Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Does anyone know if Puma had OS 9 Classic support on the same CD as Puma? Or would it have to be installed on the same partition as OS X from another OS 9 CD in order to use the Classic environment? I ask because the Mac OS 10.1 Puma software I have does not include the OS 9 CD (I'm guessing it was lost, although the side of the box states that it originally came with it), so I want to know if when I install Puma, classic mode is also installed, or does classic come on another CD?

EDIT: Found this in the "Welcome to Mac OS X" guide, "To use Classic you must have Mac OS 9.1 or later installed. If you have an earlier version, use the Mac OS 9.2 CD included with Mac OS X to upgrade."
That answers most of my question, if I understand, you must have OS 9 on the same partition os OS X in order to use the Classic environment. I'm assuming that OS 9 is not included on the same CD as OS X, unfortunately.

EDIT2: By looking around, I have discovered that the Mac OS 10.1 iso is around 600 MB, whereas Mac OS 9 is around 500 MB. 1100 MB will not fit on a 700 MB CD, so I think I will have to grab a OS 9 CD.
But, my Mac OS 10.4 Tiger DVD (2) has a Classic system folder on it as well as Classic apps, would there be a way to install it from within Puma? Or possibly extract it with Pacifist and put it in the Puma partition? Would this work out?

Last edited:

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
You'd need to install Mac OS 9 first, before installing 10 of any version. Mac OS will not allow you to install an older version on the same drive as a currently installed newer version. I wouldn't fool around trying to install Mac OS 9 using something like Pacifist. I really don't think it would work.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
You'd need to install Mac OS 9 first, before installing 10 of any version. Mac OS will not allow you to install an older version on the same drive as a currently installed newer version. I wouldn't fool around trying to install Mac OS 9 using something like Pacifist. I really don't think it would work.

From what I understand, If you install Classic support, it fully installs Mac OS 9.2.2 on your hard drive (including the "System" and "Applications" folder), and then installs the "Classic.prefpane" to launch the OS 9 environment from your HD, to emulate applications without having to physically reboot and choose OS 9. This was also the best option since iBook G4s cannot boot into OS 9, just 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger, and 10.5 Leopard. So theoretically if I installed Mac OS 9 from within Puma (or any other OS that supports classic), than I would be able to boot from it on my hard drive, as long as my system was supported by OS 9, as the System folder would exist on my boot partition. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what the manual sounds like it's saying.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Just me being honest here, but if all you have is a 10.1 CD, it would probably be easier to keep it as a Classic (OS 9) machine. You can use a ton of abandonware apps and even do things online with Classilla.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So I can't find anything on the web about Classic installing a bootable image of OS 9. Does anyone know if when you install Classic Support, the CD also installs Mac OS 9 as a bootable image on the same partition as OS X? I know it installs the system folder and applications folder for OS 9, but can you, for instance, on a supported model like a G3, boot into OS 9 natively using the Classic support boot folders? Hope I didn't make that to hard to follow. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.