Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lokoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
So i just upgraded my Imac, and i wanna test out the Airplay mirroring and i get this -

hwwq54.png

As you can see it can't find my apple tv.

The apple tv is turned on, i can see it if i go into itunes, and i can see it on my iphone too.

the Imac is from 2012 too.

Does anyone have a clay why it says this?

bbeckes

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Me Too

Same thing happened to me, my iMac is only a few months old so I know its compatible with the upgrade.

dhodges

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
How to fix it

To elaborate on what another poster said, there is an update to the Apple TV software that fixes this problem.
Your AppleTV device should be running software version 5.01.
If it isn't, do the upgrade and your Apple TV will be available for Airplay from Mountain Lion.

DanielC88

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
New Zealand
Same problem her

I have the same problem and My Apple TV version is at 5.02. Initially the problem was that the sound could not be streamed. I can see the video n TV but the sound is still coming from my mac. I restarted it and the problem came out..no device detected..This is frustrating...mountain lion..

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Same issue here, "Not device detected," and yet AirPlay Mirroring was working fine last week. Apple TV2 is updated to latest version and all that.

But! I found a solution.

On your Apple TV go to Settings. Go to the Airplay tab. Airplay will be turned on most likely. Turn it off, then back on. The button immediately showed up on my Mac once I did that, and mirroring worked fine.

Kind of a work-around solution but it's pretty fast and does the job.

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
On your Apple TV go to Settings. Go to the Airplay tab. Airplay will be turned on most likely. Turn it off, then back on. The button immediately showed up on my Mac once I did that, and mirroring worked fine.
You're a genius! My AppleTV had been working perfectly with streaming from iTunes and Airplay Mirroring, but then last week it just wouldn't show up on my iMac anymore. I scoured all the forums, and Apple's own FAQ sheet, but had no luck. I didn't think to check the settings in the Apple TV but somehow the Airplay switch randomly reset its self to off. Grr...
Anyhow, thanks for the fix!

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008

This was the problem! After updating the Apple TV, it turned Airplay Off. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.