Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKevin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Hi,

First I have to let you know that I barely have any idea how Mac OS works.
I've had this 13.3" MBP for about 6 months now and have almost always ran Windows 7 on it without any issues using BootCamp.

NB: last thing I did was simply close the laptop when I woke up (fell asleep around twenty minutes into Frozen, the latest disney) and nothing else.

I got home this evening and when I finally opened the MBP up it was on the Mac log in screen so I shut it down and rebooted so it would go straight to Windows as it usually does. But nope. It went straight to Mac OS X again. I can't even see the windows (BootCamp) partition anymore. I was able to locate the Disk Manager under Mac but since I don't know how it works or maybe it doesn't even work at all right now that's been of no use. All I could do was get "disk0s3"'s information to show up and it says it's not mounted. It's also greyed out.

I really hope I won't have to do a fresh install since this computer was given to me by my boss when he got a new laptop. I'm an IT technician so I should, in theory, be able to comprehend most of what you'll say, although I don't quite know my way around Mac OS X, and follow the steps you'll give me.

Based on the little information I am able to give you, can anybody help me tongue.gif ?

Thanks in advance.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Hi,

First I have to let you know that I barely have any idea how Mac OS works.
I've had this 13.3" MBP for about 6 months now and have almost always ran Windows 7 on it without any issues using BootCamp.

NB: last thing I did was simply close the laptop when I woke up (fell asleep around twenty minutes into Frozen, the latest disney) and nothing else.

I got home this evening and when I finally opened the MBP up it was on the Mac log in screen so I shut it down and rebooted so it would go straight to Windows as it usually does. But nope. It went straight to Mac OS X again. I can't even see the windows (BootCamp) partition anymore. I was able to locate the Disk Manager under Mac but since I don't know how it works or maybe it doesn't even work at all right now that's been of no use. All I could do was get "disk0s3"'s information to show up and it says it's not mounted. It's also greyed out.

I really hope I won't have to do a fresh install since this computer was given to me by my boss when he got a new laptop. I'm an IT technician so I should, in theory, be able to comprehend most of what you'll say, although I don't quite know my way around Mac OS X, and follow the steps you'll give me.

Based on the little information I am able to give you, can anybody help me tongue.gif ?

Thanks in advance.

It's not unusual that the windows partition would be hidden when on the Mac side.
But if you go into system preferences and select the 'startup disk' icon, you should be able to see it there. Highlight it and reboot and it should restart in windows.
Another option is to just Restart the Mac and hold down then option key throughout the restart process.
That will take you to a screen that shows you which partition you can boot from.
There should be your main Mac partition, the windows partition, and perhaps a recovery partition.
If the windows partition isn't there, then you may be out of luck.
If it is there,
Use the left/right arrow keys to highlight the windows partition, then hit return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.