Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakubp12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
My girlfriends 2010 Macbook Air (Core 2 Duo one with 320m) had its sound completely stop working.

The volume controls are greyed out and there is nothing listed under output devices. I tried resetting the PRAM, SMC, and even updated it to mavericks and no luck. This happened one time before and resetting the PRAM fixed the problem. It doesn't matter if headphones are plugged in or not, the volume control is always grey, and when I try to change it via the keyboard, a greyed out speaker icon just pops up.

Any idea?

Its out of warranty, so taking it to apple would end up costing the $300ish flat rate repair fee. I just want to see if theres anything I can try before ending up having to pay that cost.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
btw the flate rate fee is $700 usd +/- ;)
Go into system information and look at the audio, does it show the 320 nvidia?
If not, the only times i have seen this is due to liquid damage.
Other audio output options IF this is the case and the cost is to high to repair would be air play and via bluetooth as there is no need for the chip to do digital to analog conversion.
There are other options to have the logic board repaired at component level that will be far less than the Apple charge.

jakubp12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
btw the flate rate fee is $700 usd +/- ;)
Go into system information and look at the audio, does it show the 320 nvidia?
If not, the only times i have seen this is due to liquid damage.
Other audio output options IF this is the case and the cost is to high to repair would be air play and via bluetooth as there is no need for the chip to do digital to analog conversion.
There are other options to have the logic board repaired at component level that will be far less than the Apple charge.

Actually, its $289 plus tax. She had her logic board and battery replaced back in November since the computer stopped working out of nowhere. Thankfully she bought the computer with her discover card which covered the cost of the flat rate repair.

No Liquid Damage on the computer. She doesn't even take it out of her room lol. I will take a look today to see if the 320m is showing up. Im also going to attempt to reinstall OSX to see if that changes anything. This happened once before to her, but a PRAM/SMC reset fixed the issue. No such luck this time.

chuxdaddy

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
las vegas
I am having the same issue with a used 2009 Macbook I bought. As a work around I plug in a set of usb headphones, the the volume icon went from grey to black. Since it is a used computer and I do not want to invest money to fix, I am buying some usb speakers as a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.