Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Strange, the G3 would suggest that this was happening in the early 2000s but then the iPhone prototype hooked up to the machine looks a heck of a lot like an iPhone 4. So maybe Apple has the iPhone 8 in the works right now?

Probably was to simulate the weak processor the iPhone would have.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
From the article:

"This is a system Apple rigged together to run early prototypes of its iPhone software in 2006. It tethered a plastic touch-screen device – code-named “Wallaby” – to an outdated Mac to simulate the slower speeds of a phone hardware."

Obviously it's not an iPhone4. It's a test device for the development of the iPhone touch screen.

Also, I had the same Harmon-Kardon soundsticks and subwoofer that I bought with a Quicksilver G4.

I still have my B&W G3 that I put a G4/500 cpu into. It's still running OS 9.2.2 with some orphaned PCI cards in it.

Renzatic

Suspended

Are they pretty decent? I was thinking about getting the Bluetooth wireless set, but I hung back at the last second because I hadn't heard anything about how good they sound.

----------

Right... so why do I see an iphone 4 on the table then? :)

Strange, the G3 would suggest that this was happening in the early 2000s but then the iPhone prototype hooked up to the machine looks a heck of a lot like an iPhone 4.

That's because the first iPhone prototype looked a lot more like the 4 than what they ended up first releasing.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Harmon Kardon SoundSticks, I'd say.

I started looking for a replacement for mine. Nothing sounds better. Still using them.

----------

Are they pretty decent? I was thinking about getting the Bluetooth wireless set, but I hung back at the last second because I hadn't heard anything about how good they sound.
----------

They are very good. It kind of bothers me that they seem to produce better sound detail than my living room speakers.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
The 'purple' prototype from 2005 looks like a white iPhone 4. Not sure if that was ever built into a physical prototype. But from all the books I've read, Steve didn't allow the software guys to see the hardware design and vice versa. Allegedly Ive secretly had two software guys mock something up for his team. He was the only one on his team who was allowed to know what the software UI looked like.

Ah yes, thats the one I was thinking of!
Knew I'd seen it somewhere. Thanks for that!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

I loved mine! They finally stopped working recently but they lasted over 10 years! I had the USB model. The subwoofer, when placed properly, made a big difference. But, as is typical with a good subwoofer, you didn't realize the difference until it's gone (or off). :)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Reminds me of the iPad prototype, which used an off-the-shelf developer board:

2005_ipad_prototype.jpg

And of course, who can forget the first Windows Mobile phone prototype from around 2000 or so:

first_wm_phone.jpg

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Haha old school PowerMac G3 with crappy pro mouse in tow. Those were the days.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..A few images covered the walls including one of Apple's "Think Different" posters of famous graphic designer Paul Rand and another of a large chicken running around without its head…..
Article Link: Inside the Room Where Apple Developed the Original iPhone Software

Wonder if that was a cocky little stab at some of their competitors, at the time?
Either that, or maybe a daily dose of self-motivation, with a reminder to remain focused and stay on track?

Last edited:

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Thanks to the Eagle Eye

We see, from the FACT that there's an iPhone 4 on that table, that this is a FALSE FLAG OPERATION, people! This is intended to be a so-called exhibit showing that Apple invented the iPhone, when the facts are that Samsung did it, and Apple stole the whole thing from the other guys!

Or, wait. Could it be that this is a room that fulfilled that function, but it isn't a museum yet, nor will it ever be -- that it doesn't have a curator, just maids that don't clean up spare room, and they can't touch the stuff the engineers leave around -- and somebody left that iPhone 4-era phone there? In the sacred iPhone shrine? It looks like just what I thought: a room where the dirty business of wireless protocols was done is not an interesting room. Jony Ive has the nice office. This is where the grunts go. Make the damn phone work.

----------

Seriously, that's the same model of Harman-Kardons I got way back with the Bondi Blue iMac. Still working. With my fifth iMac. That's 15 years now.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Or, wait. Could it be that this is a room that fulfilled that function, but it isn't a museum yet, nor will it ever be -- that it doesn't have a curator, just maids that don't clean up spare room, and they can't touch the stuff the engineers leave around -- and somebody left that iPhone 4-era phone there?

I'm pretty sure that is just a prototype touch panel, it just happens to look similar to the iPhone 4. I'm pretty sure that even though Apple may have been using an older powermac to simulate the slower speeds of a phone's processor they won't still be using a powerpc mac and maintaining a separate set of developer tools for it. This picture is from well before the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.