privacy matters..."
So are many of us users too! ;-)
Um, the article is about protecting "Your privacy."
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:13 PM   #6
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I have difficulty digesting the term "certified privacy professional". Has our world really gotten so complex that we need such minutely specialized fields?
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:18 PM   #7
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Saying "to hire a privacy expert in these times is highly desirable", might be an understatement. Great news!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Take the Power Back - RATM
Z400Racer37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:47 PM   #9
spenceralger
macrumors newbie

I'm very happy to hear this news. I try to trust Apple, this makes it much easier
spenceralger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:23 PM   #10
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Apple is leading the market in this space. While Microsoft trawls through customer emails looking for evidence of product leaks, Apple is taking powerful steps such as this one to look after its valued consumers. And with more consumers waking up to the importance of privacy and data protection, they will vote with their dollars by buying only Apple devices and services.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:40 PM   #11
bluespark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I have difficulty digesting the term "certified privacy professional". Has our world really gotten so complex that we need such minutely specialized fields?
Privacy law is quite complex and it concerns nearly everything a company like Apple does. It's anything but "minutely specialized."

What's strange is that Mac Rumors deemed this newsworthy. Most large companies have in-house privacy lawyers. It wouldn't surprise me if she is joining an already well-established privacy law practice group at Apple.
bluespark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

I thought through this and could not come up with anything bad in this. In other words, good job Tim.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:25 PM   #13
Jacquesvw
macrumors regular

Apple Hires Privacy Counsel to Oversee Protection of Customer Data

Meanwhile Apple unlocked Oscar Pistorius' and Reeva Steenkamp's iPhones and iPads so that the South African police could gain access to messages sent to the each other as part of their investigation in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial.

I guess that's a legitimate reason for Apple to unlock the devices, but it also shows that they do have access to data that were supposibly encrypted. So far only Whatsapp messages were read in court yesterday, but I will be watching court proceedings closely if "encrypted" iMessges were recovered as well.

One thing is sure and that is that Whatsapp is not secure, I always knew that, thanks to the people on this forum, but clearly many South Africans were shocked how much personal data Apple extracted from the devices. 1706 Whatsapp messages among others.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...l-9121354.html

Last edited by Jacquesvw; Mar 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Jacquesvw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 02:47 AM   #14
ericcollins
macrumors newbie

Apple is increasingly concerned with privacy matters, including*national surveillance*by the NSA. Apple CEO Tim Cook told ABC News that Apple executives would need to be*carted out "in a box"*for the company to allow governments unfettered access to its servers.

newzealandtraveltours.net
ericcollins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion