Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaddestArvai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Wisconsin USA
So I saw on google and I saw this "Quad" G5 with a massive graphics card inside:

05pmg5_open-600.jpg

What kind of card is that? Looks super powerful and it also looks like it needs additional power.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Looks like thats sucker was water-cooled too. Was it available as a BTO?

All dual 2.5, dual 2.7, and quad 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5s were liquid cooled. However, the systems used on the duals were rather unreliable and leaked often. You were then left with rebuilding the the liquid cooling or waiting until it fried the logic board, PSU, and corroded the case.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
The best grafics sard for a quad or a dual core G5 is a Radeon 1900 XT from Ati it was available seperatly in 2006.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
All dual 2.5, dual 2.7, and quad 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5s were liquid cooled. However, the systems used on the duals were rather unreliable and leaked often. You were then left with rebuilding the the liquid cooling or waiting until it fried the logic board, PSU, and corroded the case.

I know about the machines, I was asking about the video card itself.

The video card is not liquid cooled.

Oh ok. Looks like it is.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
actually I would think there is liquid of sorts in those pipes, otherwise there would be no heat transfer from the GPU to the radiators.

They're solid copper heatpipes. Copper is a very good conductor of heat. Liquid wouldn't move around without a pump.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
They're solid copper heatpipes. Copper is a very good conductor of heat. Liquid wouldn't move around without a pump.
Thanks for that info.
Now as to liquid not moving around without a pump, good thing nobody told that that to our old hot water tank that was heated with a coil in the wood stove.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
yup, as said before, fx4500, or a flashed gtx 7800 512mb ..

very nice card, i also had one of these, and i also had the ati, the better card is the fx4500, gtx 7800. much quiter, and in some apps much faster..

actually, i still have both.. lol.. though my gtx7800 still needs to be flashed..
think i am starting a video card collection. :p nicest one i have is the 3dfxv5 5500 :)

Last edited:

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Most are solid. Those in the G5's video card are solid. I've cut them up for scrap copper in the past. Still quoting Wikipedia as a source doesn't make a good argument.

Interesting. None of the ones I've seen to this day have been solid. None.

If it's called a heat pipe, it's a pipe filled with a liquid. If it's solid, it's not a heat pipe.

I quoted Wikipedia, as it explains the basic principle of heat pipes quite well, and as such makes an excellent argument. You might want to read the linked article.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's called a heatpipr because it pipes or moves away the heat like a pipe carrying away water or gas.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Most are solid. Those in the G5's video card are solid. I've cut them up for scrap copper in the past. Still quoting Wikipedia as a source doesn't make a good argument.

Most are not solid. Having it solid defeats the entire purpose of a heat pipe in the first place. There is a liquid inside along with a 'wick' in a kind of vacuum, so it has a lower boiling point, which is why most times there is no liquid if you cut it open. Maybe the ones you took out were solid, but almost all of them have liquid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.