Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
What's the point in matching the more powerful graphics needed to drive a retina display with a sub 2Ghz dual core CPU, a pitiful amount of soldered RAM and a tiny SSD?
Because that's all we need. Open up Activity Monitor and tell us how much of your CPU is idling. I bet it's over 95%.

keterboy

Jan 22, 2014
Earth's Core
Bezel being the piece of aluminum around the display/screen correct ?

You have a bezel around the 15" rMBP just that its the non functioning part of the display or screen itself.

Not arguing but what difference does it make if it's the aluminum or dark glass?

As for battery life the MBA I have is doing awesome on battery life, just my opinion

The bezel on the air is almost twice as big compared to the mbpr. Plus the glossy black kinda helps it disappear for the eye, the silver bezel on the air tho is to me personally a factor not to buy that thing. In addition to that, apple bought a company (forgot the name) which specializes in edge to edge screen, which i really hope apple will adopt in their future products (at least with a minimal bezel like in the latest iphone mockups).

:rolleyes:

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Note that the rumored display resolution of 2304x1440 is 4x of 1152x720. That's significantly below both the 1366x768 native resolution of the 11" MacBook Air and the 1440x900 native resolution of the 13" MacBook Air. It's even below the 1280x800 native resolution of the original MacBook Air.
Except that it is 4x of that. With 1440p it's a 27-inch iMac to go. The rest is scaling.

Makes sence that they would but I think it will hurt MacBook Pro sales a lot.
Only if it's cheaper. :D

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Am I the only one concerned with this thing potentially having no fan? I know that computing has come a long way, and the iPads don't have one, but then, they aren't performing processed-heavy functions like rendering video from mkv to mp4 for hours. I worry the thing will overheat in a big way.

Although I have to admit, if this happens, it would be the writing machine of my dreams. I might just skip out on upgrading the iMac for this machine and use it for everything but workhorse tasks and photo processing.

keterboy

Jan 22, 2014
Earth's Core
I dont know about you guys, but I've been using my mom's new iMac a couple times lately which is obviously not retina. And being used to retina on my MPBR and iPhone and iPad Air, my eyes start to hurt when working with non-retina after about 5min.

When I bought the updated high-end MBPR 13inch earlier this year I was comparing it to the Air but ultimately decided for the retina display because of this.

Non-Retina products should be history, and I really really hope that the standard will be 300+ PPI and not 224 or something...

racingbull

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
End of the year? Okay, so the new iphone is EOY. The rumored iWatch & possibly Apple Television it at EOY.

Um...does Apple plan to release anything in the first half of the year??

That's an awfully long gap for any new products or updates. If they aren't gonna update the MacBook airs or pros, Hopefully they'll update the iMacs & Mac mini this spring at least. Something.

Considering that Apple has the advantage that its user base accepts also incremental changes, I really wonder why they cram in everything at the end of the year; the different product launches get overshadowed, the products less media exposure, cash-flow takes it chances, logistics are tougher to handle... dunno... what's going on??

perhaps I'm just ranting because I'm in business for a new MBA or MBP.

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Pixel density.

For those of you who are wondering about pixel density, it comes out to about the same as the current rMBP: around 220 ppi.

This is less than than the retina iPhones at 326 ppi, but presumably those live closer to your face.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Although I think this will be nice, I am really finding that I can live without a laptop at this point. If they can improve the ipad to provide multi tasking (multiple windows) and an integrated keyboard cover, I would have no need for a laptop.

My wife loves her Mac air and I have yet to convert her to an ipad, but I truly believe we are either 1 or 2 generations away from the ipad being a true laptop killer. I still keep my iMac to do the heavy lifting and as a storage device, but I find myself using the ipad 90 percent of the time.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I wonder what will happen to the 13" MBA and rMBP. At this point there's almost no difference between the two, and if the MBA goes retina then they will be virtually identical.

Seriously?

13" Air vs. 13" rPro
1.3GHz i5 vs. 2.4GHz i5
Intel HD Graphics 5000 vs. Intel Iris Graphics
Thunderbolt x1 vs. Thunderbolt 2 x2
No HDMI vs. Has HDMI
12hr Battery vs. 9hr Battery

Cole Carrera

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
You can bet it will immediately make the old one look dated.

The obnoxious bezel will undoubtably go down. The reason for the bezel on the current one, I believe, is to make the whole computer wider, so that it can be thinner.

I wonder if it will keep the plastic screen, which I like. I'm kind of guessing no if it likely uses that special screen process like the Pro which has two layers versus three or something. I don't know!

Seriously?

13" Air vs. 13" rPro
1.3GHz i5 vs. 2.4GHz i5
Intel HD Graphics 5000 vs. Intel Iris Graphics
Thunderbolt x1 vs. Thunderbolt 2 x2
No HDMI vs. Has HDMI
12hr Battery vs. 9hr Battery

Don't forget, even basic-ass Wintels have HDMI out. It is a differentiator here. And the clock speed is not so different. And 5000 and Iris aren't so different. And won't it have thunderbolt 2 too?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
End of the year? Okay, so the new iphone is EOY. The rumored iWatch & possibly Apple Television it at EOY.

Um...does Apple plan to release anything in the first half of the year??

That's an awfully long gap for any new products or updates. If they aren't gonna update the MacBook airs or pros, Hopefully they'll update the iMacs & Mac mini this spring at least. Something.

Don't they usually do their basic hardware upgrades mid-year as you say? I'm sure the Mac Mini and iMac will both get some love this summer with minimal fanfare as per usual.

But I don't get why people expect a steady stream of new from Apple all year long. Honestly, it just makes a lot of sense to drop big bombs of NEW right before the holiday season. That's when folks are itching to spend their cash and feel justified doing so. The people who impulse buy all year-long don't need something new to justify, they're already going to splurge.

Apple continues to actively align themselves with the Christmas season and I think it's brilliant.

Philotech

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Retina screen means big battery means a retina 13" MacBook Air would be hardly distinguishable from a Retina 13" MacBook Pro. I'd be more inclined to believe that the rumored 12" MacBook is the supposed "Retina MacBook Air."

Note that the rumored display resolution of 2304x1440 is 4x of 1152x720. That's significantly below both the 1366x768 native resolution of the 11" MacBook Air and the 1440x900 native resolution of the 13" MacBook Air. It's even below the 1280x800 native resolution of the original MacBook Air.

It would make sense for Apple to drop the total number of (4x) pixels in this way so that it can still get by with a relatively smaller battery compared to the Retina 13" MacBook Pro, keeping it slim and light to justify the "Air" moniker.
Pretty much what I was going to point out. The x1440 would really make it a no-go for me as this is essentially just x720, so even less than in the current 11" Air (768). And even that's too small these days. For any kind of non-movie-watching purposes, I'm in general not convinced that 16:10 or even 16:9 screens are a good idea...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.