Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 7 is now on 85% of devices connected to the App Store, according to new numbers posted on Apple's App Store developer support page. The numbers come five months after the operating system's original release, and just two weeks after the release iOS 7.1, which was the first major update to iOS 7 with added visual tweaks, CarPlay support, and Touch ID enhancements.

ios7adoptionrate_march.png
The increasing adoption rate of iOS 7 has also led to a drop in iOS 6 usage, with the older operating system now installed on just 12 percent of devices. Three percent of devices also continue to use even older versions of iOS. In early December, iOS 7 usage was at 74 percent, jumping to 78 percent later in December and then to 80 percent in late January.

Apple's data, which comes directly from the App Store, represents the most definite iOS 7 adoption information for developers.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Usage Numbers Suggest 85% Adoption Rate for iOS 7

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
If only apple didn't botch iOS 7.1 by snubbing battery life.

e7VVh9k.jpg

Staying on iOS 7.0.6 for the foreseeable future.

Still much better adoption rates than Android will ever see.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
It's not surprising considering any device capable of upgrading to ios7 has been warned of a major security flaw for not upgrading.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
If they didn't make it so hard to go back that number would be lower. I would be using iOS6 for sure.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Using 7.1 on multiple 5s' and not seeing odd battery drainage. Haven't really seen anything out of the ordinary since 6x.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Sad...

That MacRumors is so out of ideas they are publishing the weekly usage updates from the developer portal.

On the bright side, iOS 7 continues to be a hit with users- Apple's most. Popular OS ever made. Its success continues to define the critics, most of whom have never created anything in their lives.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
My good'ol iPad 1 is part of that 3% :D

And my 4S' battery life is so much better than it was on 7.0.6... That graph is bs.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
That MacRumors is so out of ideas they are publishing the weekly usage updates from the developer portal.

On the bright side, iOS 7 continues to be a hit with users- Apple's most. Popular OS ever made. Its success continues to define the critics, most of whom have never created anything in their lives.

It's called MacRumors not MacIdeas. And they just posted a couple of rumors earlier today pertaining to the iPhone.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
:confused: My battery life is the same with iOS 7.1

Anecdotally, mine seems to be worse... on an iPhone 5 that comes out just fine in that chart. (In any case the differences in that chart are too small to affect my behavior. But what I experience is a bigger drop: one I can notice without timing it.) However, it was also poor for about 3 days at a stretch, on two occasions with 7.0.6. Each time, it suddenly resolved itself. So it wouldn't surprise me if my battery life returns to iOS 6 levels again, or if it's a "sometimes" problem that just comes and goes. I do feel like there's SOMETHING up with battery life in the various versions of iOS 7; maybe not all the time, but I'm not surprised to hear people talk about it. Graphs like that don't move me, but if you know your usage/habits and discover that your meter is unexpectedly low, you notice.

Confirmation bias? Maybe—but I think it's probably a real issue. Luckily not severe enough to leave me drained to zero!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US

That chart doesn't scream "botched" to me, I don't know where you are getting that from. For 3 out of the 7 devices, the battery life is the same or even better, and even the worst one is only off 9%, which is probably still far longer than your average non-Apple tablet in terms of size/weight vs. battery life. On average the 7.1 vs. 7.0 battery life only looks a few % difference either way, that's hardly a disaster.

----------

It's not surprising considering any device capable of upgrading to ios7 has been warned of a major security flaw for not upgrading.

How are you coming to the conclusion that the SSL security flaw is responsible for iOS's high adoption rate? As noted in the article, iOS7 adoption was already 80% in late January, which was before the security flaw surfaced.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
That chart doesn't scream "botched" to me, I don't know where you are getting that from. For 3 out of the 7 devices, the battery life is the same or even better, and even the worst one is only off 9%, which is probably still far longer than your average non-Apple tablet in terms of size/weight vs. battery life. On average the 7.1 vs. 7.0 battery life only looks a few % difference either way, that's hardly a disaster.

10% battery loss on my iPad Mini is a disaster. It seems other devices went unscathed, battery life should be front and center for a mobile device and remain an inclusive priority for their line-up. If you've been paying attention to news coverage around the web on iOS 7.1 (even MacRumors covered it) it's apparent that battery life is still a problem for a number of users. Also look at the watermark, that's Ars Technica.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/14/are-y...battery-life-since-upgrading-to-ios-7-1-poll/
http://www.imore.com/ios-71-battery-life-same-or-worse-say-imore-readers

7.0.6 is where I'm staying until this is polished, as it should have been. Not even touching on how the kernel has actually been made less secure.

Last edited:

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013

really you are gonna stay on 7.0.6 for a total of an extra 20 minutes of battery life that some chart tells you about? you are missing out on a very nice update.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Ahh... iOS7. The only time apple ever served up a bowl of steaming poo and called it ambrosia.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Weird my battery life on my Mini is actually improved, also it used to hang when it had to clear out it's limited memory space or when it switched from one game to another now it just doesn't hang anymore like it used to. Maybe I had a botched iOS 7.0 ;).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not at all surprised here. Basically everyone who isn't purposely staying on 6.x has made the jump, and for good reason.

As far as the android comparisons, I'm not sure I understand them. There are still handsets launching on versions as old as jellybean. These are the budget versions that retail for $25-100 per handset. The goal with those devices isn't to be up to date. It's to get an extremely affordable handset to the masses that need it. It's a completely different marketing structure than what Apple has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.