Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Actually, it's quite easy to type a text one-handed on a Note.

There's a one-handed mode that puts a smaller keyboard near to one side.
Good to know, because I almost wondered how you could reach the far left end of an 8 cm-wide phone when your thumb only extends to 6cm.

I think you think it's bigger than it really is. It's only about the width of a 3x5 note card, it's thin, and has a faux leather back that helps with palm grip.
Admittedly, I was always intimidated by its size, and actually repulsed by its use of the Mac-incompatible (¿?) Android OS. But I never paid much attention to its finish, assuming that all Android were cheap plastic.

However, personally I would never put a phone in my back pocket. That's just asking for all sorts of trouble.
When walking that's the finest and least aggressive place I could find for the 3GS, with its rounded back, right next to my bus & metro pass card. Front pockets are already filled with keys, coins, and a somewhat bulky wallet. In winter I do have more pockets, including some large enough for a larger phablet (I assume).

Large means larger battery, plus the Note has some unique hardware to save juice.

Seriously, the reason the Note is so popular is because it packs a lot into a tidy, thin, light space.

Cheers!
So does the iPhone, right? As I remember, the 3GS is actually underclocked by 25% to save juice, but still burns juice like an old-time V8. Sure the Note is thin, and with such a large size and plastic build, is it really sturdy?

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
So does the iPhone, right? As I remember, the 3GS is actually underclocked by 25% to save juice, but still burns juice like an old-time V8. Sure the Note is thin, and with such a large size and plastic build, is it really sturdy?

Its amazing how the tiny iPhone 5 ;) with its small batter can get you compared to the 5.5+ phablets on offer around the world with giant batteries..

2j0i0y8.jpg
[/IMG]

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Remember what Tim said

Paraphrasing: " we won't bring out a bigger screen until we are satisfied with the display". With the advances in display technology with quantum dot and IGZO, with an improved A8 SOC chip, we are at the point where Apple is ready to bring out the bigger screened Iphone. Of course Tim would like to have the phone ready for a summer release, but it won't be possible. The hook for this phone will be the "sapphire" display. There is simply not enough time and capacity to manufacture what will be needed for an unprecedented demand for the next Iphone. We will be lucky to get it in September. But when it comes out it will be really, really good. Try to be patient and don't buy a Galaxy S5 or the new HTC one, even though they look pretty good.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Its amazing how the tiny iPhone 5 ;) with its small batter can get you compared to the 5.5+ phablets on offer around the world with giant batteries..

url]
That's a fact the 3GS doesn't reach such a battery life browsing the web.

Yeah if all anyone did was web browsing otherwise the iPhone sucks in comparison.
Huh, no. Although far from perfection, it is still the most secure and compatible smartphone out there. Every major or breakthrough application happens on the iPhone first.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

url]

Yeah. Then again, what's the point of having good battery when the phone behaves like a dead brick once the screen goes off.

If I make my note3 behaves like 5s does when the screen turned off then it will last much much longer than 5s.

tr00don

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
A larger screen iPhone is what I would like to own. The current models are too small for an adult man to easily tap at the virtual keyboard. Besides, playing through 3D games on an iPhone is difficult, to say the least. I think we should all speak for ourselves and acknowledge that Apple have found a market for larger iPhones.

k1cotk

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Everything is bigger in Texas

If this is true, I may have to hang on to my iPhone 5S for an extra year, and hope that sanity returns by the iPhone 7. If you want a large screen, for the love of Mike, get an iPad.

And no, I'm not saying Apple shouldn't produce larger screened phones for the no taste people out there, but please keep making a 4" phone with the top of the line components every year.

Do any women work at Apple? Have you tried putting a 5" phone in the pocket of women's designer jeans? The current one can barely, barely fit. The 3.5 model was much better. That's half your customer base right there!!!

Please, Apple, step back from the cliff before it is too late!

I, for one, having large hands (I can palm most tablets out today) am glad to see Apple moving in the direction of having a multiple choice solution. I would like to see Apple have a device for the petite users whose dainty fingers work perfectly on smaller screens while I would have an option to end my "fat finger" issues with such small devices. Also I like to believe that I have good taste, I am just miniaturizationally challenged...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

url]

True, I don't know about the Note 3 but the Note 2 I own has about a day and a half worth of battery under normal load.

I could get that with my 3GS just fine, but when I take note (pun not intended) of how long I leave my antennas, screen, etc on and how often I pull it out of my pocket I get amazed.

It's also not a bad music player with Google Play Music syncing my iTunes library.

Yeah. Then again, what's the point of having good battery when the phone behaves like a dead brick once the screen goes off.

If I make my note3 behaves like 5s does when the screen turned off then it will last much much longer than 5s.

Do you mean the Note or the iPhone is a dead brick?

Both seem to wake up and sleep and beep and buzz uncontrollably if left unchecked and un-customized. My wife's iPhone 4s however, doesn't turn off when she gets an alert. The screen just stays on and eats battery. Why that is even a setting is beyond me.

negsrus

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Death of Jobs is death of Apple

Apple is so stupid sometimes it's beyond belief. What's the difference between 330 and 460 ppi? Can anyone tell? Does anyone care? How about just stick with 330 or whatever and give us more battery life. Make the damn thing durable. God ****en damn it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.