Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to launch "as early as September", according to a new report from Japanese business newspaper Nikkei. The paper claims that the device is "expected" to be called the iPhone 6 and is "likely" to be offered in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display sizes, in line with circulating rumors.
Manufacturers have apparently begun making such components as fingerprint sensors and chips for liquid-crystal drivers.

Mass production of LCD panels will start as early as the April-June quarter at Sharp's Kameyama factory, Japan Display's Mobara plant, and at other facilities, according to sources. LG Electronics will supply panels as well. The new handset's display resolution is expected to be significantly higher than that of current models.
iphone6-sizes-800x636.jpg
Earlier this week, UBS analyst Steve Milunovich claimed that the 4.7-inch version might be the only model to launch later this year, with a timeframe for the larger 5.5-inch version unclear.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Reportedly Launching 'As Early As September' in 4.7- and 5.5-Inch Sizes

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
ok. here it is.

Attachments

• give-that-man-a-medal-obama_facebook_photo_comment.jpg
    give-that-man-a-medal-obama_facebook_photo_comment.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 8,629

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Really, another iPhone in september?!?!? Who would have believed it, these guys should get paid the mega bucks for predicting this stuff, I mean, seriously, wow, no way could any average joe have predicted this.... its.. mind-blowing.

:rolleyes:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple will NEVER launch a 5inch or bigger smartphone. That would be far too big to deliver the experience Apple wants to give its customers. Anyone expecting this is going to be disappointed when iPhone 6 launches to the world.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Maybe it was actually launched in September 2013 but all we just missed it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So an analyst regurgitates existing rumours as their own prediction and hey presto they too are now part of the news rumour mill that will later be regurgitated once more by another analyst and the cycle continues.

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
I heard something similar

Here's what I heard... "The iPhone 6 could launch as early as September purple monkey dishwasher."

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Time for Retina+ to be introduced.

It's been 4 years since Retina was introduced so it's definitely time for a higher resolution.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
I'd take the 5.5" model.
I rarely make actual phone calls with my phone and my pants have no problems holding 12" so 5.5 ain't a problem.

Gimme dat screen.

D.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
A larger iPhone doesn't appeal to me, but I may be in the minority.

I like a phone that fits in my pocket, but I can see the appeal to those who want one device that does it all, and is used as much a computer as a phone.

Does anyone think there is a market for a combo iPad/iPhone? How big is too big?

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
There is nothing in this article to suggest new information. It's a regurgitation of older rumors. Not sure this should even be on the front page…maybe the blog page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.