Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I would love to read your experiences with this.

I have the Samsung 840EVO 750GB SSD with latest firmware from december (EXT0BB6Q) mounted as the main drive. I still have the optical superdrive on the other bay.

System specs:
OSX 10.9.2 (13C64). MacBookPro8,1 13" (early 2011). 8GB RAM.

System completely stable before enabling TRIM.

I enabled TRIM from Terminal using this procedure:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18262191#post18262191

Although OSX reported TRIM as enabled and everything appeared to be working fantastically well I started getting random kernel panics every 2 or 3 days. I cannot remember when was the last time I saw a kernel panic on this machine, I could almost bet that I have gotten maybe 1 during the last whole year, so what I ended up doing was reverting the last major change I had done on this machine and I disabled TRIM with the command shown here:

https://digitaldj.net/blog/2011/11/17/trim-enabler-for-os-x-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks/

Voyla! The kernel panics totally disappeared.

It is a mystery to me why Apple does not let us freely enable TRIM on disks that are not sold by them, but after this experience I am starting to believe that there really is something wrong in the way OSX interacts with some SSDs if TRIM is enabled. Maybe there is a combination of factors that bring up this kind of issue. I am sure Apple knows about this and decided to only let TRIM to be enabled on their own, tested SSDs.

I think it is really a pity that Apple does not come clean with a clear statement about what is really happening here and give us a list of drives tested by them with whom OSX doesn't break. There has to be some bug in OSX because Windows does not have any problem in letting their users enable TRIM on all the SSD devices that support the command.

I did not have the chance to benchmark the disk with and without TRIM so don't really know what the impact of enabling TRIM would do to this system. I guess it's in the long run that TRIM will show its benefits. It is sad that I cannot enable it because it will help a lot with the garbage collection and with the future life of the drive.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Have you installed Mavericks on a clean disk or did you upgraded? I have upgraded several times (Snow Leopard -> Lion -> Mountain Lion -> Mavericks). Don't know if that could have something to do.

I would really like to have TRIM enabled but cannot stand the kernel panics it was producing. Don't know what to do.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...Although OSX reported TRIM as enabled and everything appeared to be working fantastically well I started getting random kernel panics every 2 or 3 days...
That info is useless without a kernel panic log. It is possible that other software causes the problems (for example old anti-virus software, older versions of VM software like Parallels, and so on).

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
That info is useless without a kernel panic log. It is possible that other software causes the problems (for example old anti-virus software, older versions of VM software like Parallels, and so on).

I have logs, but the facts are too clear to be ignored:

Before enabling TRIM: Stable system
After enabling TRIM: Random kernel panics every 2 or 3 days during a 2 weeks period
After disabling TRIM again: Stable system, no more kernel panics.

Rohirm

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
I have Samsung 840 500GB (DXT08B0Q) in my 5,1 MacPro with TRIM enabled. No issues here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.