Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you rather

• Open your iPad cover in reverse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ben911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Maine
Hi,

We are having an argument about this at work.

If you had to choose... would pick A or B

A) Open your tablet case in reverse
think opening a book when looking at the back cover

B) Open your case normally but your iPad is upside down
home button is at the top

Please post a quick reply. It will really help me a lot!

Thanks!!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Don't understand the question. Why is it "normal" to open the iPad case with the home button at the top? To me, it feels more normal to open it with the home button at the bottom. Isn't that how books open? At least, the ones in English? Unless you have a cover that is the other way around, in which case I'd say that cover is badly designed.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've got the Otterbox and open it any which way I choose... A friend had the Apple 'book' cover and their iPad fell two feet to a tile floor and now the entire top quarter is cracked. Otterbox was probably the best purchase I've ever made. IMO.

ben911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Maine
Don't understand the question. Why is it "normal" to open the iPad case with the home button at the top? To me, it feels more normal to open it with the home button at the bottom. Isn't that how books open? At least, the ones in English? Unless you have a cover that is the other way around, in which case I'd say that cover is badly designed.

But if you had no choice. You were being forced to buy one of two covers. One opened like every other cover but the ipad is installed upside down. The other option is the ipad is right side up but the cover opens in reverse.

The iPad screen flips so you can use it upside down.

Basically which is less annoying to you? Having an upside down ipad or a cover that opens in reverse?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Uh, at least with my case (Devicewear Ridge) you don't really have a choice. If I open the iPad case from left to right that automatically positions the iPad home button at the top. I'm not left handed so it's too awkward for me to open the case in that fashion. Had this been a universal case that can hold the iPad in any position then I would be perfectly fine with the home button up top....but then again, the volume buttons would be in a weird place. It really doesn't matter.

OP are you bored at work and don't have enough to do? Let me talk to your boss. :D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But if you had no choice. You were being forced to buy one of two covers. One opened like every other cover but the ipad is installed upside down. The other option is the ipad is right side up but the cover opens in reverse.

The iPad screen flips so you can use it upside down.

Basically which is less annoying to you? Having an upside down ipad or a cover that opens in reverse?

Hmmmm, but one problem is that in either of those scenarios, the cover wouldn't function as a smart cover. So again, my answer is that I wouldn't buy a cover like that. And I do think you are describing a single cover, the question being whether you will hold that cover with the home button at the top or bottom.

ben911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Maine
?

Thanks for all the replies.... however, talking about other cases or trying to analyze the question does not help me.

Only one person replied with a clear answer so far.

If someone was willing to give you a magic ipad case that spit out $10 bills every time you opened it... but it either opened backwards or if it opened normally then the ipad would be upside down. Which would you choose?

Would you open your case normally and have an upside down ipad?

Or would you open it in reverse (from left to right) and have a right-side up ipad?

We are going to engrave your name on the front before giving it to you so you have to pick one and live with it forever. (there is always a catch when it comes to free magic ipad covers)

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
We are going to engrave your name on the front before giving it to you so you have to pick one and live with it forever. (there is always a catch when it comes to free magic ipad covers)

How would engraving make me use it forever? I couldn't sell it I suppose, but I could take it off of my iPad.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Hi,

We are having an argument about this at work.

If you had to choose... would pick A or B

A) Open your tablet case in reverse
think opening a book when looking at the back cover

B) Open your case normally but your iPad is upside down
home button is at the top

Please post a quick reply. It will really help me a lot!

Thanks!!
what if you don't have a case?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for all the replies.... however, talking about other cases or trying to analyze the question does not help me.

Only one person replied with a clear answer so far.

If someone was willing to give you a magic ipad case that spit out $10 bills every time you opened it... but it either opened backwards or if it opened normally then the ipad would be upside down. Which would you choose?

Would you open your case normally and have an upside down ipad?

Or would you open it in reverse (from left to right) and have a right-side up ipad?

How did this argument get started in the first place, anyway?

I don't think I can say for sure which way I'll open such a cover. I'd have to use one before I could say which way felt more right (or less wrong).

ben911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Maine
what if you don't have a case?

Not owning a case will not prevent you from getting your free magic money dispensing case! All you need to do is pick how we engrave your name on the front... A or B? The magic doesn't work without the engraving.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Not owning a case will not prevent you from getting your free magic money dispensing case! All you need to do is pick how we engrave your name on the front... A or B? The magic doesn't work without the engraving.

Okay, playing along, for the purposes of engraving, I'd have it engraved to look like a normal book. Doesn't mean I'd hold it that way -- if I find that holding it the other way works better, I'd happily hold it with the engraving upside down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.