Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sonnet Announces Mac Pro 4U Rackmount Enclosure and Expansion Chassis

Sonnet has announced a 4U rackmount enclosure and expansion chassis for the new Mac Pro, allowing users to horizontally mount their Mac Pro in a standard data center rack with PCIe expansion capabilities.

The xMac Pro Server includes three PCIe single-width expansion slots, with room for one double-width and one single-width card, Thunderbolt 2 compatibility, and a mounting kit for additional storage or optical drives. On the back, the rack includes three USB 3.0 ports, two Gigabit Ethernet ports, and an HDMI port, with a single USB 3.0 port on the front. It includes a 300W power supply and a 75W PCIe power connector for supplemental power to certain power-hungry PCIe cards.

Quote:
The new Mac Pro has become the object of desire, but a lustrous finish hides its true beauty--the massive power within. If you're a pro user in the video or audio industries, the Mac Pro offers the power you need, but lacks the built-in expandability you count on. In order to achieve this engineering feat, Apple® designers stripped away components and space to a minimum, taking out PCIe slots and drive bays, and packed the remaining components into a small cylinder. Its compact size makes the new Mac Pro more transportable and rackable, but prevents onboard installation of PCIe expansion cards. In addition, the computer still requires an enclosure to make it road- or rack-ready and provide convenient cable management. Sonnet's xMac Pro Server PCIe expansion system/4U rackmount enclosure addresses these issues and increases a Mac Pro's potential in a big way.
Sonnet claims the xMac Pro Server will ship in early June, offering a sign-up sheet for interested customers on its website. It has a suggested price of $1,499.

The company announced Thunderbolt docking stations nearly a year ago but has delayed shipment several times.

Update 12:35PM 3/27/2014: Pricing information added.

Article Link: Sonnet Announces Mac Pro 4U Rackmount Enclosure and Expansion Chassis
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:02 PM   #2
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Can't wait to see this in 2018!
larrylaffer is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:06 PM   #3
KindredMAC
macrumors 6502a

Great design! Can't wait to see one with two MacPros interconnected in the same enclosure some day.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Squirrel
macrumors newbie

Really Sonnet? Were customers really asking for this?
Squirrel is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:06 PM   #5
pragmatous
macrumors 65816

or just buy a real server. it would be cheaper.
pragmatous is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Squirrel
macrumors newbie

Sonnet, How about shipping the Echo 15 Thunderbolt Dock that you announced a year ago.
Squirrel is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Frazzle
macrumors regular

But did they have to make it this ugly? Really, what a shame.
Frazzle is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:09 PM   #8
bernuli
macrumors regular

Ok! Now I am getting a nMP!
bernuli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:10 PM   #9
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Looks like you could install it as the world's most confusing car stereo.
AngerDanger is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:10 PM   #10
kwikdeth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylaffer View Post
Can't wait to see this in 2018!
is that the arrival date or the price, or both?

their existing 3-slot rack unit is 1200. Im guessing this will be 2k, easy.
kwikdeth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:11 PM   #11
sigmadog
macrumors 6502

Can't help but wonder what effect the horizontal configuration of the nMP will have on thermal control. It seems to me optimal cooling comes in the vertical position. I wonder if buyers of this rack will have heating issues.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:13 PM   #12
benguild
macrumors 6502a

This seems stupid. Why not just have multiple Mac Minis in a single 1 or 2U enclosure?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:13 PM   #13
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzle View Post
Yes... there is something called INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER who are dude with great ideas to build things... in a more sophisticated manner.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:13 PM   #14
kwikdeth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
Can't help but wonder what effect the horizontal configuration of the nMP will have on thermal control. It seems to me optimal cooling comes in the vertical position. I wonder if buyers of this rack will have heating issues.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6099
kwikdeth is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:13 PM   #15
rrm74001
macrumors regular

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.
rrm74001 is offline   63 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:13 PM   #16
robot prom
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Really Sonnet? Were customers really asking for this?
Yes.
robot prom is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:15 PM   #17
SandboxGeneral

That's a pretty cool and useful idea!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzle View Post
Ugly?!? What are you talking about? Who cares, it's rack mounted!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:18 PM   #19
kwikdeth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
there are plenty of rack-mount cases out there that gave more than 15 minutes consideration to appearance. the discontinued X-Serve line is one of them. At the DC i used to work at, people would regularly ask "wow, what hardware is that?" when passing the one rack full of x-serves.

iStar, whilst not having the best quality reputation for their power supplies, makes a whole series of designer rackmount cases for workstations and recording studio use.
kwikdeth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:21 PM   #20
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Maybe I'm just a dork, but I used to love hanging out in the server closet with my xServes. Sooooo pretty!
FrizzleFryBen is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:23 PM   #21
czeano
macrumors newbie

Hope the production one has rails. Having more than one of those in a rack with just ears on the front would be a royal pain.

Also, all the mac mini versions of these things are as expensive as a whole other server. Even if you're committed to OSX, it's a hard pill to swallow. I expect this model will be comparably ridiculous.

It also kinda needs a video port on the front for when you have to roll out the crash cart. USB alone won't cut it.
czeano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:24 PM   #22
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Why is everyone moaning about the design? This is a rack mount enclosure. It's meant to go in a rack like this:

Thumb resize.

Server racks aren't things people have on display - they are space preservative mounts to house multiple devices stacked. This Mac Pro rack mount will be very useful for studios.
Kilamite is online now   29 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:24 PM   #23
Frazzle
macrumors regular

Quote:
But, but, there's no pretty lights on it! No greenish or blueish display, nothing! Especially in the music business, I've seen things in racks that actually look nice and/or impressive. At least give it a 4mm thick aluminum fascia with some class.

Nice challenge for the people who regularly mock up stuff on here?

Anyway, it's good to see that the guy who designed the original IBM PC still gets the odd job.
Frazzle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:25 PM   #24
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Darn it, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for but gave up hope and grabbed a Promise Pegasus2 R4 via B&H. I wonder if I could return/exchange it? The optical drive capability is perfect, I still need a Blu-Ray burner for work projects and the USB external drive pales in comparison to the LG SATA optical burner w/ Lightscribe.

Worst case, are there Thunderbolt containers for internal SATA Blu-Ray drives?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:26 PM   #25
Mr-Stabby
macrumors 6502

You have to love and respect Sonnet. No matter how much Apple redesign their computers to make them as un-rackmount friendly as possible, Sonnet always come back a few months later with a big middle finger to Apple by SOMEHOW making them rackmountable. Kudos We're still running XServes happily in our media centre, and one day we may just be looking at some of these
Mr-Stabby is offline   14 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion