Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gewawd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
I bought an EarPods 2 nights ago. After a few hours of use, I noticed that the top of the Left EarPod sticks out a little because the oval-shaped Pod doesn't completely match with the overall shape of the Left EarPod. I decided to visit the Authorized Apple Reseller yesterday and asked them if I can get a replacement since it really hurts my left ear when inserting/adjusting the EarPod. They gave me one, but unfortunately, after also a few hours of usage, I noticed that the part the Left EarPod has the same problem, but this time, it's in the rear/left part where things stick out.

Here is a link to the photo of my replacement EarPod featuring the sticking out on the left piece on the left EarPod. You can imagine the same on my original purchase except that the sticking out is on the top. I'm starting to think that my original purchase and the replacement are from the same batch.

Has anyone else noticed this?

https://flic.kr/p/mtGd9b

(I am cross-posting this from Apple Support Communities. I apologize if I seem to be starting a thread in the iPod forum, but there just isn't an Apple Branded Accessories forum here in MacRumors.)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I have 3 pairs of EarPods here and all of them are perfectly smooth and perfectly aligned. The join should be almost invisible on a new pair of EarPods.

I'd say it's either a manufacturing defect, or (more likely) you have an eBay fake.

It's a little hard to tell, but the mesh in the gap where the speaker is doesn't look right to me either. And the "L" isn't as sharply printed as it is on mine.

gewawd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
I have 3 pairs of EarPods here and all of them are perfectly smooth and perfectly aligned. The join should be almost invisible on a new pair of EarPods.

I'd say it's either a manufacturing defect, or (more likely) you have an eBay fake.

It's a little hard to tell, but the mesh in the gap where the speaker is doesn't look right to me either. And the "L" isn't as sharply printed as it is on mine.

Hi, Reason077. I bought my pair in an Authorized Apple Reseller since Manila doesn't have an official Apple Store, yet. My replacement also came from the same Authorized Reseller. It's not bought online and the "L" print is just because of the light source and my iPad camera. I apologize about that. Therefore, debunking the claim of a fake EarPods.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Hi, Reason077. I bought my pair in an Authorized Apple Reseller since Manila doesn't have an official Apple Store, yet. My replacement also came from the same Authorized Reseller. It's not bought online and the "L" print is just because of the light source and my iPad camera. I apologize about that. Therefore, debunking the claim of a fake EarPods.

Just because a store is an "Authorized Apple Reseller" doesn't guarantee that everything they sell is genuine! Although this doesn't mean the store is deliberately defrauding you - they may have unknowingly received fakes from a distributor.

In any case, there's definitely something odd about those EarPods - quality issues like that are very unusual for Apple. I'd return them if I were you.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Mine aren't perfectly aligned, but they don't have a ridge like yours. I bought this pair shortly after the EarPods came out in 2012. I have 2 other pairs that came with the 2 iPhones I purchased last year, but I haven't opened them yet so I don't know if they have the ridge or not.

gewawd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
Just because a store is an "Authorized Apple Reseller" doesn't guarantee that everything they sell is genuine! Although this doesn't mean the store is deliberately defrauding you - they may have unknowingly received fakes from a distributor.

In any case, there's definitely something odd about those EarPods - quality issues like that are very unusual for Apple. I'd return them if I were you.

Thank you for the response. I am also betting on other circumstances such as if the problem only persists on the same batch from the distributor. Tomorrow, I will head to another Reseller and seek for another replacement pair. I'd like to refund them but unfortunately, every reseller here doesn't honor a refund, just replacements.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
The other poster is mistaken -- tose are not fakes. The L is fine and so is the mesh. I've had probably 6 pairs of earpods since they've come out and some weren't aligned perfectly at the join. And, I purchased directly from Apple. That's just how some of them are, and it is luck of the draw. I'd exchange them or purchase a pair from Apple online because they would definitely allow you to exchange or return them if need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.